PDA

View Full Version : Noisy lifter giving me head aches!

Mikentucky72
02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I was wondering if any of yall have a link or FSM on how to fix my noisy rocker/lifter tick. It is getting much louder and I am afraid it is gonna fly apart very soon. MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY!
Rock out with your Jeep out!!!:yourock:

pvt.tadpolxj
02-15-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure i have the right answer for your 2000 xj, Most of the earlier Cherokee's have a preset valve train....I mean all of the lifter's are torqued down meaning they are not adjustable...I hope it is something like you are a little low on oil!....Good Luck....xjtalk...

JENSSEN
02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
http://www.lucasoil.ca/products/index.asp

/thread

pvt.tadpolxj
02-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I know one thing that will help your Xj is start using a good brand of the Valvoline oil...It is very high in the Zinc/Phosphorus element's that these 6 cylinder's need....:rolleye0012:

LizardRunner
02-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Jennsen gave you the best link. Now if the Lucas treatment doesn't quiet it down, it's time for new lifters. Lifters are hydrolic and "pump up" to keep the push rods moving the valves properly. If they get clogged and won't respond to in the engine cleaning via Lucas or MMO etc. you will have to at least pull them and give them a good cleaning or replace them.

Mikentucky72
02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
It's gettin scary loud......

Mudderoy
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
It's gettin scary loud......

Anyway you can record a video, or just sound would be fine, and post it on youtube, then put the youtube link here?

Cheromaniac
02-18-2012, 08:17 AM
I was wondering if any of yall have a link or FSM on how to fix my noisy rocker/lifter tick.

You could try Marvel's Mystery Oil.

LizardRunner
02-22-2012, 08:47 AM
If it's getting louder, you will at least need to pull the cover and adjust the valve lash so you don't bend a push rod. I'd be seriously thinking about just going ahead and replacing the lifters if adjusting the valve lash doesn't work. Also are you sure the noise is from the top end? you can use a stethascope to locate the exact valve (through the cover) if you don't hear it there, it might be a knocking rod which is very serious and needs immediate attention.

xj4life2
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Well at least on the 2000 the lifters can be replaced with out head removal, as for the additives..... the is no such thing as a mechanic in a can.

Mudderoy
02-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Well at least on the 2000 the lifters can be replaced with out head removal, as for the additives..... the is no such thing as a mechanic in a can.

They can?!?!?!? I need to find a picture...

xj4life2
02-22-2012, 06:24 PM
ooppppss my bad wrong head, for some reason I was thinking of the aftermarket head. Still its only a 5 hour job :(

Mudderoy
02-22-2012, 06:40 PM
ooppppss my bad wrong head, for some reason I was thinking of the aftermarket head. Still its only a 5 hour job :(

lol only. That's a 12 hour job for me, because nothing ever goes perfect.

Mikentucky72
02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I am just gonna do a head swap, $425 with gasket kit. I think I could get it done in a weekend if nothing goes horribly wrong. WE SHALL SEE

N8N
02-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Keep in mind that a reman head won't come with lifters, you'll need to purchase those separately, those are down in the block. Get some good assembly lube as well, gob the lifters up well, and follow cam break in procedure once you get it back together. Read the instructions that come w/ new lifters - you may need to soak them in oil overnight before install so they fill w/ oil. Finally if you have the head off if you need a new header now is the time to do it because you're going to be pulling the intake and exhaust anyway. Now why AMC didn't put side covers on the block, I dunno, I guess the 258/4.0 was always intended to have hydraulic lifters so there's no real "need" for side covers, but having to pull the heads to replace lifters is a PITA...

I've been closing my ears to the same issue :) my heep is parked in the driveway right now though because I'm still addressing a lot of PO-inflicted minor issues and adding some accessories and it's not my DD (most notably, hacked up door panels and poor stereo installation, also adding fog lights and cruise to make this an all-weather driver) Once I get that all done though I hope the MMO does the trick and I don't end up pulling the head :(