PDA

View Full Version : "Buoy" in bumper?

JMadigan
01-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi all,
I bent up the bumper on my '95 XJ this past week and managed to find a replacement at a pull 'n pay lot. I notice the both my XJ and the one I pulled it from (which was a '92) have a black plastic buoy shaped object with a vacuum line coming out of it.
With out thinking, I took the one of my car and it made a hissing sound (the battery was unhooked while I was doing this). I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the airbag, if so, will it deploy since the buoy no longer has a certain pressure/vacuum? :confused:
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
-J Maddy

Mudderoy
01-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi all,
I bent up the bumper on my '95 XJ this past week and managed to find a replacement at a pull 'n pay lot. I notice the both my XJ and the one I pulled it from (which was a '92) have a black plastic buoy shaped object with a vacuum line coming out of it.
With out thinking, I took the one of my car and it made a hissing sound (the battery was unhooked while I was doing this). I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the airbag, if so, will it deploy since the buoy no longer has a certain pressure/vacuum? :confused:
-J Maddy

It shouldn't. It's just a vacuum canister to help maintain vacuum. The air bag is electronic and has an explosive charge that detonates and fills the air back with gas.

prcjeep
01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi all,
-J Maddy

It 'tis a buoy! thats what helps us float through deep water!! Leave it off and you'll be doomed as was Cantab :mock:

BlueXJ
01-21-2012, 09:55 PM
A PFD for Jeepers.

Carves
01-21-2012, 10:12 PM
The jeep egg is just a vacuum reservoir ... for stuff like vent controls etc ...

Its not a bad idea to relocate it into the engine bay ... or replace it with something less likely to get a smacking offroad ... A smaller, square, TJ one, works good.

Airbag activation is electronic as Mudderoy mentioned ... on 97+ models the sensor that does the activating ... Is in the centre console under the storage compartment or still under the LHD drivers seat if the TSB recall wasnt done.

JMadigan
01-21-2012, 10:16 PM
It 'tis a buoy! thats what helps us float through deep water!! Leave it off and you'll be doomed as was Cantab :mock:

Should I get some water wings to go with that? :rolleyes:

Thanks, for the fast responses! I figured better safe than sorry! and now she's looking much better without a crooked jaw :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

Mudderoy
01-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Should I get some water wings to go with that? :rolleyes:

Thanks, for the fast responses! I figured better safe than sorry! and now she's looking much better without a crooked jaw :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

I thought the "buoy" name was great! Makes perfect sense.

4.3LXJ
01-25-2012, 10:39 AM
I thought the "buoy" name was great! Makes perfect sense.

Does that mean it comes with a heavy weight holding it in place? :D

We could get something started with the boating crowd her I think.

Mudderoy
01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
cantab27 once had a buoy stuck to his bumper, but that was due to a wrong turn in the river and not stopping to ask for directions until he was 30 miles out to sea.