PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

denverd1
01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Well I was crawling around under the jeep a few weeks ago. And I'm missing a rear shock! :p i need to post up a pic of my leaf packs so you guys can tell what PO did in the rear for lift. I think the top shock mount is gone....

So I need to get a mount back in there, but are some shocks better than others? Is the ride different among brands? I noticed you can spend 200 or 45 for one... what are you guys running? Morris4x4 has em for 50'ish for 4" lift.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-shock-absorbers/cherokee-xj.htm#rubicon

LizardRunner
01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
I currently run Bilsteins. Different brands will ride different because they use different valving and some are nitrogen filled and some are not. Most will give a decient ride but remember that there are "aggressive racing shocks" out there that are going to be designed stiffer and so give a "harsh" ride There are also shocks that try to give the "caddillac" ride and are soft and squishy, not so good for wheeling. Usually you want something in between those two extreme ends. The 5100 Bilsteins are a good compromise. I have heard some like the Ranchos and others hate them, so it is really a personal preference I think. Brands out there are Skyjacker, Bilstein, Monroe, Koni, OME, Rancho,Fox and many others.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
On the Rancho shocks, the difference between liking an hating is which ones you get. The 5000s ride like crap and don't really work well unless at speed on a semi rough road. The 9000s are generally well thought of. They are valved differently.

Generally, the 50/50 ratio shocks like the 5000s don't work well off road unless you like speed. A 70/30 shock works well. What I like to do is go down to a place that has shocks and do the push pull test. I am currently using a 90/10 shock with progressive valving. Works very well, but I had to adapt them to the XJ.

As far as lifts go, getting a shock for a specific lift is hit and miss. What you need to do is figure out how long the shock has to be with the suspension fully extended and add a little to it and get one in that length. Lifts vary.

denverd1
01-13-2012, 12:39 PM
so I need to jack it up to see how much travel from rest to extended. measure from mount to mount? lift and measure again?

or measure that distance then add the drop #? I knew it wouldn't be as easy as "I need a shock for a 4 inch lift"...

what are the different ratio #'s?

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
It is easier than that. jack up the Jeep, and let the axle hang by the spring. Then measure that distance plus 1" from center of mount to center of mount. The front will be from center of lower mount to the fender where the shock mounts.

denverd1
01-15-2012, 02:40 AM
Gotcha. So 50/50 is more or a touring shock. And higher ratio is better for off road and wheeling?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes, that is correct. Also a progressive valving is better too. Beyond that a monotube shock is better than double tubed. At that point you start getting more expensive though.

bluedragon436
01-15-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm running Rough Country's RC9000 series shocks, which are Nitrogen filled. Alot of folks said my ride would get rough during the winter months, but I haven't noticed a difference during any time of the year.. I am very pleased with the on-road ride of these shocks, and what limited off-road time I've gotten has been pretty decent thus far..

jeepxj95
01-17-2012, 01:00 AM
are the 9000's the adjustable shocks (if not what are they) i think that would be the besst of both world.... any thoughts

bigjim350
01-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Yes the Rancho 9000 shocks are the ones that are adjustable. Never used em, but fixing to replace 4 on a friends truck that are all blown with less than 5k miles on em.

denverd1
01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
hey bigjim. are you replacing the Ranchos? or replacing something else, that blew after 5k miles WITH Ranchos? Just curious...

denverd1
03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Finally getting around to buying shocks. Any thoughts on adjustables vs fixed?

denverd1
03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
jacked up the front: 27" extended

at rest, 21" from mount to mount. with a 4" gap in bumpstop and axle. so thats 17" compressed.

I'll measure the back tomorrow.

denverd1
03-10-2012, 05:02 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/40ea43fd-dcc4-295e.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

denverd1
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
best price I could find:
http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com/Rancho-RS999028.html?fe_feedid=210&fe_code=Rancho-RS999028&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=feedexact

I tried to look on amazon, but couldn't find specific lengths...

4.3LXJ
03-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Getting shock lengths is sometimes difficult. The 9000 is supposed to be a good shock

denverd1
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Where on earth are you guys buying shocks?? All I've got locally is Prep Boys and the 4x4 shops. Was trying to get my specific length online to save $$ and make sure I have exactly what I need. any ideas? The other link I posted is pretty close, but now I'm thinking of adding a few inches before I buy shocks and can't find what I need!!

4.3LXJ
03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Try this. You will have to scratch your head a little for this. But this is how I got my shocks from Monroe when I got them.

Carves
03-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Where on earth are you guys buying shocks?? All I've got locally is Prep Boys and the 4x4 shops. Was trying to get my specific length online to save $$ and make sure I have exactly what I need. any ideas? The other link I posted is pretty close, but now I'm thinking of adding a few inches before I buy shocks and can't find what I need!!

Tenneco used to have complete listings of their monroe & whatever shocks on pdf files.

Looks like they have gone to the useless ... what is your vehicle ... only, search setup.

Seems these days your only allowed to know what will fit your stock vehicle ... not what can be made to fit or used as an alternative .... :bang:

Save the pdf in the 4.3LXJ's next post on your pooter ... before it leads to a 404 as well ... like the complete vehicle listing.

After much time .... and beers .... comparing the XJs shocky specs with others .... you'll have monroe part numbers to use as a guide for your preferred shocky brand.

4.3LXJ
03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Here is the link for the Monroe site. I used this when I got my Gas Magnums for my XJ. Great shocks by the way

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

Carves
03-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Thats better .... all the info on one file .. :thumbsup:

denverd1
03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
YES!! Thank you gentlemen.

denverd1
03-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Steve, awesome sheet. In the interest of finding the correct length quickly, I pasted the info into a spreadsheet and sorted by compressed length IIRC. Makes finding the right shock a bit easier. Here's a link if anyone's interested:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12538814/Monroe%20Shock%20sheet.pdf

4.3LXJ
03-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Denver, when using the extended length charts, it is important to look at mountings at both ends. For instance, the mounting at the bottom for the rear is an L1 mounting. However our Jeep upper mounts are a fluke. So to make it easier, you can either press in a cross bar or use a bar pin eliminator, which also takes the L1 mounting. If you do that, there are several lengths you can use that will bolt in. In the case of the front, the upper mount is a S1 stud mount, but you can also use an S3. In my case I used a 28" shock with the stud and pressed out the sleeve and pressed in the bar to make a nice stock mount. But again you can also use a bar pin eliminator for the bottom and use the L1 bottom mount.

Jarlaxle
03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
FYI: RockAuto currently has rebates on Monroe and Rancho shocks.

denverd1
09-27-2012, 03:35 PM
http://www.shocksandsuspension.com/productinfo-item-43_dc-1.htm
Ordered 4 of these bad boys. Very nice lady at Doetsch Enterprises told me thats what they run on all their vehicles too. 2 hundy for a set of 4 of their best shock. be here next week.

says bumpstops are built in..? never seen that before..

XJ Wheeler
09-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Ordered 4 of these bad boys. Very nice lady at Doetsch Enterprises told me thats what they run on all their vehicles too. 2 hundy for a set of 4 of their best shock. be here next week.

I call BS. Shock mounts weren't designed to take that abuse. The bumpstop mounts are beefed up for a reason.

4.3LXJ
09-27-2012, 06:39 PM

I have. There have been several types of shocks in past years that had them. But as said above, I wouldn't want to use them too much like that

denverd1
09-28-2012, 09:42 AM
well I wouldn't rely on them for bumpstops, just thought it was interesting. I've got extended stops up front and the stock pads in the rear. running them with bar pin eliminators back there.

Dredwolf
09-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Okay, another shock question......if I cut down the shock mounts on a 8.25 for ground clearance, and then use like the Detours Shock re locators.....then measure for shocks....:stars:

Do I measure for that the same way as "normal" measuring for shocks? I have visions of a rampaging nitro-charged shock rocketing around in the XJ's cabin....terminating in the back of my skull :shocker:

4.3LXJ
09-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes, you measure the final distance the same way. Fully extended plus 1/2" for extended length, then bump stop for compressed length

07Negative
09-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Okay, another shock question......if I cut down the shock mounts on a 8.25 for ground clearance, and then use like the Detours Shock re locators.....then measure for shocks....:stars:

Do I measure for that the same way as "normal" measuring for shocks? I have visions of a rampaging nitro-charged shock rocketing around in the XJ's cabin....terminating in the back of my skull :shocker:

So what's the question? Same ideal applies. You cut off your shock mounts on the axle. You either flex it out via RTI ramp or the back of Safeway loading docks. Take your measurements both flexed and on level ground (extended/collapsed). It doesn't change how to measure regardless of how you located shock mounts. However! If your doing JeepSpeed, Your limited to your amount of travel.
I'm surprised no one has raised the question, "what does the numerical values mean in the valving? i.e 50/50, 70/30, 80/20, etc? I mean really, how many people actually know? And how many company's actually know? Very few seem to post that info. And you do know there are actually few company's that truly make their own shocks? Needless to say for some brands you're just over paying. It's all bullshit after that.

Dredwolf
09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
So what's the question? Same ideal applies. You cut off your shock mounts on the axle. You either flex it out via RTI ramp or the back of Safeway loading docks. Take your measurements both flexed and on level ground (extended/collapsed). It doesn't change how to measure regardless of how you located shock mounts. However! If your doing JeepSpeed, Your limited to your amount of travel.
I'm surprised no one has raised the question, "what does the numerical values mean in the valving? i.e 50/50, 70/30, 80/20, etc? I mean really, how many people actually know? And how many company's actually know? Very few seem to post that info. And you do know there are actually few company's that truly make their own shocks? Needless to say for some brands you're just over paying. It's all bullshit after that.

The 8.25 swap today helped the visualization a great deal. The PO apparently could afford Rustys front shocks, but not the rear. The rear were a set of Monroe produced Gas Matics in the stock length for an XJ, according to the Advance Auto Parts website....I am trying to figure out why they had not broken.

When I swapped from the D35 to the 8.25, even jacking up the 8.25 was not going to make the old shocks work.

Now I can get into suspension valving in great detail, but that was a few years ago when I was running Open class Enduros and Hare Scrambles on a built XR400 and a KTM 300MXC, and preferred to jump the creeks instead of slowing down to cross :D

Just not that particular at this point on the XJ....if I want to go fast offroad, I'll get the KTM out.

Dredwolf
12-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Love the search feature....I may be giving Doetsch a call, trying to find the perfect length for the rebuild of my front lift. With the demise of the Hecklethorn/Rough Country 9000 series, I have been on a futile search this weekend to mail-order the shocks I need.

denverd1
12-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I've had mine on for a month or two now. Quite happy with them, of course I don't have much to compare too... Smoothed out the body roll I was getting in corners. I called them up and they were able to recommend front and rear shocks based off our conversation. got their best shock for about 200 and change 4 all four. Are there better shocks out there? sure, but not for my money.

Dredwolf
12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I've had mine on for a month or two now. Quite happy with them, of course I don't have much to compare too... Smoothed out the body roll I was getting in corners. I called them up and they were able to recommend front and rear shocks based off our conversation. got their best shock for about 200 and change 4 all four. Are there better shocks out there? sure, but not for my money.

I managed to work out the dimensions on the 9000 series I was going to get, so I will give them a call. I hate to mix shocks, but I just got these 9000's, and they worked well in my application.