PDA

View Full Version : I'm pickin' up bad vibrations...

Brasscatz
02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
:rolleye0012: I'm pickin' up bad vibrations... it's givin' me excitations:rolleye0012:

Interesting problem happening... of course, aren't all problems interesting? :smiley-laughing021:

So I'm not going to get into EVERYTHING, because I'm pretty sure my tranny mount is the culprit, at least I'm hoping, BUT I've noticed that when in traffic (I know... traffic in Houston?:eek: Noooo!) and I let off the brake to move up at the speed of idle, I get bad vibes. Feels the same as if you had a standard tranny and it's about to die on you from not giving it enough gas.

So, I decided to try to get moving and put it in neutral because the vibes are annoying, and it still does it. I rev the motor while rolling, still does it. Ok, OBVIOUSLY it's not the motor or tranny. It doesn't happen at any other speeds, just moving at idle.

Could it be wheel bearings? I don't hear them roar while driving, but I have so much road noise that I wouldn't be able to tell anyways. Any other thoughts/questions? Thanks everybody in advance!

LizardRunner
02-06-2012, 07:47 PM
things I would check; motor mounts, trans/transfer mount, front drive shaft Ujoints then rear drive shaft Ujoints. wheel bearings will tend to make a single brake grab and lock up(personal experience) But, if every thing else checks ok, then check those buggers.

Brasscatz
02-06-2012, 08:04 PM
things I would check; motor mounts, trans/transfer mount, front drive shaft Ujoints then rear drive shaft Ujoints. wheel bearings will tend to make a single brake grab and lock up(personal experience) But, if every thing else checks ok, then check those buggers.

Motor mounts good, trans mount bad, front drive shaft is sitting in my garage, rear shaft U-Joints are good. The vibes even happen in neutral.

Now, it's funny that you say that about making a single brake grab.... my front driver side caliper will grab from time to time when I'm coming to a stop. Not all the time, but sometimes. So wheel bearing seems to be the culprit of choice?

4.3LXJ
02-06-2012, 09:25 PM
You might wanna jack up each front wheel and give them a spin. Any roughness or noise will nail it down.

XJEric
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Also with a wheel bearing, if it's bad enough to feel, you should be able to move the tire. Jack it up, and try to wiggle it in every direction. Last time I had a bad one, I only noticed it at higher speeds at a cruise. (accelerating would tighten it up from centrifugal force) and I would feel the vibes as soon as I let off the gas. But I wouldn't feel anything at idle speed. It was my F/L though.

Its just strange to me to have a noticeable vibration at such a low speed. Only time I notice drive train things at that speed, is when something is broke broke, like a u joint bearing exploded, or pieces of teeth in my diff are no longer attached. :D

Awesome trying to explain vibrations and things on a forum huh. Cause all I can think, is a drive train vibe, doesn't feel at all like your manual transmission hesitation analogy. :confused:

Brasscatz
02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Also with a wheel bearing, if it's bad enough to feel, you should be able to move the tire. Jack it up, and try to wiggle it in every direction. Last time I had a bad one, I only noticed it at higher speeds at a cruise. (accelerating would tighten it up from centrifugal force) and I would feel the vibes as soon as I let off the gas. But I wouldn't feel anything at idle speed. It was my F/L though.

Its just strange to me to have a noticeable vibration at such a low speed. Only time I notice drive train things at that speed, is when something is broke broke, like a u joint bearing exploded, or pieces of teeth in my diff are no longer attached. :D

Awesome trying to explain vibrations and things on a forum huh. Cause all I can think, is a drive train vibe, doesn't feel at all like your manual transmission hesitation analogy. :confused:

Good thought. I'm pretty sure it's my front left too. I've never felt another thing like it besides the manual transmission analogy, as if you had your foot on the brake and slowly let out the clutch and it shook/vibrated about to die. I had been worried in the past that it was my front d/s so I removed it. Still does it though. I had also wondered about my front pumpkin... but further evidence for the bearing... when I enter the parking lot at work in the mornings, there is always standing water in the gutter to the entrance. Every time I hit the water, I see steam coming from the left front side. Bearing getting real hot? I know whatever it is, it needs to be fixed, but I don't have a bearing packer and with the wife still looking for a job, I can't afford the packer, or the bearing. Any ideas for a quick fix, or band-aid? I don't think there is, but somebody may know something I don't.

LizardRunner
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
You can hand pack the bearing, all a bearing packer does is make the job faster and cleaner. I still don't own a bearing packer. as far as a stop-gap fix, I don't know of one unfortuantely.

XJEric
02-09-2012, 08:23 AM
What's a bearing packer? Lol yeah, I've always done it by hand too, for as rarely as you'll probably ever use it, I don't think they're worth the money. A bearing a race and some seals shouldn't set you back too much, granted you have all the tools to do the job. You may spend $20-$40 depending on the brand you buy.

If you're steaming and you think it's from the bearing being worn out, it's not something you can let go for a while, like a worn out ball joint or tie rod. It needs to be addressed, once that bearing finally decides it's time to break you're immobile. It can also damage other componets as well, and it's no longer a bearing set and some seals. Then it can get expensive.

After you've been driving, just put your hand on the hubs. (safely) if it's real real hot, probably your problem. Do this for all 4 wheels.

Brasscatz
02-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, I wanted to do everything right, so being the married 26 year old that I am, living 4 hours away from my family, I called dad and borrowed his debit card number (I guess you're never too old to be humbled) to get these from 1ATony... I know they need replacing anyways, so I figured I'd better go all out. This xj has to last me a loooong time. Darn good price too!

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/wheel-bearing-hub-front/Jeep/Cherokee/1ASHS00004/277579?utm_source=xjtalk&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=1ATony

And you're right Eric, I really do want to fix it ASAP!! I really don't want to be stranded somewhere or cause more damage than what has already occurred! Due to shipping and having time to do it, let's pray that I'll be safe until next weekend.... unless the ground shipping gets them here by this weekend! HA! Right!

Brasscatz
02-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Replaced my front wheel bearings. Much easier than I thought it would be, rust wasn't a hindrance. Took me about an hour, and I had time to clean up and listen to my wife come outside and tell me why we needed a fancy new hairdryer that ionizes the air that comes out... Anyways, it didn't fully fix my issue, but it is much, much better! Still feel some vibes at idle speed. I'm not going to worry anymore about it for now.

Brasscatz
03-10-2012, 09:32 PM
convo started in chat...

still have the front end vibes, I'm now thinking axle u-joints
Avatar 10 9:20:14 PM <cantab27> just done front bearings on barbie ....
Avatar 10 9:20:46 PM <cantab27> @Brasscatz: front drive shaft??
Avatar 10 9:21:03 PM <msmoorenburg> axle ujoints can cause dw too
Avatar 10 9:22:40 PM <Brasscatz> front shaft is on the garage floor. that was the first thing I tried several months ago. Luckily, no dw, but it's when at idle speed.
Avatar 10 9:23:07 PM <Brasscatz> new bearings seemed to help, but maybe that was wishful thinking
Avatar 10 9:25:08 PM <Brasscatz> or just part of the problem... but it's still there. I do have a thread on it if we need to get this out of chat
Avatar 10 9:26:25 PM <msmoorenburg> have you felt for play in the ujoints
Avatar 10 9:27:20 PM <cantab27> muffler hitting anything...cut the cat off
Avatar 10 9:28:03 PM <msmoorenburg> ok jimbo
Avatar 10 9:28:56 PM <cantab27> ...i dont run them
Avatar 10 9:29:07 PM <Brasscatz> which ujoints? I replaced hub bearing and played with those, but I don't know what they were supposed to feel like. muffler isn't hitting anything as far as I know, but the brick is loose in my cat

Brasscatz
04-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Alrighty, So here's an update...

Axle u-joints... not it. Glad to have those done, but not it. Now we have new hub bearings, new u-joints, front driveshaft eliminated.... I'm at a loss. What else could be causing vibrations at idle speed and when coming to a stop? When I had my t/c re-sealed, I had the shop look at my rear shaft u-joints and they said they were fine. Should I take them at their word?

Could the rear u-joints be causing that particular problem, or wouldn't I get vibes at any speed, and progressively worse at higher speed?

Could my rear shaft be out of balance?

Could replacing my tranny mount solve the issue? I did buy the mount, but didn't put it on today... might ask for assistance from some of these local guys ;) lol

bigjim350
04-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Just need to see it in person and i bet i can figure out what it is. Plans tomorrow?

Brasscatz
04-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Just need to see it in person and i bet i can figure out what it is. Plans tomorrow?

Plans tomorrow are work until 5, dinner when I get home! Nothin other than that

bigjim350
04-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Plans tomorrow are work until 5, dinner when I get home! Nothin other than that

Give me a call after work tomorrrow 936-333-9383

DanDanthexjman
01-30-2014, 08:32 PM
i know this is an old thread, but was his resolved? if so how? what were your findings? i am having the same issue you were experiencing. i have changed everything except my steering and i really hope is not in my front diff. my tranny mount is in great shape as well. any help would be much obliged.

cantab27
01-30-2014, 08:38 PM
done front drive shaft

DanDanthexjman
01-30-2014, 08:41 PM
done front drive shaft

have I done the front shaft?

cantab27
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM
have I done the front shaft?

yeah mate ;)....what kinda vibration under load all the time

DanDanthexjman
01-30-2014, 08:54 PM
yeah mate ;)....what kinda vibration under load all the time

i have yet o do he front drive shaft bu is tight as can be. joints are newer...i know they fail but im 99.9% sure its not the front shaft. it feels like i have paddle tires on the front when i am slowing down, it continues even when i let off the breaks. i accelerate and its still there. it only happens when i am in and around 0-15 maybe 20mph. my u joints are solid on the axles as well...i know the front diff fluids were changed before i bought it from the old man who was the only owner. bad thing is, is that it was his winter ride when there were salt/cinders on the highways. i am certain he never washed it either...my lift has yet to be on for a year...just over 7k miles on it. i have great rubber bushings and such...i have yet to check my ucas...just thought about this as i am typing. i may just put on my iron mans finally and see if it does the trick. they have been collecting dust for the last 6 months. this is the only thread i have found that is similar to my issue.

DanDanthexjman
01-30-2014, 08:56 PM
the T on my keyboard is not wanting to type every time i hit it...ignore the typos lol

Brasscatz
01-30-2014, 08:59 PM
My vibes at slow speeds turned out to be my tires with very bad uneven wear. Have you tried rotating your tires to see if that changes anything? My vibes at 70+ mph was my front drive shaft.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

cantab27
01-30-2014, 09:00 PM
money on driveshaft ......easy to check just take it off......yeah that lift kit doing no good sitting there gathering dust. be better on ya rig gathering mud .......

DanDanthexjman
01-30-2014, 09:17 PM
the lifts on the rig, just my ucas and shackles need to go on still. (many oher parts as well) im not a big fan of mud. but if its in front of me and someone else hits it, i cant refuse.;) i will rotate them though. i am due its been about 5k since i have rotated last. i know every 3k. and i am aware that my front right tire is uneven due to driving 2k miles needing an alignment from a storm drain... was ran off the road on a single lane back road. ill be livid (and happy) if that is the culprit. i have dumped so much (needed) money in the front end. lol i know its not the front shaft because i picked up two and redid the u joints when i added my sye. i effed up my front on a trail and replaced it with my "new" spare.

DanDanthexjman
01-30-2014, 09:19 PM
i know what drive shaft vibes sound like.

4.3LXJ
01-30-2014, 09:39 PM
There is one more possibility, the front wheel bearings. Swap the tires, remove the shaft and if it is still there it is likely the bearings