PDA

View Full Version : Performance rotor opinions

Ben824
02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Ok I need some new rotors and the ones I usually buy from JC Whitney are on clearance and only have the passenger side left in stock. I usually buy the Roto-Tech cross-drilled and slotted rotors which are directional which is why I cannot just buy two passenger side rotors.

They have other options for performance rotors for an XJ and I am having difficulty making a decision on which one.

This is $49.95 for a set of zinc plated dimpled and slotted rotors. Never heard of zinc plated rotors so I am unsure of their performance, life, and reaction to Duralast gold semi pads.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/zinc-plated...=d1163y1997j1#

This is $76.99 for each rotor for drilled and slotted rotors with no special coatings. The same company offers just slotted rotors for $64.00 so don't know if the holes really make a big difference.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/centric-spo...d=d1163y1997j1

Anyways I would like to hear which ones yall think is a better buy.

I know that I could get a good set of regular OE style rotors for really cheap and its just a Jeep so why would I bother with performance rotors, but with 33x12.50 KM2s and steel wheels every little bit helps and I did notice that brake fade was completely eliminated with the drilled and slotted rotors which I really liked so I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get some better stopping performance. This is also my daily driver so all the more reason to spend the extra money and have better braking.

xj4life2
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
For high performance rotors and pads these are the only ones I use, check them out, read all the info and make a choice. I'm sure you'd be very happy with these.
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/index.shtml

N8N
02-14-2012, 07:28 PM
I bought a pair of the Centric premium rotors off Amazon for the free shipping

Amazon.com: Centric Parts 120.67045 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41c8ozA3x8L.@@AMEPARAM@@41c8ozA3x8L

these guys seem to like them, and it sounds like their pads are good as well (albeit spendy)

http://blackmagicbrakes.com/

I bought Performance Friction Carbon Metallics, not overwhelmed by stopping power, but it does stop better than it did before (now that the rears are adjusted properly.)

XJ Wheeler
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
For high performance rotors and pads these are the only ones I use, check them out, read all the info and make a choice. I'm sure you'd be very happy with these.
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/index.shtml

I have a set of their sport rotors and yellow stuff pads waiting to go on.:D

They seem like a quality product but $$$.

LizardRunner
02-15-2012, 09:18 PM
You did good.. cheep brakes are just that. I have ebc on da lizard and will be putting a set on the wifes mini soon. way more important to have the woah before you add any go.

Mudderoy
02-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I bought a pair of the Centric premium rotors off Amazon for the free shipping

Amazon.com: Centric Parts 120.67045 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-120-67045-Premium--Coating/dp/B000C01TUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329269236&sr=8-1)

these guys seem to like them, and it sounds like their pads are good as well (albeit spendy)

http://blackmagicbrakes.com/

I bought Performance Friction Carbon Metallics, not overwhelmed by stopping power, but it does stop better than it did before (now that the rears are adjusted properly.)

Remember if you click on the amazon.com banner on our home page before purchasing at Amazon, you help support xjtalk, for FREE! :spongebob:

bigjim350
02-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Ive never liked drilled and slotted rotors. You cant turn em, so you have to buy them more often.

XJ Rat
02-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I am all for upgraded pads, but the rotors...Our Jeeps are not sports cars, if driven as such, get a sports car. Cross drilling has a tendancy to crack. That is one reason why few cars come from the factory with them. Dimpled/slotted rotors, go thru mud and those slots fill with mud. To me that is the same as sandpaper on the rotors and pads. Once again, great for a street car, but most Jeeps go off road. Just my opinion...

mocrawlin
03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
you guys know of anyone that has upgraded brake components for the 89 xj 4x4? ebc list 90 and up. whats the difference?

Mudderoy
03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
you guys know of anyone that has upgraded brake components for the 89 xj 4x4? ebc list 90 and up. whats the difference?

Probably not what you're looking for but I noticed an improvement when I replaced the OEM brake lines with the stainless steel. I'll know more after I get it inspected and see if the guy complains about braking again. :D

xj4life2
03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Ive never liked drilled and slotted rotors. You cant turn em, so you have to buy them more often.

You might wanna check on that Jim , we turn them all the time.As long as thier not below min. spec. they turn fine.

Mudderoy
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
You might wanna check on that Jim , we turn them all the time.As long as thier not below min. spec. they turn fine.

About how much do you charge? I find the price difference between new and turned isn't worth the time.

bigjim350
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM

What brake lathe are u using?

Sent from my VM670

mocrawlin
03-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Probably not what you're looking for but I noticed an improvement when I replaced the OEM brake lines with the stainless steel. I'll know more after I get it inspected and see if the guy complains about braking again. :D

i got my 4wd.com catalog in the mail this afternoon, and they list power slot short stop brake kits for the early xj, and ssbc big bite pads also.

just thought i would post it incase anyone else was searching for them.

i also have turned drilled rotors, you have to be very gentle in taking material off, and we also used a drill bit (lil larger then the holes) to rechamfer (spelling,lol) them. on good quality rotors that probably isnt needed, but these were cheapies my cousin had, chamfer wasnt very good originally. used an amco(pretty sure?) lathe.

4.3LXJ
03-02-2012, 09:14 AM

There is a slight improvement there, but not a lot. You have to change steering knuckles to the later knuckles to accommodate a slightly larger pad. The real jump comes when you go to WJ knuckles and brakes. A better option would be to use the ZJ double diaphragm booster. Pretty much a bolt in and one I will do when it shows up.

mocrawlin
03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
There is a slight improvement there, but not a lot. You have to change steering knuckles to the later knuckles to accommodate a slightly larger pad. The real jump comes when you go to WJ knuckles and brakes. A better option would be to use the ZJ double diaphragm booster. Pretty much a bolt in and one I will do when it shows up.

what year ZJ? do you have to change to the ZJ master cylinder also? sorry, i searched it, but i didnt see the answer anywhere.

bigjim350
03-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Hey no need to worry about the searching thing here. We dont worry about that. From what I have seen, the zj and the xj master cylider are the same. As far as what year..im not sure. Ive seen people use them from as old as 94. So id say 94+

mocrawlin
03-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Hey no need to worry about the searching thing here. We dont worry about that. From what I have seen, the zj and the xj master cylider are the same. As far as what year..im not sure. Ive seen people use them from as old as 94. So id say 94+

thanks bigjim, will be my next item on the "to do" list. lol list is getting bigger by the minute! will the zj disk brake setup work on the dana 35 axles? i have seen them put on the 8.25, but not on the 35. hoping its because noone likes the 35, but for now im gonna keep it, and would like to put disks on the back also. thanks.

bigjim350
03-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Yeah it is a complete bolt on, on the d35. Just make sure you also get the disc brake propotianing valve from the zj also.

mocrawlin
03-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Yeah it is a complete bolt on, on the d35. Just make sure you also get the disc brake propotianing valve from the zj also.

sweet! im gonna hit the jy next couple weeks. i know the 35 is a turd, and i plan to get 44's when i get the money saved, but i figured i would make these stop atleast! lol

bigjim350
03-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Well the 35 is not great, but it will handle mild wheeling. The d44 is ok i guess, but the 29spline 8.25 is alot easier to come buy and will handle locked 33's and anything under that.

mocrawlin
03-05-2012, 01:25 AM
saving for the g2 44 front and g2 rockjock 60 rear. both with arb's, and 4.56 gears. and a 6.5" lift and 35's. started collecting parts for the 4.6 stroker. and i am keeping my eyes open for a ax15 trans. hoping by this time next year it will be the way i want it.just gonna throw a budget lift and 30's on it for this year.

bigjim350
03-05-2012, 01:26 AM
damn dude what kind of wheeling do you do? Might have to make a trip to missouri

mocrawlin
03-05-2012, 01:31 AM
i have always wanted to build one of these rigs up. buddy of mine had one on 36's and i loved it. so i figure if im gonna do it, im gonna do it like i want. lol we have alot of places to go wheelin in southern mo. heck the big 4x4 mags do alot of stuff around here. skyjacker has a trails park in northern arkansas im pretty sure. i want to be able to get in and out of anywhere i go. lol ive never done much rock crawlin in full size rigs, just the radio controlled stuff, so im gonna start doin that some. lol sorry, o.p. way off topic here. lol:sign0181:

cpttuna
03-05-2012, 07:15 PM
I looked for ones made in the USA. I'll take TIMKEN if I can get them.