PDA

View Full Version : Am I just a little strange?

triumphtek
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I am almost finished with an (almost ) total rebuild of my '86 XJ.
Unlike most jeep owners, I have been trying to bring her back to original factory specs, I think I might be the only person in Jeepworld that's trying to do this ! I have scoured the US, Canada & Europe to get original parts & have come to the conclusion that nobody has an XJ with the original suspension!!
Right now, I'm busy with the rear end & have figured out a way to fit a D44 trak-lok in my D35 axle BUT WHERE THE HECK CAN I GET GET A PAIR OF STOCK HEIGHT REAR SPRINGS?
The ones on mine look like they came off a Mitsubishi truck, SO, If any member wants a complete XJ lift kit, they are welcome to come & get it in Midwest City for half the price of a new pair of leaf springs!! (or a straight swap for stock factory originals)
PS. my local hardware store, carries the wellnuts that mount the radiator & I have a spare set of screw seals for the factory roof rack (free to anyone who needs them, you need 12, I had to buy a minimum of 25!)
PPS. I can now fabricate new AC hoses using modern R134A barrier hose on your end fittings, the cost starts at around $25.00 according to length.

4.3LXJ
02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Check 4WD or quadratec for the rear springs. Or you can have the current springs re arched to bring them back to factory specs. Personally I would do the re arch to get a true factory spec.

Brasscatz
02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Dang! How much of a lift? I'm in Houston, but dang it!!! Nice deal!

saar
02-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Short answer, yes. you are a little strange :)
But we all are.
That is why we are here.
I used to say that it is cheaper than going to a shrink, but lately I found out that it doesn't :(

Saar

bluedragon436
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Short answer, yes. you are a little strange :)
But we all are.
That is why we are here.
I used to say that it is cheaper than going to a shrink, but lately I found out that it doesn't :(

Saar

Sure it is cheaper... You might spend more in the end on the Jeep addiction, but you get rewards every time you get to drive it, and every time you get to take it out to the trails and the mud and have a fun filled day enjoying your hard work and money spent.. Where you going to manage that from a shrink??

bluedragon436
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
As far as looking for new leafs.. check out one of our sponsors 1A Tony (http://www.1aauto.com/1A/LeafSprings/Jeep/Cherokee/-/-/1989) or Rock-Road Outfitters (http://www.rocky-road.com/xjspring.html)

triumphtek
02-15-2012, 07:37 AM
OK, in answer to Y'all (did I get that right?)
The rear springs have got the Mitsubishi logo printed on them, I took out the 1 1/2" lift blocks & &the back end was still way high !!
Now a bit of extra ground clearance on the body shell is fine, but I always thought that the main reason for "lifting" was to allow you to fit bigger wheels ! you can raise the body 20 feet, but the limiting factor will always be the bottom of the banjo (doughnut ?) on the axles!
Steve,
If I were to straighten the rear springs, the shackles would have no place left to go ! ha.
Brasscatz,
I can get the whole kit to Dallas, if that would help, F&R springs, "U" bolts, lift blocks, shocks etc.
Saar,
Yep! good to be strange!
Bluedragon,
All I can say to you is: GTCP165-1A (can you guess what I did before I retired ? ha)
Finally, this is just the back end, I've still got the 30' springs in the front to change (sigh)
ps. I've seen a bunch of threads regarding the vacuum system, I can write out a comprehensive guide for anyone with a 2.8 !

4.3LXJ
02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
You are right, the pumpkin on the diffs do limit you. But also there is merit in lifting the body. I have 8" of lift currently and still have rocker panel damage. It depends on what you are wheeling in.

triumphtek
02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Well, the I40 can be pretty rough!

BlueXJ
02-15-2012, 01:15 PM
If the Mitsu logo is on the springs then someone built a bastard pack and you need to scour the junkyards. All rear springs were the same unless yours was a towing package recipient. That is true up until 96 when spring rates changed to a heavier rear spring in all XJs equivalent to the earlier towing package. HTH

DETOURS
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
I dont think you're strange, I like you more!;)

DETOURS
02-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I just hope you dont have the V6........:sign0181:

triumphtek
02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Yep! got the V6
But I kinda like it,it runs like a little clockwork mouse! (high end revs works out the same as low end grunt!!)

DETOURS
02-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Someone on FB contacted me for advise after spinning a connecting rod bearing out of the blue the other day......only had 86k on the motor....keep your oil fresh!

cpttuna
02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
My Imaginary friend thinks you have serious mental problems.

triumphtek
02-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Don't have an imaginary friend, but my REAL friend helped me build the engine (& tranny & transfer case etc.) it took a while though, he snagged a horn on the engine stand & his wings kept getting in the way!
He assures me that all my mental problems are in my imagination!
He also assures me that he wiped all the bearing shells clean (after something corrosive & toxic accidentally dripped out of one of his fangs!).

triumphtek
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Got bored one day & decided to look into your Constitutional amendments.
Not jeep related, but you might like it!

A (not too serious) look at The Amendments to the US. Constitution.

One, is Religion & speech & the press.

Two, is for pistols (& rifles I guess)

Three, are the soldiers, outside my doors,

Four, search & seizure (& probable cause)

Five, is indictment & eminent Domain,
Due process (& not cause myself any pain)

Six, is my right to a legal defence,
To confront my accuser, (with twelve of my friends?)

Seven, is the jury trial (Civil of course)
Enacted according to the Common Laws

Eight, is the cruel & unusual jail,
Excessive fines & exhorbitant bail.

Nine, is “Power to the People” it’s said
(now try to rhyme un-enumerat-ed !)

Ten, limits power to the “Fed” institution
In doubt, just refer: The US Constitution !

Eleven, for foreigners & those out of state,
Sovereign immunity ! Can’t litigate.

Twelve, is procedure (& also protections)
Revising the rules for Presidential elections

Thirteen, What humanitarians crave,
Abolish the workers unpaid, (therefore slave!)

Fourteen, defines all a citizens rights
Post, civil war issues, North & South no longer fight.

Fifteen, is suffrage, do not be rude,
About race, or color, or previous servitude.

Sixteen, the Federal Government was lax,
They need more money “so collect income tax”

Seventeen, the people must be protected
So Senators now are directly elected.

Eighteen, is alcohol, Volstead I fear,
Denied us the right to go out for a beer.

Nineteen, for women was long overdue
They get to vote just the same now, as you.

Twenty, for Congress, January three.
Jan twenty for Presidents (Lame Ducks agree)

Twenty one, repeals eighteen, so don’t raise a stink
Now that all adults can legally drink.

Twenty two, Irrespective of Presidents past,
A max of two terms (F.D.R.s was the last!)

Twenty three, now the voters can jump up with glee,
Electoral College in Washington DC.

Twenty four, is for poll tax unpaid, (get a note)
But they still can’t deny you the right to a vote.

Twenty five, is for Tyler & his precedent,
It defines who succeeds a removed President.

Twenty six, says “at eighteen although you can’t drink”
You now have the vote (that’s progress I think!)

Twenty seven, is for Congress, their pay you’ll agree
May not be affected ‘till January three.

There are six more still pending ‘though two have expired’
Equal rights, DCs voting,( now I’m getting tired)
Corwin’s amendment should be struck from the scene
And so should child labor now that is just mean!
Congressional Apportionment, may be that’s a thought
But Dukes in the US. ? will surely come to naught !

AD. 2011.

triumphtek
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I think my pc has a mind of it's own, (I sometimes wish I had) I might have doubled a post, if so, apologies!