PDA

View Full Version : 4.5" Lift Kit, X-Flex Control Arms?

Kimber6331
01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Howdy yall. Got a question that could use some answering. Soon I will be investing in a 4.5" lift kit from Rough Country, however I notice they sell a kit that has X-Flex control arms, for 400 dollars more. My question is - is it worth it? I know it is supposed to be a very useful mod but is it necessary? I am tighter on money than I would like to be. However, if it is a great advantage I would like to get as right as I can at the first swing at lifting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, would it be smarter to lift my xj buying seperate parts as oppose to buying a kit? The kit I am looking at includes a transfer case drop kit, however I heard it would be smarter to just buy an SYE instead. Thanks again for any help!

JeepinOutfitters
01-17-2012, 10:38 AM
At that height an SYE is definitely a better way to go, but also a good bit more expensive than just a t'case drop.

Regarding piecing a lift together vs buying a kit, it will ALWAYS be less expensive to buy a kit vs individual parts, unless you're buying used parts.

Also, if you compare apples to apples, it's only $150 more to get the X-flex kit. Since you say $400 difference I'm assuming you're comparing the standard 4.5" kit vs the 4.5" X-series kit. The standard 4.5" kit uses add-a-leafs. The 4.5" X-Series kit comes standard with rear leafs. To bump the standard 4.5" kit to rear leafs takes you from $460 to $680. The 4.5" X-series kit is $830.

In addtion to the X-flex lower arms, the X-series kit also gets you X-Flex UPPER arms as well as an adjustable trackbar, swaybar quick disconnects, and front/rear brake lines. All for just $150 more than the 4.5" standard kit with leaf springs. For reference, the front upper X-Flex arms by themselves are $180... All said, you're getting over $460 worth of additional parts.

If you plan on wheeling your Jeep, I always recommend getting flex arms, whether you're buying a lift by Rough Country, Rubicon Express, or some other company. This is why:

http://jeepin.com/miscweb_album/images/flex3.jpg

That's with just an off-the-shelf 3.5" lift, nothing fancy or modified for high travel. Now imagine if you had non-articulating control arms and all that misalignment is having to be absorbed by solid rubber (or worse, poly) bushings. That puts a lot of stress on the bushings, arms, and control arm mounts. That said though, lots of guys wheel with non-articulating control arms, and they're not tearing off mounts or destroying bushings left and right. Eventually though, their parts will fail sooner than the same rig equipped with articulating control arms.

bluedragon436
01-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I would def. pick up the X-flex lift myself.. If I was doing it all over again, I wish I had gone that route.. If you plan on wheeling the XJ I would def. spend the money.. if it is just for looks and street driving only, then the standard 4.5" lift will work.. well until the AAL start to sag on you...

Mudderoy
01-17-2012, 03:24 PM
I would def. pick up the X-flex lift myself.. If I was doing it all over again, I wish I had gone that route.. If you plan on wheeling the XJ I would def. spend the money.. if it is just for looks and street driving only, then the standard 4.5" lift will work.. well until the AAL start to sag on you...

I would only do AAL if you can't afford full leaf springs, and then only for a short period of time.

JeepinOutfitters
01-17-2012, 03:35 PM
I would only do AAL if you can't afford full leaf springs, and then only for a short period of time.

They'll only work for a short period of time anyway. :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
They'll only work for a short period of time anyway. :rotfl2:

I had to get rid of mine when it started getting cold out. They were just so damned squeaky! Also the 4.5" of lift they were supposed to provide, well lets just say I gained a couple of inches when I put on the 4.5" RC leaves.

Kimber6331
01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
ok that's what I thought i just wanted to get advice from people who have more experience with modifying their xj. From what it sounds the 830 is being well spent. Only setback is having to wait longer to save up more money!

Also, 4.5" lifts aren't high enough to where you need to replace axles or tamper with gear ratios, are they?

Mudderoy
01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
ok that's what I thought i just wanted to get advice from people who have more experience with modifying their xj. From what it sounds the 830 is being well spent. Only setback is having to wait longer to save up more money!

Also, 4.5" lifts aren't high enough to where you need to replace axles or tamper with gear ratios, are they?

You only have to worry about axle issues (strength, ratio) when you put larger tires on them. Lift height should matter with the possible exception of pinion angle.

4.3LXJ
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM

You won't go wrong with the extra money spent. It just means you don't have to spend it later. Trust me I know. I have redone mine twice because I didn't have the cash the first time. As for axle strength, you already probably have a Chrysler 8.25 rear end which has the heavier shafts. However you don't have all your info filled out so I can't tell. The front end also has the stronger shafts and u joints so you should be OK there.

Kimber6331
01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
To be honest I really don't have a clue. I'm pretty new into the mechanic world. I've been changing oil, tires, and filling up gas tanks since i was a kid. but when it comes to in depth areas of replacing, repairing, or modifying, let's just say I'm learning as I go along. Last thing I learned to do was replace A/C compressor. Now Im getting into suspension. Soon enough I'm sure I'll be diving into drivetrains. Apologies for the lack of information needed. but that is why I'm a member here, right?

I know everything on my xj is stock. So I'm sure the axles are 2001 xj. I just want to get the lift done right the first time. I lack sufficient funds and tools, therefore details to me are key. So of course, I could use all the help I can get. I appreciate the input!

4.3LXJ
01-19-2012, 11:34 AM
OK, lets have some edgumacashun.

Take a look at your rear differential cover. Then compare it with this

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/JeepDiffs.jpg

Then you will know whether or not you have a D35 or Chrysler 8.25

Then crawl underneath and look at the back of your transfer case. There is a round tag in the center that has some numbers on it. It will have the low gear ratio, and also some numbers with 231, 242 or rarely 249 in it. That is the number of the transfer case you have.

Kimber6331
01-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info! Accordingly, I have a C8.25, and I have a 231 Transfer case with 272 ratio. So with those i should be good to go?

4.3LXJ
01-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info! Accordingly, I have a C8.25, and I have a 231 Transfer case with 272 ratio. So with those i should be good to go?

Yes, you are fine. That is a good combo. You have the heavy axles/u joints already. You could conceivably run 35" tires with no problem

Kimber6331
01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
great to know! thanks again!

bigjim350
01-20-2012, 02:09 AM
I dont like my x-flex arms. They have very low miles on em and already are starting to pop and make noise. They do flex great though. Another good thing about the non-flex arms is that they have a bend in them that makes it ride better. My arms are straight, so with 6.5" of lift it is a bit rough riding.

bigjim350
01-20-2012, 02:20 AM
To be honest though, I should add that they have very hard miles on them with lots of abuse.

Kimber6331
01-20-2012, 09:21 AM
do you think I'd get the same symptoms with a 4.5 lift?

Showtime3492
01-20-2012, 09:29 AM
just tossing my 2cents out there. If you are going to go with a short arm and want a really legit setup i would do this for a set up for cost effectivness.
Because the ironman control arms can be ordered with true curie johny joints and a twice as strong as other stuff.

Rough country springs (coils, leafs)
Ironmanoffroad4x4fab control arms and track bar.

However its almost inevitable as a jeeper that you will always want to change somethin about your jeep no matter what set up you have. :D

4.3LXJ
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
do you think I'd get the same symptoms with a 4.5 lift?

You will get some vibration transferred due to the increase in angle with the short arms at 4.5" This is really the practical limit for them. Jim is at 6.5" which can be done, but is really a little tall for that amount of lift. If you are looking for ride quality, then long arms at 4.5" are the best, or you can use the short arms with a drop bracket that will straighten out the lower link angle for a better ride.

jeepxj95
01-22-2012, 12:48 AM
im waiting for the funds for the same lift. mine is a dd and a frequent trail rig. what should i get. would love the flex but not the hash ride and some of the issues of the flex joints. i know long arms will give me the best of both worlds but thats for later. sorry for the hijack

oops didn't see the second page
? answered

Kimber6331
01-24-2012, 08:10 AM
ok cool. Thanks for the advice guys. Gonna order the the x series short arm kit when funds allow. If i have any problems Ill just order some long arms. thanks again!