PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 hybrid questions

07Negative
02-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Has anyone got info on the Dana 30/44 hybrid? I'm trying to figure out if what I want to do will coincide with the hybrid. I did find some cool products while searching.
These guys are just a few towns over from me in Pleasant Hill
http://www.reidracing.biz/off-road-products/dana-30-44-jeep-knuckles/chevy-heavy-duty-flat-top-dana-44-knuckles-2

What I originally wanted to do was switch out my single piston caliper for the WJ dual piston caliper brakes which would require WJ knuckles. I was thinking of getting the Alloy USA Super 30 inner and outers.
Locker will be either Eaton E-Locker or Detroit. Just depends on manual lock outs or not.
I am ditching my Rusty's steering conversion for a Over the Knuckle (OTK) but haven't finalized on which setup to go with. Or to just make it myself.
I have a HP Dana 30 sitting in the garage while I drive on the one I have under the XJ. I'll be cutting off all the brackets to make room for the axle truss.

4.3LXJ
02-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Dee Jay, I think the WJ set up is the easiest way to go for a high steer. While you are at it, see what the WJ uses for a track bar and use that too. The reason is that you can get bump steer if the drag link and track bar are not the same length and parallel. When you move the drag link up, then the track bar mount needs to be moved up too. But that puts it inside the coil, which won't work. I was always chasing death wobble and replacing and tightening, only to have it return. I finally said screw it and built a custom track bar that won't fall apart and is set up right. What a difference.

07Negative
02-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I've been reading about the different kinds of setup for steering. Y link which is OEM, Under the knuckle, Over the knuckle, Cross Over Steering, High steering.
What are the differences between Cross over and high steering?

Is it better/stronger to have the drag link not connected to the tie rod?
By the way. I've googled these questions. I haven't come up with answers.

07Negative
02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
I think I'm getting the concept on things now. Just got a really good ear full of information from the folks at Reid Racing. And for what work I can't or don't want to do. It seems as if the cats at W.F.O in Auburn, Ca. know their way around things.
Man I'm getting really stoked about finally putting things together. Jeep parts are taking up space in garage.

4.3LXJ
02-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Be sure to post pics Dee Jay

07Negative
02-18-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm the worst when it comes to build threads. But I think I'm going to put a really strong effort into making one. Like many of us. I have financial restraints. So I'm going to collect all the parts before I build it. Axles are a new thing for me to learn. So once I have a rather thorough understanding of them. I want to make it easy for other new cats to comprehend.
Because of money limits. I'm setting my goal for this time next year to acquire needed and wanted parts.