PDA

View Full Version : Over the knuckle steering

Metlic53
02-09-2012, 12:41 AM
ive got a 97 cherokee with about 5 inches of lift, the steering sucks so i called up a shop that does that kind of work, told them i wanted an over the knuckle steering kit and they gave me a quote of 1500 dollars for the steering kit, and that included the trac bar bracket... They need to move the track bar up i guess? Does that sound like a good price? im in the houston area if anyone knows someone that does that for cheaper cuz that sounds a little higher than what i wanted to spend.
Thanks

Xjay98
02-09-2012, 01:36 AM
What do you mean by suck?

msmoorenburg
02-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Need more info :D I would say i'm around 5in too and I have no issues. Come by sometime and we can check it out

Xjay98
02-09-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm at 5 too with no issues. Running ZJ tie rod and WJ p/s pump.

Metlic53
02-09-2012, 08:04 AM
The tie rod ends are wore out and i've had bump steer ever since i lifted it which i would rather not have

OrangeXJ
02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
lower your air pressure that helps with bump steer

4.3LXJ
02-09-2012, 10:11 AM
If you have bump steer, then you likely have a problem with the track bar set up you have now. Do you have a dropped pitman arm? They come with a lot of kits. Measure the points of attachment. You should be able to draw a line between each point that makes a perfect parallelogram. So here is the deal. If you go OTK, then to keep everything parallel, you would need to drop the frame end track bar mount by the same amount as the tie rod end is raised on the steering knuckle. You might check Ironman Andy's heavy duty track bar. His is lowered I believe and may fix the angle problem you have now and is bolt in. OTK kits are available and cheaper than that 1.5K price tag you were quoted. For that kind of money, I would expect something like what I have with a complete high steer kit and new super heavy duty track bar and mount

Metlic53
02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
If you have bump steer, then you likely have a problem with the track bar set up you have now. Do you have a dropped pitman arm? They come with a lot of kits. Measure the points of attachment. You should be able to draw a line between each point that makes a perfect parallelogram. So here is the deal. If you go OTK, then to keep everything parallel, you would need to drop the frame end track bar mount by the same amount as the tie rod end is raised on the steering knuckle. You might check Ironman Andy's heavy duty track bar. His is lowered I believe and may fix the angle problem you have now and is bolt in. OTK kits are available and cheaper than that 1.5K price tag you were quoted. For that kind of money, I would expect something like what I have with a complete high steer kit and new super heavy duty track bar and mount

i have andys bar sitting in my garage, i may throw it on there and see what happens, I already have rustys track bar on it as of right now

Metlic53
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM

i dont have a dropped pitman arm, should i get one? how long of a dropped one should i get?

4.3LXJ
02-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Whether or not you get one depends on what is happening with your track bar. As I said, those mounting points for the drag link and trac bar need to form a parallelogram. Get your track bar in first then assess the possibility of a drop pitman arm.

Metlic53
02-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Whether or not you get one depends on what is happening with your track bar. As I said, those mounting points for the drag link and trac bar need to form a parallelogram. Get your track bar in first then assess the possibility of a drop pitman arm.

Alright, i get off work at 5:30 and i'll post up some pictures, lowering the air pressures did help, i usually run 32psi in them, i lowered them to 28 in each and it helped a little.

07Negative
02-18-2012, 01:15 AM
The steering isn't the best in a XJ either.
$1,500 is a rip off by the way. When you do OTK steering. You have to bring track bar mount located on the axle up. So it's out of the way. Sway bar brackets usually have to be relocated as well. But even with a OTK track bar, new brackets, plus tie rod & drag link. I'm thinking around $800 in parts and that's using expensive aftermarket parts.

Kenny811
03-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I just got a Rustys complete kit ( $480 ) it would have been close to the for all the parts separate. Im getting ready to install it this weekend. The only hang up for some is you have to weld the track bar bracket in. So its not bolt up. But I dont know $1500 sounds like a lot.