PDA

View Full Version : Favorite modification done to your XJ

XJ Wheeler
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
What's the modification that your XJ has that you would choose to be your favorite? It could be anything, no matter how extensive, expensive, fabricated, or embarrassing. Be specific so we know what product/part you're talking about, pics might help too.

I'll just go with my lift, its a Rubicon Express 4.5" short arm with full leaf packs. It might have caused other problems, but it completely transformed my xj.

Alright i'm interested to see what you guys choose...

Now...

GO!!!:popcorn:

HPI_Savage25
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Right now mine is my headliner. When I bough it the headliner was completely gone so it was a mess in the ceiling. For it redone with some mossy oak camp on the headliner, roof console and the sun visors. Love it!

bluedragon436
01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
My favorite mod would be my lift... I get so much crap for the money I spent on lifting my Jeep, and the fact of my roof line is still lower than some other vehicles.. but that's ok.. I'm just looking for the clearance for the snow, and for the trails.. and oh yeah.. guess who had to call me last year to pull their dumb a$$es out of the snow when their high roofs got stuck?? Yep... both of the guys who gave me the crap.. LOL

4.3LXJ
01-25-2012, 05:47 PM
My favorite mod would be my lift... I get so much crap for the money I spent on lifting my Jeep, and the fact of my roof line is still lower than some other vehicles.. but that's ok.. I'm just looking for the clearance for the snow, and for the trails.. and oh yeah.. guess who had to call me last year to pull their dumb a$$es out of the snow when their high roofs got stuck?? Yep... both of the guys who gave me the crap.. LOL

I know what you mean. I am constantly thinking I lost my XJ in a parking lot because I look down the row and cannot see it. All the soccer moms have taller rigs, but not the ground clearance of course. And I have 8" of lift. Go figure.

jeepin_idaho
01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Right now mine is my headliner. When I bough it the headliner was completely gone so it was a mess in the ceiling. For it redone with some mossy oak camp on the headliner, roof console and the sun visors. Love it!

that sounds like a really cool looking mod! Do you have any pictures? I need to redo my headliner too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jeepin_idaho
01-25-2012, 09:37 PM
I'd say that my favorite mod is my Garvin Wilderness rack. Its usefulness has saved me so many times while packing for various trips!

Least favorite is the OX locker in the rear end. That thing is always giving me troubles!

LizardRunner
01-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Hmm right now my favorite mod is the change of owners to me.

Mudderoy
01-26-2012, 12:19 PM
The lift, wheels and tires certainly!

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/Jeep_dirty3.jpg

But it felt like a real off road vehicle after I installed the DETOURS slimline bumper with tire carrier!

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_photoshoot061.jpg

HPI_Savage25
01-26-2012, 12:29 PM
that sounds like a really cool looking mod! Do you have any pictures? I need to redo my headliner too.

I will get some pictures of it today and post.

panama red
01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Favorite mod has to be the stretch. It is amazing how well it climbs now. Has the same wheelbase as a 4 door Jk. What's even better was the whole lift and stretch was free.

Cheromaniac
01-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Favourite mod? Without a doubt, the 4.6L beast that lurks under my hood!

Carves
01-31-2012, 04:45 PM
More of an upgrade rather than a mod ..

... but its been a favourite on most vehicles Ive owned ... and a bit of a nescessity on the XJ.

The headlight wiring .... :D

HPI_Savage25
01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefbf89d-72d8-42b8.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefbf89d-72ea-994e.jpg

Here is some pictures of the camo headliner

AtkinsXJ
02-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Here's my favorites:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLA-003427291/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PUT-230004HW/
I can see farther down the road with the low beams than I could with the old H6054 bulbs on high beam that come from the factory without blinding oncoming traffic.

bigjim350
02-07-2012, 11:45 PM
The paint job for sure.

cantab27
02-07-2012, 11:48 PM
selling it...

Xjay98
02-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Tough one for me. Its a toss up between the rear ZJ discs, locker or the WJ P/S pump...... I'm going to go with the rear disc conversion.

JENSSEN
02-10-2012, 01:07 AM
No more leaf springs , coils and linked

XJ4IV
02-10-2012, 09:50 AM
iD HAVE TO SAY ABOVE THE NORM OF THE LIFT N SUCH... I ENJOY MY LATE MODEL INTERIOR AND FRONT UPGRADE... i HAVE CUPHOLDERS AND MY SEATS ARE COMFY!!!!

JMadigan
02-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm in the middle of replacing the factory trim decals and painting the fenders all with bedliner, about half way there and it looks good so far! Or at least it looks better than the peeling old trim! :D

XJ4IV
02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Tough one for me. Its a toss up between the rear ZJ discs, locker or the WJ P/S pump...... I'm going to go with the rear disc conversion.

whats the benefit of the WJ pump? Im finishing up a D60 build and Im looking for a bit more power to push the 37's I also hear there is a WJ brake booster upgrade too you know anything about that guy?

Xjay98
02-13-2012, 02:27 AM
If you do the PS mod it has to be from a 4.7L WJ. According to the guy that started this the WJ runs a hydraulic cooling fan of off the PS pump. That means the pump has higher volume and pressure. I could have done the Durango gear box swap but this mod was straight bolt on. The only things I reused from the XJ pump was the pulley and high pressure fitting. I did notice a difference with how light the steering felt. Havent been offroad with it yet. What year is your XJ?

Olie's87XJ
02-13-2012, 10:15 PM
If you do the PS mod it has to be from a 4.7L WJ. According to the guy that started this the WJ runs a hydraulic cooling fan of off the PS pump. That means the pump has higher volume and pressure. I could have done the Durango gear box swap but this mod was straight bolt on. The only things I reused from the XJ pump was the pulley and high pressure fitting. I did notice a difference with how light the steering felt. Havent been offroad with it yet. What year is your XJ?

I can vouch for this... my WJ pump is pretty awesome,one finger steering for my 33's. But the WJ brake booster/master cylinder kinda trumps it. I run a renix and had a leaking single diaphragm booster, being able to stop in a hurry... is priceless. no more having to change underpants at red lights! :moon:

XJ Wheeler
04-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Looking at this one, thought i would bring it up. Lot of new members to tell their favorite mod.

Brasscatz
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't have anything MAJOR done, but it's still hard to choose just ONE favorite :D But maybe the modification of ownership from the previous owner to ME!

nickyg
04-15-2013, 08:04 PM
i HAVE CUPHOLDERS AND MY SEATS ARE COMFY!!!!

Thats about the best mod........Why didi it take 7 years for Jeep to add a cup holder?

4.3LXJ
04-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Love my cup holders too :D

nickxj94
04-15-2013, 09:31 PM
My favorite mod probably 98 interior swap,seats more comfy and have real cup holders! Next is rear disc, and now I'm working on doing the 96 xj booster and mc swap! Waiting on brown Santa to show up with my booster! :D

adambaum
05-08-2013, 09:07 AM
If I had to pick just one favorite mod, I guess would be the Atlas (pictured here when it was still all new and shiny during installation way back in 2005). Love the low-range (3.8:1) crawling and the ability to engage the front and rear axles independently.

http://nofences.me/fileStore/XJ/CRW_7202.jpg

jeepin_idaho
05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
If I had to pick just one favorite mod, I guess would be the Atlas (pictured here when it was still all new and shiny during installation way back in 2005). Love the low-range (3.8:1) crawling and the ability to engage the front and rear axles independently.

http://nofences.me/fileStore/XJ/CRW_7202.jpg

Nice! The Atlas is on my wish list too. Is it quiet at highway speeds?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4.3LXJ
05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I have one too, and just as quiet as the chain drive cases

adambaum
05-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Nice! The Atlas is on my wish list too. Is it quiet at highway speeds?

I have one in my XJ and an older one in my CJ. The one in the CJ has never made any noise that I can tell -- but the CJ is a noise/heat factory without peer, so it's hard to be sure. :rolleyes:

The one in my XJ has always made a subtle noise -- something between a rattle and a clatter. It's not loud, but it's noticeable. At first, I was very concerned about it. But Advanced Adapters assured me that it was fine, and if it failed, they'd replace it. So, I went with it. Here we are 7.5 years later, and the noise is no better or worse, and it's never given me any trouble. It's now just one of the many noises my Jeep makes that I have come to expect as "normal for my Jeep".

Oddly enough, it doesn't change much with speed though. I don't even notice it anymore...

4.3LXJ
05-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Is it your linkage that is rattling. I didn't use the factory linkage kit, but built my own that is divorced from it

adambaum
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Is it your linkage that is rattling. I didn't use the factory linkage kit, but built my own that is divorced from it

Quite possibly. The noise does seem to change slightly when I rest my hand on one of the shift levers.

4.3LXJ
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
That kind of noise is hard to get rid of when the linkage is solid with the case. Jeep used to do it with a couple of flat springs on the levers

prerunner1982
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
My XJTalk.com stickers of course. Helps me get through the tough stuff.

jeepin_idaho
05-08-2013, 11:28 AM
I have one in my XJ and an older one in my CJ. The one in the CJ has never made any noise that I can tell -- but the CJ is a noise/heat factory without peer, so it's hard to be sure. :rolleyes:...

Noise factory.... Love it! That might be my Jeep's new nickname. I'm just waiting for my NP231 to grenade and then I'll use that as my excuse to upgrade to the Atlas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

adambaum
05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
That kind of noise is hard to get rid of when the linkage is solid with the case. Jeep used to do it with a couple of flat springs on the levers

That's for sure. I gave up looking for it/worrying about it years ago. I don't even notice it any more.

ArmyGuy45
05-08-2013, 12:45 PM
My favorite mod is talking the wife into me giving her XJ to me for a Volvo XC 90 :D:driving:

Now I can create a :hitsfan: vehicle.

cpttuna
05-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Putting stainless cat ,pipe and muffler on each of the 5 XJ's in the family. I wasn't pleased with the stock setup and the ss pipe was like $.20 /lb at the scrap yard.

cherren
08-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Replacing the manual engine cooling fan with 3 electric fans could fell the increase power straight away, don't feel it any got used to it:D

cpttuna
08-06-2014, 08:02 PM
putting 304 stainless exhaust on all the XJ's in the family. I used ss cats and Borla 304 stainless mufflers. The pipe came from the Campbell soup company via the recycling center. The guy at the local muffler shop did a nice job fabricating, then welding everything together. I did not think much of the stock exhaust.

4.3LXJ
01-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Last post was three years ago on here. You have all done something, let's see it

Pookapotamus
01-08-2018, 11:20 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180109/3678f48f382bf97bf1e3d5c1f3ca1139.jpg

Fine Steve! Here is my new fav mod, and I haven’t even used it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-09-2018, 10:51 AM
I like it. I opted for convenience and put mine on the front, but the cover for it rotted away and now it makes a nice dirt trap. I might have to consider doing this too just to keep it clean

denverd1
01-11-2018, 10:53 AM
lockers without a doubt. rear locked was fun, wheeled it like that for a year. then sleeved and locked the front about a year ago. got a couple outings with both, it's quite crazy what it will do now. Fun wheeling with JKs on 36's and going up things they can't.

now I need a cage, seats and harnesses..... :patriot:

did a cowl intake as well. fun getting water over the hood and not worrying about it

4.3LXJ
01-11-2018, 12:24 PM
I have to say the lockers made the biggest difference for me too

carloxj
03-13-2018, 03:28 AM
My fave mods are front/rear lockers and sway bar quick disconnect.

OrangeXJ
03-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Mine would be the SwayLoc air operated sway bar disconnect. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone, don't have to get out of the jeep to disconnect the sway bar and to have oba. although I'm having an issue with the ARB pump not wanting to work. It worked fine a month ago so I need to trace wires with a volt meter to see what's up.(glad I don't have ARB lockers) with the Ox lockers don't have to worry about a air pump not wanting to work.

denverd1
03-14-2018, 09:11 AM
Mine would be the SwayLoc air operated sway bar disconnect. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone, don't have to get out of the jeep to disconnect the sway bar and to have oba. although I'm having an issue with the ARB pump not wanting to work. It worked fine a month ago so I need to trace wires with a volt meter to see what's up.(glad I don't have ARB lockers) with the Ox lockers don't have to worry about a air pump not wanting to work.

That's pretty cool.