PDA

View Full Version : What's the farthest you've driven your XJ?

Brasscatz
02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
And what problems did you have (if any), and were you stranded? What macgyver fixes did you come up with (if any)

I drove it from Houston to Ft. Worth and back in 2 days back in July. I learned how off my fuel gauge is (10 gallons left when at 1/4 on the gauge), I learned my front left caliper seems to have an intermittent issue and grabs suddenly and harder than the others at times, and when I returned home, I had a very leaky transfer case leaking onto my exhaust! :mad0090: I've never cracked one open before, so $500 at the shop fixed that problem. Still living with the brake issue and fuel gauge issues (doesn't feel like it's as bad on my wallet when I fill up 10 gallons instead of all of it!)

4.3LXJ
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I used to drive mine from Walla Walla, WA to Chico and back, about 680 miles regularly about once a month. Did it once towing another XJ on a trailer one way and that was with the 2.8L V6 that everyone says they hate. No issues.

Brasscatz
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I used to drive mine from Walla Walla, WA to Chico and back, about 680 miles regularly about once a month. Did it once towing another XJ on a trailer one way and that was with the 2.8L V6 that everyone says they hate. No issues.

Very nice! That's a lot of miles to drive every month!

xj4life2
02-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I used to drive mine from Chico to Anaheim (socal) 503 miles one way , always did just fine, even over the Grapevine

Brasscatz
02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I used to drive mine from Chico to Anaheim (socal) 503 miles one way , always did just fine, even over the Grapevine

Wow, what is that... about an 8 hour drive? Angels fan or Giants? Well... you have 4 teams to choose from I guess!

Carves
02-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Havent done a decent run in this XJ for a good while ..

Last one was ages ago and was a run out to the coast and back, via a few tourist traps ... and probably only about 1000 miles all up.

Did a shorter version of the same trip to tow back a spare parts XJ before that and clocked up about 600 miles I guess ...

Mainly it just gets a 250 mile round trip every coupla weeks if Im dumb enough .... to want to see a Mall or chew on some McCardboard ....

Poke up to the gemfields on and off .... most of those runs are about 200/250 each way.

Previously tho ... the TJ used to regularly clock up 3000 - 5000 on a run ... and the first XJ got similiar use.

Never had to mcgyver anything ... altho the TJ wore out a few bits doing big miles non stop for a coupla years.

Good cooling system and regular maintenance is the key I think ... as they need a bit more luvvin than a landcruiser used the same way.

Brasscatz
02-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice! My friend and I got to drive from Ft. Worth to Chicago once to be there for my buddy's Navy graduation, but it was in my dad's Ford Ranger that my sister had 12 wrecks in. We had a white camper shell on a gray Ranger, with Mazda 626 wheels and tires on the rear (including the wheel covers for laughs) because the Ranger's tires were a bit worn. Oh... also had a head problem... coolant in the oil! That thing ran!

OhJeepers
02-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Furthest mines been driven so far was 20 some thing miles down the road into my buddies property to his rock garden we made to test out the long arms we had made when it was first done. Went of with a hitch, not a single problem, an so much flex :) sure made me happy that day

XJ4IV
02-01-2012, 10:40 PM
My first XJ was an 88 and about two months after I got it for 200$ I drove it from Northern california to houston texas, not a single problem in the jeep however the new 2002 mazda gave us a few issues! I gotta say that trip was pure XJ bonding time I had lifted it the day before the trip ( we were moving from fremont california to houston texas)

LizardRunner
02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
On pavement or just any driving? I've put about 350 on it one way on pavement. did a 250 mile - dirt, gravel, rocks, sand JS drivers test, does that count? the only lssues I've had are mostly cause I'm replacing parts only as they wear out, the more I use it the more parts I'm replacing. the JS trek let me find out about some tranny issues but I have some other stuff to get renewed before I can do that one. THE PO used to drive it from Little Rock Arkansas to North Carolina twice a month that is about 12-14 hundred miles one way. When I got it there were 225K miles on the odo, all freeway miles according to the PO.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2012, 03:27 PM
I did a 105 mile off road trip, with some rock crawling mixed in. Trashed the track bar though. But never again

Mudderoy
02-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Houston Texas to Monclova Mexico. It's a trip my wife and sister in-law have made several times in their life (relatives there) and both said they have never made it back from Mexico to home SOOOOO quickly. We left about 2am. :smiley-laughing021:

The XJ was new then, no problems what so ever, well the rev limiter, but that's more of a hindrance than a real problem. :out:

OrangeXJ
02-02-2012, 05:30 PM
A grand total of a 150 miles. Going to Creek Side to wheel and back. But the guy I bought it from took it to Curry Co. for some type of jeep jambree the year I bought it. Round trip should be over 1000 miles.

bigjim350
02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
A grand total of a 150 miles. Going to Creek Side to wheel and back. .

Yeah and thats a trip you need to make again in the TJ.....

Brasscatz
02-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Very nice! That's the great thing about these Jeeps. They're so versatile! You can wheel them, drive a million miles or just as a simply daily driver/grocery getter! Or all the above!

And yes, my original intention was on pavement, but that's ONLY because I didn't even think about distances off road! All stories are welcome, including non-XJ stories if you like :) I'm an equal opportunity thread-starter!

bigjim350
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Furthest ive driven mine was to galveston and back. which is about 200 miles round trip. Didnt have any probs, which is surpising since i do NO maintance to mine. The oil in it was bout 9 months old at the time, now its pushing 1.5yrs old.

Carves
02-02-2012, 07:35 PM
.... And yes, my original intention was on pavement, but that's ONLY because I didn't even think about distances off road! All stories are welcome, including non-XJ stories if you like :) I'm an equal opportunity thread-starter!

Pavement ???

You fellas have paved roads ?? :shocker:

:D:D

Slim Dusty - Foggy Mirrors - YouTube

Brasscatz
02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Pavement ???

You fellas have paved roads ?? :shocker:

Slim Dusty - Foggy Mirrors - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf-V-xyN0Fg)

That is AWESOME!!!! I need to move there! :notworthy:

prcjeep
02-03-2012, 12:02 AM
My Jeep has made a few trips to New Orleans louisiana from Houston which is around 700 miles round trip. First trip it made there was the same weekend I bought the jeep. Had 86k miles and started overheating about 100 miles down the road... Added some coolant seal and fluid and ran the rest of the way with the heater to help prevent from overheating. Then on the way back the next afternoon, I was about 60 miles from home, I had a blow out. I went to change the tire out and found out the spare was flat(had a nail in it) So I left my friend witht the jeep and started off walking for a gas station to buy some fix-a-flat stuff or anything that would get us back on the road. Well I made it home after about 8 miles of walking to and from the gas station. Nothing Macguyver was done for this trip.

However, when I went to lubbock tx from Houston, about 1050 miles round trip, it was a different story. My roommate and I were going to Lubbuck for the Houston cougars texas tech red raiders college football game.
We left Houston around 3am and got three hours out and my radio turned off, I figured a fuse blew. Well then my tach went, and bingo it clicked to me. My alternator was on its last leg. So my roommate looked up the next town and luckily there was an oreilly auto. We got there before they opened and it died when i pulled into the the lot. My Jeep was parked across two hadicapped spots right in front of the front door. I bout the new alt 45 mins later when they opened and I realized I only had two screw drivers and a cresent wrench and some other BS pliers, lol.
Well I was strapped for cash at this point cause the alternator used up my spare trip money and I couldn't buy any other tools. needless to say. about 6 hours later we were on our way. Made it to lubbock just before the game football game started.

krustymudracer
02-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Well I only drive mine between 200' and 250' at a time...lol. It rides on a trailer. In July 2010 I did make a trek from eastern N.C. to South Haven, Kansas(Kansas Badlands); for the MRA Hill and Hole Nationals. All i can say is "wow what a trip". I have a Dodge 3500 dually w/ a cummins. About 4hrs into the trip(not out of N.C. yet) the injector pump decided to take a crap. Almost $3000 and a day later we were back on the road, only to drive straight through all the way to South Haven. Yes we got lost in Tulsa(crazy road construction going on) for about an hour. We got to track about 5hrs before race time. We slept about 3hrs then went racing. We won the event and set a 250' track record. Then we raced in the local bog and came in 4th place(racing against big blocks w/38" tires and up-right headers). Had to wait till racing was over to get our prize money and trophies.(Which was almost 3am.) We then took another 3hr nap and back on the road to N.C.

To make a very long story short....we were gone for 5days; slept about 12hrs; drove over 3000miles; and only had about 40seconds of seat time in the xj....yes my team and I crazy...lol:crazy::crazy:

Carves
02-03-2012, 04:21 AM
That is AWESOME!!!! I need to move there! :notworthy:

mehhhh ... Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence .. ;)

Soooo ... howzabout I swap ya a coupla thousand acres - of flat, boggy, blacksoil country ... For Imogen Pass .... :D:D

bigjim350
02-03-2012, 04:33 AM

Soooo ... howzabout I swap ya a coupla thousand acres - of flat, boggy, blacksoil country ... For Imogen Pass .... :D:D

Greener huh?!?! :D

Sent from my VM670

bluedragon436
02-03-2012, 05:55 AM
I drive my XJ about 40 miles every day to and from work and have for the past year with the lift and tires... Other than that I drove it from Dover, DE to Columbia, SC in stock form with tires that I shouldn't have been driving around town with, much less a huge trip, and then after getting it lifted I drove it back to Dover, DE with the lift and 33's.. was a fun trip, and was worried something would give out, but never did.. I will however say it was a way more comfortable drive back to Dover after the lift.. with the nice tight suspension, shocks that were actually working and bushings that were there.. unlike my non exsistant stock ones..

Brasscatz
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Well I only drive mine between 200' and 250' at a time...lol. It rides on a trailer. In July 2010 I did make a trek from eastern N.C. to South Haven, Kansas(Kansas Badlands); for the MRA Hill and Hole Nationals. All i can say is "wow what a trip". I have a Dodge 3500 dually w/ a cummins. About 4hrs into the trip(not out of N.C. yet) the injector pump decided to take a crap. Almost $3000 and a day later we were back on the road, only to drive straight through all the way to South Haven. Yes we got lost in Tulsa(crazy road construction going on) for about an hour. We got to track about 5hrs before race time. We slept about 3hrs then went racing. We won the event and set a 250' track record. Then we raced in the local bog and came in 4th place(racing against big blocks w/38" tires and up-right headers). Had to wait till racing was over to get our prize money and trophies.(Which was almost 3am.) We then took another 3hr nap and back on the road to N.C.

To make a very long story short....we were gone for 5days; slept about 12hrs; drove over 3000miles; and only had about 40seconds of seat time in the xj....yes my team and I crazy...lol:crazy::crazy:

I don't know much about deisels, but $3000??? Holy crap!! That's nuts :out:

I've never been, so I'm willing!

I drive my XJ about 40 miles every day to and from work and have for the past year with the lift and tires... Other than that I drove it from Dover, DE to Columbia, SC in stock form with tires that I shouldn't have been driving around town with, much less a huge trip, and then after getting it lifted I drove it back to Dover, DE with the lift and 33's.. was a fun trip, and was worried something would give out, but never did.. I will however say it was a way more comfortable drive back to Dover after the lift.. with the nice tight suspension, shocks that were actually working and bushings that were there.. unlike my non exsistant stock ones..

Did you have to tighten the lift after such a long trip? I know you have to check and tighten every so often, but I don't really know the incriments.

My Jeep has made a few trips to New Orleans louisiana from Houston which is around 700 miles round trip. First trip it made there was the same weekend I bought the jeep. Had 86k miles and started overheating about 100 miles down the road... Added some coolant seal and fluid and ran the rest of the way with the heater to help prevent from overheating. Then on the way back the next afternoon, I was about 60 miles from home, I had a blow out. I went to change the tire out and found out the spare was flat(had a nail in it) So I left my friend witht the jeep and started off walking for a gas station to buy some fix-a-flat stuff or anything that would get us back on the road. Well I made it home after about 8 miles of walking to and from the gas station. Nothing Macguyver was done for this trip.

However, when I went to lubbock tx from Houston, about 1050 miles round trip, it was a different story. My roommate and I were going to Lubbuck for the Houston cougars texas tech red raiders college football game.
We left Houston around 3am and got three hours out and my radio turned off, I figured a fuse blew. Well then my tach went, and bingo it clicked to me. My alternator was on its last leg. So my roommate looked up the next town and luckily there was an oreilly auto. We got there before they opened and it died when i pulled into the the lot. My Jeep was parked across two hadicapped spots right in front of the front door. I bout the new alt 45 mins later when they opened and I realized I only had two screw drivers and a cresent wrench and some other BS pliers, lol.
Well I was strapped for cash at this point cause the alternator used up my spare trip money and I couldn't buy any other tools. needless to say. about 6 hours later we were on our way. Made it to lubbock just before the game football game started.

Man, talk about one thing right after another! O'Reilly's usually has a box of tools that you can borrow. When my wife's battery died, we went up to swap it out, but I forgot to bring my tools. They had a box full of random tools for people to borrow. Unfortunately, they didn't have a 10mm wrench OR socket, so I had to make do with some vicegrips and pliers.

Lubbock isn't a fun 9 hour drive! My wife's grandmother lives there. We usually take the back way up 6 through Bryan and College Station up to 20. Less traffic that way.

HPI_Savage25
02-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Never owned a diesel but worked at ford for about 6 months. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING on a diesel is expensive

XJ Wheeler
02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I've got some stories for ya. Not in my xj as i am ashamed to say its only been on a 250 mile round trip since I've owned it (no problems though).

Here's one...

A few years ago we had a 2003 F-350 with the 6.0 diesel, we had just purchased it used about two months prior when we got a load going to Farmington, NM. When your in this business time is quite important so we had to drive it straight there, a shade over 1100 miles.

When we got about 30 miles from Farmington we were going about 65 mph down the highway when all of a sudden it felt like we hit something in the road. So we pulled over to see if in fact we hit anything, but no signs of anything and we hadn't noticed anything in the road either. We got back going when a couple miles down the road the truck just shut off, at midnight no less. Being a 9000lbs truck with an 1800 lbs load and no power we barely got it off the road but just a few feet more we would have plowed down the #113 mile marker sign. After trying to start the truck to no avail we called in a tow truck, but this truck was too big for a standard truck so we found a big rig flatbed wrecker. When he got there he told us he tried to get to us as fast as he could because apparently we were on an indian reservation (not sure what he meant but sounded serious). After loading it up we made our way to a Ford dealership in Farmington. It was quite cold out and we had to sleep in the truck till the dealership opened and we were very unequipped for such weather.

Two weeks and $4000 later we got to leave there. The truck had so many problems due to another dealership that had apparently messed up a bunch of stuff before we bought it (and wouldn't warranty it either). No problems on the way back but two weeks later the turbo went out. Needless to say that truck sat for a few months till we traded it in. Although when it was getting worked on in Farmington we did go to Moab, sucks it was in a rental car though.

That's just one story...

shoker5
02-04-2012, 07:32 PM
OK, one trip was in my 92 XJ. Rockford IL to Denver CO. 2000+ miles round trip. no problems at all. That was in 2001.
Second was last summer in my 1998 ZJ, 3500 miles round trip- Rockford IL- San Antonio TX(son graduated from Air Force)- Bedias TX (friends home), Galveston beach (to drive , literally, in the Gulf/beach area)-- back home only problem was paying for all the gas on the 10 day trip.
Both 4.0 stock. I love my JEEPS.

Brasscatz
02-04-2012, 09:58 PM
I've got some stories for ya. Not in my xj as i am ashamed to say its only been on a 250 mile round trip since I've owned it (no problems though).

Here's one...

A few years ago we had a 2003 F-350 with the 6.0 diesel, we had just purchased it used about two months prior when we got a load going to Farmington, NM. When your in this business time is quite important so we had to drive it straight there, a shade over 1100 miles.

When we got about 30 miles from Farmington we were going about 65 mph down the highway when all of a sudden it felt like we hit something in the road. So we pulled over to see if in fact we hit anything, but no signs of anything and we hadn't noticed anything in the road either. We got back going when a couple miles down the road the truck just shut off, at midnight no less. Being a 9000lbs truck with an 1800 lbs load and no power we barely got it off the road but just a few feet more we would have plowed down the #113 mile marker sign. After trying to start the truck to no avail we called in a tow truck, but this truck was too big for a standard truck so we found a big rig flatbed wrecker. When he got there he told us he tried to get to us as fast as he could because apparently we were on an indian reservation (not sure what he meant but sounded serious). After loading it up we made our way to a Ford dealership in Farmington. It was quite cold out and we had to sleep in the truck till the dealership opened and we were very unequipped for such weather.

Two weeks and $4000 later we got to leave there. The truck had so many problems due to another dealership that had apparently messed up a bunch of stuff before we bought it (and wouldn't warranty it either). No problems on the way back but two weeks later the turbo went out. Needless to say that truck sat for a few months till we traded it in. Although when it was getting worked on in Farmington we did go to Moab, sucks it was in a rental car though.

That's just one story...

Holy crap dude! What did you do for 2 weeks, well beside Moab in a rental? And don't lie... you had some fun in the rental at Moab, didn't you!

Brasscatz
02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
OK, one trip was in my 92 XJ. Rockford IL to Denver CO. 2000+ miles round trip. no problems at all. That was in 2001.
Second was last summer in my 1998 ZJ, 3500 miles round trip- Rockford IL- San Antonio TX(son graduated from Air Force)- Bedias TX (friends home), Galveston beach (to drive , literally, in the Gulf/beach area)-- back home only problem was paying for all the gas on the 10 day trip.
Both 4.0 stock. I love my JEEPS.

I can't even imagine paying for gas NOW for that 10 day trip!:yack:

alwaysxj
02-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Drove mine from Hyrum Utah to Moab Utah, all over Moab and back.
The trip was about 600 miles jeep did great!

XJ Wheeler
02-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Holy crap dude! What did you do for 2 weeks, well beside Moab in a rental? And don't lie... you had some fun in the rental at Moab, didn't you!

The statute of limitations isn't up yet, soooo...:D

XJ Wheeler
02-04-2012, 11:07 PM
The farthest for work was from Beaumont,Tx to Lodi,Ca, 1981 miles one way. We were in our 2010 Chevy 1-ton and as usual had to drive it straight there. Took around 38 hours then delivered the load and went to sleep for about 13 hours. Turned around to come back but didn't have to drive it straight so we got to stop off to sleep somewhere in Az. Overall, 4000 miles in about 5 days with zero problems...

Ever need to do two oil changes in one week?

cpttuna
02-05-2012, 06:22 AM
napoleon ohio to Greeneville Tennessess(503 miles) to visit my cousin. I had no problems and got 22mpg. 01 auto

Carves
02-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Greener huh?!?! :D

heh heh .... plenty of green down here ... as long as it all gets a good watering now & then ...

MOREE FLOODS FEBRUARY 2012 - YouTube

Brasscatz
02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
heh heh .... plenty of green down here ... as long as it all gets a good watering now & then ...

MOREE FLOODS FEBRUARY 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHUVMn-U5ro&feature=related)

Dang! I've been through some of that. Back in '93, I lived in Kansas City, MO and there was the infamous "Flood of 93" and our street was a deep river for most of that summer... few tornadoes too, burned through a lot of candles too. You and yours doing ok in that stuff?

Brasscatz
02-06-2012, 06:44 PM
The farthest for work was from Beaumont,Tx to Lodi,Ca, 1981 miles one way. We were in our 2010 Chevy 1-ton and as usual had to drive it straight there. Took around 38 hours then delivered the load and went to sleep for about 13 hours. Turned around to come back but didn't have to drive it straight so we got to stop off to sleep somewhere in Az. Overall, 4000 miles in about 5 days with zero problems...

Ever need to do two oil changes in one week?

Wow. Royal Purple might have been worth it that week!