PDA

View Full Version : New to me, used jeep, with issues

WesPa
02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Okay,

I recently got stationed at Fort Lee VA for a few months of training so I picked up a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country with a 4.0 from a deplying soldier to get around in while Im here. It worked fine for a while but now Im running into a few issues but Im not sre if they are connected or seperate.

First the idle is ruff. I have red some of the other posts and checked most of the issues with no real improvement. I have determined that the fuel pump and filter need to be changed which I think may help the idle. However, I am experiencing lag from a stop and Im not sure if it is related or a transmission problem now. There is a transmission leak that has started so I will be getting the gasket replaced to stop the leak I was just wondering If I should expect more once the transmission is opened up. Going with the worst case senario that it will need a rebuild of some sort is there any ideas as to how much that would normally cost to get done? Also with the transmission open should I get anything preventative done since I would already be in that deep, or if it is just the gasket replace and move on as to not stir up the bees nest?

Being away from home with little tools and on limited time I would have to have the work done instead of trying to do it myself. Any help is appreciated.

Good news is other than that the Jeep seems to be good. I got it relatively inexpensive so investing a bit more is not bad but a few thousand dollars for a new transmission would probably not be worth it.

slvmart
02-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I would assume that if you checked out the rough idle that you cleaned the IAC and the passage where it mounts. If that did not help did you have the IAC tested or did you replace it ? The stumbling on acceleration could be a Oxygen sensor(s).

Also does it set any codes ?

Last time I checked into a automatic trans rebuild for a Jeep, it was for a WJ, the estimate was for about $2K, at a reputable trans shop. But I would have a reputable trans shop check out your trans while they were replacing your gasket. I would think that they would change the trans filter and flush the fluid while they were at it.

Thanks for serving !

Brasscatz
02-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Okay,

I recently got stationed at Fort Lee VA for a few months of training so I picked up a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country with a 4.0 from a deplying soldier to get around in while Im here. It worked fine for a while but now Im running into a few issues but Im not sre if they are connected or seperate.

First the idle is ruff. I have red some of the other posts and checked most of the issues with no real improvement. I have determined that the fuel pump and filter need to be changed which I think may help the idle. However, I am experiencing lag from a stop and Im not sure if it is related or a transmission problem now. There is a transmission leak that has started so I will be getting the gasket replaced to stop the leak I was just wondering If I should expect more once the transmission is opened up. Going with the worst case senario that it will need a rebuild of some sort is there any ideas as to how much that would normally cost to get done? Also with the transmission open should I get anything preventative done since I would already be in that deep, or if it is just the gasket replace and move on as to not stir up the bees nest?

Being away from home with little tools and on limited time I would have to have the work done instead of trying to do it myself. Any help is appreciated.

Good news is other than that the Jeep seems to be good. I got it relatively inexpensive so investing a bit more is not bad but a few thousand dollars for a new transmission would probably not be worth it.

On my '97 country, the tranny rebuild was $1800, and the previous owner had it done. It's acutally a Toyota transmission, believe it or not. 6 months after I bought it, I had to have the transfer case cracked open and resealed.... would've been cheaper than the $500 I spent if it was done when the tranny was out in the first place. If you can swing it, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, the u-joints may be a good thing for them to check out, as well as the tranny mount. All of these prices will vary from shop to shop, so be sure to compare prices and read as many reviews as you can find on the net about the shops.

Other than that, check your IAC, vacuum lines, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, throttle body, injectors, CPS, TPS, etc.. That should give you a pretty good head start, and if it doesn't get it fixed, let us know and we'll be happy to help out some more. I know a solder's budget is much tighter than you deserve, so start with the cheapest and work up maybe.

By the way... Thank you VERY much for your service. I'm forever in debt. :usa: :patriot:

4.3LXJ
02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Before you get into the tranny, lets do some cheap things first. Get a bottle of sea foam and pour it in the gas tank and drive it. Second, change the O2 sensors out. Those two things will more than likely make a large difference.