PDA

View Full Version : Heasco VS Other Options

Pookapotamus
01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I am trying to decide if I should go with a Hesco head for my 4.6 Stroker over a built up cast head.

There are a ton of advantages to the Hesco but the price is fairly steep and I am not sure if it comes with everything I need or if I have to buy valves and springs separately. I can get a great deal on a cast head for $1500 but is it really worth it?

My build is progressing nicely but waiting to scrape up the cash for the Hesco will severely dampen my spring wheeling as I still need a whole bunch of essentials like water pump, clutch, alt etc....

Does any one have experience with the Hesco? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Pook

jeepxj95
01-17-2012, 12:52 AM
i wondered about the aluminum head by hesco. besides less weight and u can run cheaper gas with the 9.2 compression ratio it might run cooler. so thats all a plus the down side is that the cost and the eaiser risk of warping.

as of air flow u can use the 91-95 ho head and run chevys valves ( 2.02 intake and 1.90 ext i think those are the ones i know th intake are right but ect i cant remember) i think the hesco comes or is casted for the bigger valves.

im in the same place that u are for when i stroke mine out. ill probly just use the chevy vavles cus i will never beable to buy the head for my stroker

Mudderoy
01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I am trying to decide if I should go with a Hesco head for my 4.6 Stroker over a built up cast head.

There are a ton of advantages to the Hesco but the price is fairly steep and I am not sure if it comes with everything I need or if I have to buy valves and springs separately. I can get a great deal on a cast head for $1500 but is it really worth it?

My build is progressing nicely but waiting to scrape up the cash for the Hesco will severely dampen my spring wheeling as I still need a whole bunch of essentials like water pump, clutch, alt etc....

Does any one have experience with the Hesco? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Pook

I don't know but I have always heard that aluminum heads will warp much easier than cast iron. And hell the jeep head warps pretty easy being cast iron! I worry less about weight on a go slow vehicle about more about longevity.

bluedragon436
01-17-2012, 03:31 PM
I think I would use a stock head, with some massaging, and the Chevy valves.. I was thinking about going this route myself when I build my stroker.. but then again I def. won't have the money for the Hesco head for quite a while... and would much rather put that difference in money into other wanted mods

LizardRunner
01-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Hesco makes good stuff but you would be better with a properly massaged Iron head for crawling. Unless you plan to do teardowns after every outing. I'll try to post up some of the better alternatives out there that are more inline with affordability tomorrow.
I don't have the links here at home. Hesco is more tuned to jeep speeders from what I've read about their engines.