PDA

View Full Version : A discussion on leaf springs

07Negative
02-04-2012, 01:40 PM
My XJ has been making some awfully funny noises lately. Lots of creaking and popping. Popping is more seldom.
I take a look back there and as I suspected. Bushing need to be replaced. Both in the leafs and in the stock shackle.
Upon further inspection. The drivers side leafs are not lined up like the passenger side. It seems as if they have shifted inwards (in the direction of under the jeep opposed to outside of the jeep).
I'm not going to link the rear. At least at this point I'm not. It's crossed my mind though.
I currently have Rusty's 4.5" leaf pack. Not a Add-a-leaf.
So I'm looking around at other leafs. Claytons, Rubicon Express, Rusty's, Deaver even.
My jeep is currently on a 4.5" lift. Still haven't installed the LA kit yet. But I'm thinking I'll replace these leafs. And honestly. I'm too lazy to JY a set even though I know it's far cheaper and one could get some really good returns from a Bastard Pack. But I just started school, I work (sort of), new born, house, and yeah. Those are my excuses for being lazy.
What do you all think in regards to bought leaf sets?
I do tow a utility trailer from time to time. I do pack the rear with stuff. I do plan on bumper, tire carrier, and 33" & 35" tire on such carrier. I'm not a crazy rock crawler. But do frequent the Rubicon and the Sierras. Lots of road trips. I'm not sure how to describe the kind of wheeling I do. Maybe, Jack of all master of none? Overland?
In the end I'm looking for 5.5-6" of lift in the rear with said weight added. Thanks for all words.

4.3LXJ
02-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Rubicon Express used to make good stuff Dee Jay. I haven't heard any complaints lately since they reorganized.

07Negative
02-04-2012, 04:29 PM
"Reorganized." Am I correct when I say they were bought out by the same company that owns 4Wheel Parts?

4.3LXJ
02-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Yes, 4 Wheel Parts parent company bought then out. Joined with the others like 4WD in the family. The nice thing for us is that they are close enough we can go and do will call and pick up stuff from them when in the area.

bigjim350
02-04-2012, 11:53 PM
My rough country leafs ride just fine, and are pretty cheap.

07Negative
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Man it is true. That kills me. I hope they don't turn RE into junk. Just b/c they own them I think I'll divert my purchase to someone else.
Thanks for the input.

4.3LXJ
02-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't think they will turn them into Junk. RC pioneered the cheap long arm kit, but they didn't do any testing. They have gone through at least two designs now on the bushings and on the second for the upper link, which they should never have marketed without actually installing one on a Jeep and driving it. 4 Wheel Parts does understand standing behind their product and understands the cost of warranty work. I think it is a good possibility the quality will be there.

07Negative
02-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I wish I could load some pictures up with my iPhone so you can see this shift. Maybe its nothing and I'm trippin over nothing.
I really haven't had a issue with the Rusty's leaf pack. If I need to replace the ones I have. I might just stick with them since they seem to work well and they are really inexpensive.
I wouldn't put RC stuff on my Jeep. I just don't like the ideal of made in China if I have other options. But that's just me. I know alot of fellas using their stuff and have no mechanical issues.
I'd love a set of Deaver leafs but I can not justify at this time the amount of coin they are. I've also read that they are not meant to used for a rig that hauls/tows or carries an excessive amount of weight in the rear cargo. Which includes bumpers, tire carriers, etc.
Maybe a set of Clayton's would be cool to try out.

4.3LXJ
02-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Dee Jay, just knock them back with an hammer, tighten down your U bolts equally and add a keeper to it if you want. It is common.

07Negative
02-06-2012, 10:22 PM
I didn't think of throwing some Keepers on there. Good advice. Thank you!

xj4life2
02-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes, 4 Wheel Parts parent company bought then out. Joined with the others like 4WD in the family. The nice thing for us is that they are close enough we can go and do will call and pick up stuff from them when in the area.

Sadly no you can't do will call anymore from what I have been told, Good news is I'm still a prefered dealer !!! That means better prices. I also do rough country . And seeing how your just a few hours away it would be just like will call !!!!

4.3LXJ
02-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Sadly no you can't do will call anymore from what I have been told, Good news is I'm still a prefered dealer !!! That means better prices. I also do rough country . And seeing how your just a few hours away it would be just like will call !!!!

You mean will call from RE?

Xjay98
02-09-2012, 02:05 AM
IF the springs arent sagging replace the bushings. I think Rustys sell replacements. Do you have shims?

As far as RE. I remember back in the day the talk was RE or nothing! I hate to say it but I've heard and seen pictures of the sticker that says the leafs are made elsewhere.. I recently picked up a pair of new in box RE 5.5 coils. The guy bought it a year before RE "reorganized". I'll see if it will out last the Rustys 4.5 coil.

07Negative
02-10-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm a little stubborn in this kinda situation. And I'll admit. Some times hypocritical. But I hate it when a business builds up so freakin big and then sales out to a company I have no respect for.
I know this is totally deviating from the original topic.
But I've owned 2 businesses in my short life span. I've worked for small business. I like things small business. Yes minus the facts behind the economics of corporations.
But I like that place you call up and it's that same ****in dude you've been talking to for years. Like Zack at Rusty's. I know some of their gear sucks. But my complaints are far and few.
I ran a great 3.5" lift on my first XJ in 2002. It was either RE or Rancho or Ranchero. Whatever you call em. But RE was the one to go with.
Now I'm going on a far out tangent. But I don't have ingenuity skills I wish I had, like many folks do. So I rely alot on someone else for them. Which is why I don't mind dropping stupid amounts of coin on certain items.
What I've grown to learn from many car projects, is trial and error. In the process of it all. Try and make it the least expensive as one can. Which is what makes forums potentially so freakin awesome. Some knuckle head has already made a similar if not the same mistake.
I try to give my best and honest opinion on certain products I've experienced for my purpose. So hopefully someone can apply that objective opinion to their own application.
I'm probably going to replace bushings and throw some keepers on. It's the least expensive and practical thing to do. If I'm not satisfied. I think I'm going to try a set of Clayton leaf packs. Deavers are not for me. And if ever in a pinch. Rusty's have really never given me issues. I have 220K miles on a 99' jeep that gets used more than a hooker on International Blvd in East Oakland. So I really can't complain or be dissatisfied with my out comes. I'm just going through a different ideology with my Jeep and I'm very difficult and don't know what I want exactly b/c I haven't had it yet.
I hope my rambling makes sense.