PDA

View Full Version : Locker

lowrider
02-02-2012, 02:06 PM
i bought a locker for my xj from a buddy that he had in his xj. i got his whole carrier with the locker in it. can i swap my ring gear on to his carrier to put in mine. he had 3.55 gears and i have 3.07 in mine. will this work? both are dana 30. any help will be great.

LizardRunner
02-02-2012, 02:21 PM
In a word, Yes. if the axles are the same, ie: D30 with same pinion height (high or low)then the carrier will be the same also.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Is this locker removable from the carrier?

bigjim350
02-02-2012, 04:35 PM
If its just a lunchbox style locker it seems it would be alot easier to take it out of that carrier and put it in yours.

lowrider
02-03-2012, 12:47 PM
It is a lunchbox locker. I don't have the directions for installing it. Just trying to keep it from being down to long

4.3LXJ
02-03-2012, 12:56 PM
If it is a lunch box locker, then do not try to substitute the whole carrier. If you do that, you will have to reset up your differential gears. Take the carrier in your diff out. When you do, it is important to take the bearing caps off and set them down so you will know exactly how they came out and put them back the same way. Any shims and bearing races, the same. It is not hard, just keep careful track of how it all came apart. Use a pin punch to drive the roll pin holding the cross pin for the spiders in place on both carriers. Remove the spider gears on the Jeep carrier and remove the spiders. Remove the cross pin on the locker. Then carefully, with a finger over the top of the little springs, remove the springs with a very small screw driver. These little guys can fly for miles, so be careful to keep them covered when you do in case they get loose. Then remove the little alignment pins. The inner halves of the locker will now move enough to one side to remove them. Then remove the outer halves. Reassemble and add oil and your done. Happy wheeling