PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in 4WD

Joliet Johnny
01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Yesterday when I got home from work I got stuck in the parking lot in 2WD so I threw it in 4hi and got unstuck quick. When I left last night it felt like I was still in 4WD and the gas gauge moved like I was. When I got to work I found an unplowed icy area, got into it and hit the gas. The XJ came right out. Then I backed into the ice and put my trans in neutral and neutral on the transfer case. Then I turned it off and put the transfer case back into 2WD and restarted. After doing that it just wanted to spin tires. Last year it would go back to 2WD if I put it in reverse and went a couple feet. All I can guess at this point is I need to change the transfercase fluid? Or maybe this is an excuse to upgrade that part?

1999 4.0 auto with NP231 140k possibly never truly offroaded, not lifted yet

4.3LXJ
01-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Johnny in Joliet (I read your post)

No worries man, this is really kind of normal for a 231. When you engage it into 4WD the linkage pushes it into gear. But when you let off the handle to get into 2WD, the only thing that disengages it is a little spring in there. It is not very strong and will not disengage it unless all the stress is off the drivetrain. Backing up a little works, also when I had a 231 I would push the handle down and then let off the gas while moving at speed which reverses the stress on the components.

prerunner1982
01-16-2012, 09:19 AM
I have this problem occasionally. I usually will pull the tcase lever back to N and then quickly push it forward all the way to 2wd without stopping in 4 High. It seems to work the majority of the time.

uberxj92
01-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Johnny in Joliet (I read your post)

No worries man, this is really kind of normal for a 231. When you engage it into 4WD the linkage pushes it into gear. But when you let off the handle to get into 2WD, the only thing that disengages it is a little spring in there. It is not very strong and will not disengage it unless all the stress is off the drivetrain. Backing up a little works, also when I had a 231 I would push the handle down and then let off the gas while moving at speed which reverses the stress on the components.

i just pull over & get out & start to cry when this happens to me. lol

OrangeXJ
01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
What Steve said back up a little it helps disengage it