PDA

View Full Version : Replacing stock speakers

JeepinMT
01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
So I have two pair of Alpine SPC-510 5 1/4" speakers. Any advice on removing the door panels to replace the door speakers? I am moving so all my stuff (Chilton) is in storage. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

bluedragon436
01-18-2012, 10:59 PM
I usually just remove the screws and pop the bottom of the doors out some, so I can install the speakers.. But to take the full door panel off isn't too much more work, you just have to pop the door up to remove the little lip that is where the window drops down into the door..

Brasscatz
01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
If I remember correctly, there are maybe 2 screws under the armrest, and the one in the door handle... I may be wrong on the number of screws. Then pop the door panel clips out by GENTLY pulling/prying with a flathead screwdriver at the bottom of the panel until you hear a pop, them do the same all around the bottom and sides. When they are all popped out, you will be able to easily pull the panel up out of the window channel, and disconnect the door handle and lock arms... and power window/mirror connections (if applicable). When I replaced my speakers, they were the same size but I still had to drill new holes in the door to screw them in. Reverse instructions to reinstall the door panel. Hardest part is getting the panel back in the window channel, but it's not too hard.

JeepinMT
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks!

JeepinMT
01-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Wiring diagrams?? Everyone I have seen says Right front door speakers (+) is violet and (-) is dark blue/red......problem is my right door has light blue/black stripe and a light blue/red stripe. I think I will use the red stripe for the negative but they are brand new speakers....hate to ruin them. Any thoughts?

Converted96XJ
01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Im not sure on whats + or - but as far as putting in new speakers you dont have to remove the whole panel. I just popped the clips out along the bottom and the sides as much as I could. Then I was able to pull the door card back enough to access the screws (which are torx) and pop the new speaker in.. seriously takes about 10 minutes a side to do the complete swap if all your tools are ready to go.

JeepinMT
01-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I had to remove the panels to drill new holes for the new speakers, the screws in my stock speakers were #2 Phillips. I got it all done.....my wife was rushing me......totally forgot to hook up the wire harness' on the driver door for the windows and locks. So since I have to take the panel back off anyway I think I will bypass the window lock so that the other windows will work from there respective controls.

Converted96XJ
01-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Funny a couple of you had to redrill new holes for the speakers. I didnt have to for mine. Cool you got it done, sucks about not hooking that back up though.

Brasscatz
01-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Wiring diagrams?? Everyone I have seen says Right front door speakers (+) is violet and (-) is dark blue/red......problem is my right door has light blue/black stripe and a light blue/red stripe. I think I will use the red stripe for the negative but they are brand new speakers....hate to ruin them. Any thoughts?

Sorry I didn't check this thread until just now, but here's a link that will help you IMMENSELY with the wiring... It helped me so much when I did mine!

It didn't have one on the 2001... but 2000 should work just fine. The purple and blue/red wire is listed on there for right front :thumbsup:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1214.html

JeepinMT
01-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the link but that is not what I have for my front right, the two wires I have are light blue with a red stripe and a light blue with a black stripe.....every diagram I found said violet and blue red but I have different. The stock speakers/harness were there so I know it wasn't changed.....whatever I used the red stripe for my negative and hoped for the best.

Brasscatz
01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Sounds good to me, Boss. I think you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Converted96XJ
01-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the link but that is not what I have for my front right, the two wires I have are light blue with a red stripe and a light blue with a black stripe.....every diagram I found said violet and blue red but I have different. The stock speakers/harness were there so I know it wasn't changed.....whatever I used the red stripe for my negative and hoped for the best.

If all your other speakers were fine and you knew what was what, if you wired up the last one wrong your ear would be able to tell if the speakers were out of phase. a quick test.. fade to the front and put a little extra on the speakers. change the balance to one speaker, then back to both. if it sounds like the bass is cancelling out then its wrong, if it sounds better with just one speaker then you got it wrong.

ive gone this route several times when guessing whats what... lol

bluedragon436
01-22-2012, 04:39 PM
I just use my multimeter with the radio on, and test the wires for power.. but that is just because I don't want to unhook everything and start all over again if they are hooked up wrong.. I think I am going to go back thought, and just run new wires for the speakers straight from the head unit.. as I have heard many other XJ's that sound better than mine does right now.. And I was able to install 6.5" speakers in my stock locations... then again I made sure I found a set that would mount in the spot available in the doors.. so that I could get a larger "woofer" if you will in that spot..

JeepinMT
01-29-2012, 02:09 PM
What kind of speakers did you get that were 6" and able to fit in the stock mounting? The 5 1/4" are no the best.....should've gone components but the Jeep is new to me and I didn't really want to start cutting holes for the tweeters....but I think I might be ready now.