PDA

View Full Version : Lag from dead stop

Cwish
01-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Everytime I'm at a stop sign and take off it usually jolts pretty hard for some reason. Is it a bad weel bearing or what is it?

bigjim350
01-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Could be a bad motor or transmission mount.

Mudderoy
01-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I would feel something big "weight" shifting when I would come to a stop. It was the driver's side motor mount.

Brasscatz
01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Everytime I'm at a stop sign and take off it usually jolts pretty hard for some reason. Is it a bad weel bearing or what is it?

Is it kind of a thump sound accompanied with the feeling that something shifted in the drivetrain? That's what my Jeep does and I'm pretty sure that it's my tranny mount.

Cwish
01-29-2012, 04:55 PM
It just feels like it takes a sec for it to "catch" and go so it's just a small jolt

AZDoug
01-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Are you saying when you step on the throttle it feels like theres a lag and then a surge before your Jeep goes. It so, check the TPS.

Brasscatz
01-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Hopefully it doesn't look like this!!! :rolleyes:

How to check loose bad motor engine mount - YouTube

Tranny could also be slipping.

pvt.tadpolxj
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Sound's like a Throttle Position sensor...But check for a code before spending the money....My 91xj was doing that a few month's back...Turned out that my cooling system needed maintenance..So after getting it to reach operating temperature consistantly everything started working better....You know evrything is operating off of a computer!!!!...Good Luck.:patriot:

Cwish
01-29-2012, 09:16 PM
It's just when I shift from the brake to the gas it just like kinda jolts. Not real hard just like grabs real quick and jolts

LizardRunner
02-06-2012, 07:19 PM
What you are describing sounds very much like a stall in the torque converter. have you checked the transmission fluid level? the converter usually takes close to a gallon of fluid to operate properly. If the level isn't low that doesn't mean the converter is full, it would be time to crawl under and look for obvious leaks around the bell housing.

Cwish
02-07-2012, 02:03 AM
You know I have a leak in what I thought was the rear main seal

LizardRunner
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
You know I have a leak in what I thought was the rear main seal

Your eyes, nose and finger tips can help figure that out. pick up a dab of the "leaking" fluid on your index finger and rub your finger and thumb together. If it's oil from the engine it will look black to blackish, feel thick and will smell like motor oil, if it's redish or brownish in color, feels thin and doesn't really smell like motor oil then it's tranny fluid.