PDA

View Full Version : Dang AX15 problems

LizardRunner
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm having a wonderful time trying to figure out just how bad this problem is and the exact cause, before I tear into the good ole AX-15. This happens only on inclines. I put it into first gear and as I ease the clutch out, a loud Bang occurs as it pops out of gear and causes the whole jeep to lurch. I have not been able to crawl under yet but just a week ago I had a bunch of work done on the brakes and rear axle (bearings) at undercar. The checked the u joints for me at my request, and proclaimed them to be ok. When da lizard decides to "jump" out of first gear (only one it does this in) I would swear I feel both drive shafts moving. So My question is; could this just be a bent shifter fork? or could it be indicitive of a more serious owie to the old AX-15. One of our members has a GU one that I may go pick up in GA just to be on the safe side. It has done this slam a jama about ten times over the last 4 weeks, only seems to happen when I have to shift to first on an incline. Help oh more knowledgable ones than I.

4.3LXJ
01-24-2012, 07:20 PM
There are a couple of things it could be. One is a worn rear output bearing. Does it jump out of any other gear? If it doesn't do it except under heavy load, I am guessing the output shaft is moving a little due to pressure from the pitch of the gears.

LizardRunner
01-24-2012, 07:51 PM
The only gear it jumps out of is first. It sure would have been nice to learn this sort of stuff while I was racing but the mechanics always said my job was to go fast and get out of their way unless I wanted them to drive the car, LOL. I found an Aamaco place here in town so will give them a call tomorrow and see about taking it in. I am still thinking of getting that one from our member here (wife has ok'd the expenditure as long as she gets a trip to Georgia out of it).It would be nice to have a spare, or put it in while the other is in the shop.

4.3LXJ
01-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes. The AX15 usually lasts a long time. But spare parts are great