PDA

View Full Version : Headlight blown; need suggestions on a H4 bulb..

Mr Clean
01-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi all, one of my headlights has gone out which gives me a good reason to replace both. Need advice from the forum as to which H4 bulbs to get. Here's the details: the wiring harness has been upgraded to the same harness Mudderoy upgraded his to, (easy to do, 1 hour, and well worth the coin) the 36-3580, 90/100 watt wiring harness for a Chevy truck from LMC Trucks and the IPF H4 headlight housings.
Now which H4 bulbs should I invest in? I want something "bright" for I do a lot of night driving where there are deer around. I was considering the PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus Anti Vibration 60/55watt = 110/100watt, 4000 Kelvin bulbs. I hate the blue looking bulbs, they’re useless, I want a clean, bright "white" light.
In addition I'm also considering installing a pair of PIAA 520 ATP to the front bumper for added visibility on those dark roads. Does anybody have these and if so what are your thoughts and opinions on them or something as effective and possibly less expensive or equal in cost. Thanks :D

Mudderoy
01-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi all, one of my headlights has gone out which gives me a good reason to replace both. Need advice from the forum as to which H4 bulbs to get. Here's the details: the wiring harness has been upgraded to the same harness Mudderoy upgraded his to, (easy to do, 1 hour, and well worth the coin) the 36-3580, 90/100 watt wiring harness for a Chevy truck from LMC Trucks and the IPF H4 headlight housings.
Now which H4 bulbs should I invest in? I want something "bright" for I do a lot of night driving where there are deer around. I was considering the PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus Anti Vibration 60/55watt = 110/100watt, 4000 Kelvin bulbs. I hate the blue looking bulbs, they’re useless, I want a clean, bright "white" light.
In addition I'm also considering installing a pair of PIAA 520 ATP to the front bumper for added visibility on those dark roads. Does anybody have these and if so what are your thoughts and opinions on them or something as effective and possibly less expensive or equal in cost. Thanks :D

Well you've already read what I did. I love my headlights now. The Silverstars were ok, may be better with the wiring harness you have.

LizardRunner
01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
H4 12V 60/55 watt PN 10704 This is the nicest PIAA H-4 bulb they have ever made for night vision enhancement. That's what I'm going with. For real enhancement at night a set of Dichroic lamps might be the best choice. These have a fog lamp and a driving lamp in one housing, saving you space for other lamps later on. Incidently, for the best night vision you don't want "White" light, check out the lamps they use in the 24 hour daytona and Lemans races.. they are slightly yellow not pure white or blue or Bright white, those colors, while good for reflective materials are actually sucky for seeing ahead of you and if there is any fog at all, the white/blue lights just reflect up into your line of sight, effectively cutting down on visibility.

Carves
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
X 2 with LizardRunner

Whilst lighting comparisons of brightness on garage doors ... or camera shots looking at the lamps may suggest quality lighting ....

Its how far ... and where ... they project useable light in front of the vehicle ... that is the most important aspect.

FWIW ... I just use the non fanciest - 80lo/100hi bulbs I can find - in a decent, quality brand ... as it makes em easier to find - in out of the way places that arent serviced by bling stores.

Thankfully, we got Cibie housings as stock down here on the 97+ models ... but the IPF is a pretty serviceable unit, possibly more so than the Hella.

Driving Lights ???

Round and deep dished reflectors are the best - for the most part ... then consider the lense ...

Clear for a long range driving light, Some etching for a spread beam driving light ... and heaps of deep etching for a fog light ...
... altho some light brands are getting all tricky with angles in the reflector - so the the lense may be clear in all cases, on those.

Due to lots of Roos & Emus ... our deer equivalent ... I dont spend up big on aux lights just for the wildlife to smash up ...
So again ... Good quality for the price, but not the fanciest, blingiest, overpriced brands - are my preference ...

Consider the amount of oncoming traffic as well ... Not much point having "long distance" light beam patterns .. if you keep having to dip them all the time ...

Which is why I dont bother fitting long range, pencil beams any more ... Too many feral tourists poking about in the wilderness - instead of staying in suburbia where they belong ... :D:D

Sometimes tho ... you just have to buy a few sets until you find something you are happy with ...

xjsnake
01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Personally I'm a Hella bulb fan. I've had cheaper bulbs and have had the Hella's last the longest. I'm running Autopal housings and the LMC harness as well.

Mr Clean
01-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Well you've already read what I did. I love my headlights now. The Silverstars were ok, may be better with the wiring harness you have.

Yea read it right before the headlight blew. I actually posted a write-up here on the forum in "How-To" on my own headlight upgrade on 3-25-10, it's the same exact set-up your using.
Silverstars huh, I'll consider 'em, Thanks.

Mudderoy
01-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Yea read it right before the headlight blew. I actually posted a write-up here on the forum in "How-To" on my own headlight upgrade on 3-25-10, it's the same exact set-up your using.
Silverstars huh, I'll consider 'em, Thanks.

Well if you using the exact same setup, LMC harness with IPF headlight housing and 80w/110w bulbs, I would stick with that.