PDA

View Full Version : Problem with UCA bushing at axle

bentandtwisted
02-13-2012, 10:45 PM
So I have been trying to get this '92 back on the road after the PO did a number on it. :bang:

I am currently battling the UCA bushing on the driver side of the axle. When I removed the upper arm the bushing just fell out. I figured that it was just worn so I ordered a new set. The new bushing also just slides into the housing with no effort what so ever.

I have done some searching but do seem to be able to find an oversized bushing anywhere.

Any thoughts on how to fix the situation short of replacing the housing?

XJ4IV
02-13-2012, 10:57 PM
see there has to be some sort of screw up cause just two days ago I bought the SAME bushings from autozone... I get em home and they are too big... like too wide for my control arm housing... Im building a front axle and Im down to that part where I mock up my link towers and I go today to mock them in place and they dont fit for nothing... what gives?

XJ4IV
02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
can you post a pic of what part you got as well as the part number? Ill do tha same with mine maybe we can fix out parts suppliers LOL

bentandtwisted
02-13-2012, 11:16 PM
The bushings I picked up fit into the upper control arm but fall out of the houshing (no press fit). I am guessing that the bore in the housing is bad. If I can't find an oversized bushing I will probably just weld a couple beads in the bore and cram the bushing in there until I can pick up another housing.

I will post up a pic and the part # for you tomorrow.

4.3LXJ
02-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Those bushings don't go in tight anyway. The have a taper on them. But the cast iron could be worn out on the housing. Is the bushing going in all the way to the flange?

bentandtwisted
02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah, the bushing is going all the way to the flange with no resistance what so ever when I install it from the left side going toward center. If I install it from the center toward the driver side it will stop at the step in the shell but still just pushes right back out.

bentandtwisted
02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
can you post a pic of what part you got as well as the part number? Ill do tha same with mine maybe we can fix out parts suppliers LOL

I got home from work late and didn't get a chance to take any pics. I will try again tomorrow.

XJ4IV
02-15-2012, 09:44 PM
no worries I think Ive given up on that method and decided to go with a Johnny joint

bentandtwisted
02-16-2012, 07:49 PM
A Johnny Joint instead of a bushing, interesting!

Please do tell how you plan to go about it?