PDA

View Full Version : Rear Air Locker and Front Lunchbox

jccatt
02-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Has anyone mixed an air locker and a lunchbox locker. I did and the first trip I blew the lunchbox to bits. It was a Spartan. I have read this has been an issue? Im keen for feedback as I dont want to get another lunchbox and distroy it too.

Green Jeep Mobile

xjmarc
02-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I've been running a Spartan in the front of mine with 38s for about a year and a half and it's holding up fine. Did you check your clearances before you ran it?

jccatt
02-15-2012, 11:47 PM
I've been running a Spartan in the front of mine with 38s for about a year and a half and it's holding up fine. Did you check your clearances before you ran it?

Is that with an air locker in the rear? My Sparton was fine till I put the air locker in the rear.

Green Jeep Mobile

Mudderoy
02-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Why would an air locker make any difference? Would it be because of the additional stress due to the rear locker? If that's the case wouldn't it be for any locker not just an air?

4.3LXJ
02-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Why would an air locker make any difference? Would it be because of the additional stress due to the rear locker? If that's the case wouldn't it be for any locker not just an air?

That is a good question. An auto locker has some give in it because it will put traction to the wheel with the most traction and allow the other side to free wheel if needed. An air locker will act like a spool when locked thereby increasing stress on the axle locked and to some extent to the rest of the drive train.

But even so, the automatic nature of the auto front locker should compensate for that by releasing pressure on one side or another and negate that. I suspect that there was something wrong with said locker. As I read other forums on this subject there seems to be two kinds of lunchbox lockers. Those that fail and those who don't. The brand doesn't seem to matter. Many times it can be boiled down to an installation issue.

jccatt
02-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Makes sense about the unlocking of the auto locker. That was my train of thought that it was just a coincidence. Just not keen to put another one in and blow another diff. Im with you guys in thinking it shouldnt matter. If it did two air lockers would blow diffs.

Green Jeep Mobile

xjmarc
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Sorry for the late response. No I don't have an air locker in the rear I have a spool so it's like your locker when it's engauged but can't be disengauged.

jccatt
02-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Sorry for the late response. No I don't have an air locker in the rear I have a spool so it's like your locker when it's engauged but can't be disengauged.

Cheers, yeah would be the same effect and constant.

Green Jeep Mobile

denverd1
02-20-2012, 08:50 AM
JCCat,
any idea why your spartan bit the dust? Got lockers on the list and just wanna rule out any issues.

jccatt
02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
JCCat,
any idea why your spartan bit the dust? Got lockers on the list and just wanna rule out any issues.

Sorry mate no idea, the big centre pin exploded.

Green Jeep Mobile

4.3LXJ
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
OK, now we are getting somewhere. Now, the thing is: did you egg shape the holes in the carrier? If not, there are some that take issue with soft cross pins. I haven't personally had trouble there, but some say so. As far as I can tell, there is no reason you cannot use the stock hardened cross pin in the average lunchbox locker.

xjmarc
02-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Did the cross pin actually break? I've seen where the roll pin comes out or breaks and lets the shaft slide back and forth till it catches and grenades the locker, carrier and whatever else it can.

jccatt
02-21-2012, 01:14 AM
The pin broke in half. The small pin comming out and letting the big pin fall and jam and snap sounds plausible. The locker jamed then the big pin exploded under presure.