PDA

View Full Version : Tires, tires,tires. Whats your tire of choice?

OhJeepers
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Me an a fellow jeep buddy got into a discussion over different tires, our favorite tires, and pro's an con's of different tires. ( We have no life outside of rocks an jeeps, and we are aware of this :cool: ). So naturally I thought hey this would be a pretty cool thread on here. So whats your favorite tires to run, tires you want to run, pro's an con's, best tires in your eye's etc. Chat it up:D!

4.3LXJ
02-08-2012, 01:07 PM
This ought to go on for awhile. LOL

My personal choice is determined by application. Since I drive mine daily, and sometimes on long distances to get to where I want to wheel, then it is KM2s. Just bought a couple. They have good flex in them and fairly quiet on the highway. But if I was buying a strictly rock tire, it would be either KMs with the soft compound or IROKS with the same. For mud use, and still legal on the road it would be Boggers. For deep snow, it would be grooved Swamper SSRs. Strictly sand, paddles of course.

OhJeepers
02-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I forgot to add my personal favorite. my favorite all around are pitbull rockers hands down. They're awesome in rocks and in mud. For a daily driver would be the pitbull growlers(go figure pitbull tires again ha) I do like the red labels though. I would love them for a straight rock rig seeing as that's my fancy, I like it on the rocks ;)

702XJCruiser
02-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm in the desert. For me it's BFG AT's. Quiet and long lasting. I've been driving mine out here in the rocks and dirt for 2 years and the tires are holding up nice. No damages to the sidewalls or tread surfaces.

LizardRunner
02-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Hmmm tires tires tires. Oh Wait, since I'm getting ready to start up JeepSpeed racing, I have it easy!!! JS Rules require General Tire Grabbers (go figure.. general tire sponsors the events), My current fav is the AT2 (works great on the tracks or on the road, but then I pretty much have to get into the habit of saying that. Now IF I had Choices to make, I would be going with KM's, KM2's or Boggers. Just because I like the looks of those and others say good things about them too.

bluedragon436
02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
I have run the Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain's as well as the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.. I love them both, but the Pro Comp's were way quiter on the street, and they weren't directional.. which was nice.. especially for the spare..

bigjim350
02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
I'd have to go with the Pitbull Rockers also

Carves
02-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Road tyre ... Michelin.

A/T ... Ive been using Hankooks for years now ...

Knobbies ... since they would only be used now & then ... Something cheap ... probably Maxxis ... and maybe the Trepadors coz they have the sidewall mouldings like the Hankook.

Mudderoy
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I've only bought one, well techincally two I guess. The BFG MT KM and BFG MT KM2. I like the tread pattern on the KM much better but the KM2's really ride nice. I consider the KM2s a mix between a MT and AT tire though.

KH96XJ
02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I've had the BFG MT KM's on the FSJ I used to have and running BFG A/T's currently. I liked the KM's better even though they were louder. I ran some TSL swampers for a couple weeks, but they were way to obnoxious to drive on the street. If I ever buy a new set of tires I might try some Kumho Road Venture MT or Yokohama Geolander MT+ just to try something different.

DETOURS
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
It's a regional question.....honestly your favorite tire in Florida wont perform in New England, or Michigan.....A California favorite might perfom differently from southern to northern California.......not to mention Washington.....it's regional and regional expectations.......;)

OhJeepers
02-12-2012, 10:11 PM
I kinda agree with you detours but some tires can do it all I would say. I do have to say nitto has done pretty good designing tsome tires to go every where. Saw some in action for the first time this weekend. But another good one all my mudding buddies run is ofcourse interco, which I've seen ran all over the country from rocks, sand, to mud.. Although they have stamped they're name in the mud world

prerunner1982
02-12-2012, 10:29 PM
I have always wanted to try the Hercules Trail Digger.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/images/Hercules-Trail-Digger.jpg

XJ Rat
02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
I ran Super Swamper TSL on my XJ and my TJ. This has got to be one of the better off-road tires. But for street driving, it is lousy. Wears out quick, loud (very loud above 40), marginal dry traction, poor wet traction........but this tire rocks off road.

For street driving, I have the Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. After 10K street driving it is quiet and smooth. The tires come with a 50K tread wear out warranty from Falken. Off road they are not Swampers but still do good. In soft sand and trail riding they worked good (A dry Creekside). One draw back, these tires stink. Literally they smell. If you park inside, roll your windows up at least for the first month. But for the price and wear warranty, these tires are hard to beat.

XJ4IV
02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
for rock crawling I have enjoyed the swampers... Ive used others like bf all terrains... no success, goodyear mt-r no success on the older ones before the kevlar
I wheel with a buddy who has the kevlars and his have held up great to everything I went through so I guess those guys are a great option as well

cantab27
02-15-2012, 01:21 AM
round ones..............................kl71s spit mud like its going outta fascion....

4.3LXJ
02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Boggers Wayne, ya need boggers ...

dagr8tim
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I do about equal on & offroad. I like the BFG's. I even have a set on my offroad trailer.

nv6r
02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
I came up short on cash to get a set of ATs and found a deal on Hercules Terra-Tracs. I know one thing, it is probably one of the better cheap ATs that I have ever ran. I can go through snow and ice in 2wd that I could never even think about going through in 4wd with the Michelin LTX MS2 road tires I was running! Plus, they do well in the mud and don't mind rock either. Not to mention, they also have pretty good road manners, as well. Hopefully, they hold up. I only gave $125 a piece installed (for 235/75R15s), so I am not too concerned if they don't last. If they do last, then I may consider getting a set of 16" rims and go with 235/85R16s (32X9.5) next time. They have an identical tread pattern to Toyo Open Country ATs, by the way.

Mudderoy
02-21-2012, 10:13 AM
I came up short on cash to get a set of ATs and found a deal on Hercules Terra-Tracs. I know one thing, it is probably one of the better cheap ATs that I have ever ran. I can go through snow and ice in 2wd that I could never even think about going through in 4wd with the Michelin LTX MS2 road tires I was running! Plus, they do well in the mud and don't mind rock either. Not to mention, they also have pretty good road manners, as well. Hopefully, they hold up. I only gave $125 a piece installed (for 235/75R15s), so I am not too concerned if they don't last. If they do last, then I may consider getting a set of 16" rims and go with 235/85R16s (32X9.5) next time. They have an identical tread pattern to Toyo Open Country ATs, by the way.

I was looking at the Cooper's for a bit. Their MT's have the same (or close) to the original BFG KMs.

bluedragon436
02-21-2012, 12:39 PM

That def. sounds like a good deal and a good plan.. That was my plan when I bought the tires for my Wife's truck.. if they lasted for a while, I would pick up a set for my XJ in the 16" rim department...