PDA

View Full Version : AXLE side of the upper control arm bushing

XJ4IV
01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I need help, Im going to fab up my upper control arm mounts for the axle side but I cannot figure out which bushing to get... I went to autozone today to check out the part listed as " upper control arm bushing" wellllll that being said OK but is that for the frame end or the axle end?... also what was the procedure for replacing em I was anticipating buying some DOM of the size that the bushing will fitt into and going from there... any fab advice is needed PLEASE!!!

vwfoolwhy
01-30-2012, 09:16 PM
They are the same bushings. So yes it will work.

The best method for removing the old bushings is to use a Large C-clamp w/large sockets and odd exhaust pipe pieces or a Ball joint removal kit that can be rented at AutoZone for $20.00

4.3LXJ
01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Scott

They are the same bushing. However they are tapered. If you are fabbing, you can use almost anything. If you are doing a three link, the upper bushings are not tough enough. You would be better off using a lower bushing, they are much stronger and will last.

XJ4IV
01-31-2012, 10:08 AM
well after talking with a buggy guru I was pals with in houston Im gonna do a three link using heims on both ends and have the third link centered on the axle!

LizardRunner
02-01-2012, 07:56 AM
sounds like a great idea. I was going to suggest Johnny joints.