PDA

View Full Version : Bumpers. Detours or Dirtbound ?

Joey1977
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I cant decide !! Please help i am looking for a front winch bumper ... Pros and cons .....:patriot:

bluedragon436
01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Good luck on making that decision.. Cause they both have some great products, and are run by some awesome folks!!

Joey1977
01-23-2012, 10:29 PM
That does not help !!!! LOl

Joey1977
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
I think im leaning towards dirtbounds extreme diy winch bumper with brush guard ....
:D Does anybody have one of them And ther thoughts on em?

Mudderoy
01-24-2012, 09:13 AM
I love my Detours, well EVERYTHING! But I have no experience with anything else. :D

LizardRunner
01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
are you looking for a ready built, just bolt it on and go bumper? or perhaps a build it the way you want it kit? or a starter platform? Detours has great stuff, good clearance on his bolt on front bumper. He also has the winch mount that you can build your dream bumper from, using that as the starting point. DirtBound has a great front bumper and a kit bumper that ships flat, all cut out and ready to weld up. I would have to place both pre-builts on equal ground. The only real difference (other than which guy you like best) is types of looks available. Detours has both smooth and diamond plate available, will do custom stuff as you desire, or he will make suggestions if asked.

xjsnake
01-24-2012, 08:10 PM
I personally like the looks of Detour's stuff better but I have nothing heard nothing bad about Dirtroad for what it's worth.

Joey1977
01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
I think i might split the diffrence and go with a dirtbound front bumper and detours rear with tire carrier .... decisions decisions ...

Joey1977
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Also to every one replying i dont know how to thank you in the post so thanks :o

prerunner1982
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Joey I believe in a few (4) more posts you will be able to use Thanks....and Groan buttons.

Joey1977
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Joey I believe in a few (4) more posts you will be able to use Thanks....and Groan buttons.
thanks for the insight...and for your service.

Joey1977
01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
I love my Detours, well EVERYTHING! But I have no experience with anything else. :D

Mudderoy Do you have the two inch reciever from detours on your rear bumper and if so what is the rating and what have you towed with it ? Thanks in advance

Mudderoy
01-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Mudderoy Do you have the two inch reciever from detours on your rear bumper and if so what is the rating and what have you towed with it ? Thanks in advance

No I do not. I have a factory class 3 hitch.

DETOURS
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
thanks for the insight...and for your service.

Thanks for your interest in Detours Joey, the rear hitch is rated "Common Sense".....

A fella once asked me if he could tow a 37' boat off the bumper on his lifted Cherokee.....my reply was obvious.

What truely influences your towing, is just how built up your Cherokee is, ie: lift/tire size/lift type/etc. For serious towing, a true hitch should be considered since it sits lower than a bumper mounted hitch, this will reduce the ammount of drop required for your tow ball dramatically...

I always suggest to folks......2 jet ski's, landscape trailer, small boat, 2 snowmobiles, small pop up......all fine, but no 37' boats please.....;)

Joey1977
02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
:shocker:
Thanks for your interest in Detours Joey, the rear hitch is rated "Common Sense".....

A fella once asked me if he could tow a 37' boat off the bumper on his lifted Cherokee.....my reply was obvious.

What truely influences your towing, is just how built up your Cherokee is, ie: lift/tire size/lift type/etc. For serious towing, a true hitch should be considered since it sits lower than a bumper mounted hitch, this will reduce the ammount of drop required for your tow ball dramatically...

I always suggest to folks......2 jet ski's, landscape trailer, small boat, 2 snowmobiles, small pop up......all fine, but no 37' boats please.....;)

I cancelled my order for the 37 foot boat !! :D Thanks for the insight. I hardley do any towing but want the option if i need .

DETOURS
02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Here's an extra tid bit I learned as a subcontractor with Thule.

Unless a company has an inhouse engineering dept., on a seperate payroll, seperate budget from the parent company, it 'can not' rate it's own product.
Ratings, such as a hitch rating, needs to be provided by an outside testing agency inwhich a company supplies 3-5 production samples along with the manufacturing procedure. That company then tests it to limits requested, thus getting the rating for the product, documented.

Just some extra knowledge. ;)