PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of the unknown - etiquette

KH96XJ
02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.allproudamericans.com/No-Laughing-at-the-Tomb-of-the-Unknown-Soldier.html

http://youtu.be/vRTqnjRysec

4.3LXJ
02-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Yup, no messing around there. Those guys are really serious about that duty.

cherokeejim47
02-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Oh by the way that rifle the Proud Soldier is carrying is LOADED. And these guys are authorize to use DEADLY FORCE if needed. I know a retired Army Soldier and this was his Job. I know those who are interested should vist the
web page for The Tomb Unknown Soldier. And you will learn how and why these men that are Guards are so dedicated. By the way they also have a Barracks below the Monument where they are housed. Really interesting read indeed.

We might not like our President but we have to respect his Office.
Those who want change should vote.

OrangeXJ
02-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Oh by the way that rifle the Proud Soldier is carrying is LOADED. And these guys are authorize to use DEADLY FORCE if needed. I know a retired Army Soldier and this was his Job. I know those who are interested should vist the
web page for The Tomb Unknown Soldier. And you will learn how and why these men that are Guards are so dedicated. By the way they also have a Barracks below the Monument where they are housed. Really interesting read indeed.

We might not like our President but we have to respect his Office.
Those who want change should vote.

You got a link to the web site?

BlueXJ
02-16-2012, 08:18 AM
I also knew a guy that was a guard at the Tomb. He was a dedicated individual and he had some stories to tell about the training he went through.

chromelure
02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
I like to cut loose and laugh as much as anybody, but the disrespect in that situation is uncalled for. As I read these comments and see so many of the people who cared enough to serve this nation and put themselves in harms way for what makes America stand far above all others, I am sadened to see the great generation that still holds precious the values that make up integrity. As this generation passes, so passes the patriotism,honor, responsability,self worth and motivation. The new breed is a self serving, instant gratification,whiney, bunch. My grandfather and my father did not join and serve to recieve payment for college. They served because it was a civil responsability of any able bodied citizen who wished to enjoy those freedoms.
I thank each one who has served,even those who did it just for the college pay. Without your sacrifice we would not have these great freedoms. Freedom is not free, THANK YOU.

XJ Rat
02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Have to respect their dedication to duty. They are there 24/7. Matters not what is going on.

cpttuna
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
I have been there and have also worked with people who served in the 1st Bn 3rd inf. If your stuff isn't together, you don't get in. If you screw up, your gone.

Brasscatz
02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
:patriot: I don't know what it is, maybe the pride I see in our troops as they conduct their duties, maybe the pride I feel for my country and the pride I feel THEM feeling for their country, maybe having family that have served and sacrificed, friends past present and future that fought, fight, and will fight for me... for you... for all of us... I have such a rush of feelings and emotions when I witness or even hear about this kind of stuff. Thanks to all who have served, are serving, and that will serve. I am forever in your debt. :thumbsup: you are all superheros to me:character0028::usa:

cherokeejim47
02-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Snopes has some information. But as usual its is twisted a tad.
Arlington National Cemetery has info also. Best way to get the real facts are talk to Men who served at the tomb. I do know this. When the soldier starts his march across the mat. He Takes 21 Steps, With his Rifle on the shoulder away from the tomb. This is a way of protecting the tomb from the public. And when he returns on the march it is on the outside shoulder. Also he Pauses for 21 seconds at each end. About faces and goes back. Changing of the guard is done with PRECISION perfect in every way. Those of you who go please respect what you see. These proud soldiers are hand selected and a proud members of the Old Guard. Women are not allowed to serve at that postion.

dagr8tim
02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Last time I was there, I was kind of pissed that people were wearing hats and talking, and just having a grand old time during the changing of the guard. And this was in the early 2000's.