PDA

View Full Version : Battery terminals?

pvt.tadpolxj
02-06-2012, 08:39 AM
I need some direction on a issue I get every few month's with my battery post's...I have a new Battery and new Battery Post's.....But every few momth's I get in too start and all I get is a click....So I get out open the hood and loosen the Neg. side post move it around a little and tighten back down and everything is good for a little while?......Anybody?...:pray:

XJEric
02-06-2012, 08:44 AM
By battery posts I guess you mean you replaced the terminals? When you did this, where the wires corroded? When I replaced mine, the whole wire (neg) to where it grounds on the engine were green on the outer strands. Also, check that NEG ground on the engine block. Take it all off, clean it till it's shiney.

pvt.tadpolxj
02-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Yes..I meant the terminal's:noevil:....I replaced all these a year ago, and the old one's had been beat up and abused by some prev..owner...:pray:

LizardRunner
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
When I have to replace a terminal, I just replace the whole cable with a heavier duty one. If you are having issues with corrosion, that's the best thing to do, keeps the problem from recurring and making you nuts. Also a good di-electric grease or plasti-coat (like for tool handles) brushed on over the cable end where it attaches to the terminal is a good way to keep corrosion from getting in there in the first place.

4.3LXJ
02-06-2012, 11:15 AM
I agree. It is time for new cables, preferably heavier ones. As far as corrosion is concerned, there are some little pads that go underneath that can prevent corrosion. Make sure you get a battery terminal cleaner, a wire brush thing and clean even the new cables first. You can also get some stuff to coat the whole thing. I have some stuff called liquid electrical tape that you can paint on to seal the whole thing

pvt.tadpolxj
02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Tell me...What diffrence will the heavy duty cable's make?....:rolleye0012:

prerunner1982
02-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Bigger cables have less power loss, the stock cables are marginal at best.

The next wiring upgrade would be the headlights. For similar reasons, less loss = brighter lights.

LizardRunner
02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Yep bigger is better. They also don't get hot like smaller cables, starter spins better =faster starts, if you have a winch you definately want the biggest cables you can buy or build. The little pads steve mentioned are good for keeping the terminals corrosion free, the plasti-coat I mentioned is pretty much the same stuff as the liquid electrical tape, just comes in bigger quantities and in colors. Shiny terminals are good then once you put them together and tighten them down you can coat them but if you then have to take them apart, you get to start over. I usually use a di-electric grease for that part of the seal em up.

pvt.tadpolxj
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Thank's everybody......Today I cleaned evrything and and made a better ground to the Neg side of Battery to the fender...Turned out excellent...Someday I need to do the change over to some Heavy Duty Cable's...:innocent0002:

amunoz
04-14-2012, 12:00 AM
yup, you need better cables and make sure you use what proctection spray