PDA

View Full Version : Major steering box problems need help asap :o

OhJeepers
01-13-2012, 07:29 AM
I have recently completed my latest an greatest creation, my 8" full custom long arm on my 90 xj an was ecstatic to drive it for the first time. first time drove like a dream nice an smooth for being lifted an everything was just peachy. Well after driving around a while I started getting some thing like death wobble.. but it wasn't. It was weird. So I talked to a guy I know who owns a 4x4 shop in tampa, who said the odd vibrations were from me running 38's an the xj steering box being so weak. He said I can buy a bracket then with make the box sit stronger, has any one else heard or done this. Oh an also renix motors, any one having problems with them over heating, I found remedy thats fairly cheap an easy lemme know if you need some advice.

OrangeXJ
01-13-2012, 07:50 AM
I think you can replace with a Durango box which is stronger.

LizardRunner
01-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Get a V-8 Durango steering box and one of the steeriing box braces, tires that large are going to need the extra beef just so the steering box will stay together. You may find that you have to upgrade the power steering pump as well but the above two will give you the ability to make that determination. The regular (V-6) durango steering box is good for tires up to 35" but larger than that and you need to go to the V-8 Durango box.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Chris

You are on 38s. Awesome. Bias Ply by any chance? Interco tires?

As far as the box goes, it may not be the box itself, but how it is mounted. The XJ frame if you want to call it that flexes and is weak. A heavier box may not be the answer. Something that helps is to use a plate like one for a winch bumper on the side that incorporates the steering box bolts. There is also a plate you can get for the inside. Also, are you using a dropped pitman arm? Those put extra stress on the bottom of the box.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Chris

You are on 38s. Awesome. Bias Ply by any chance? Interco tires?

As far as the box goes, it may not be the box itself, but how it is mounted. The XJ frame if you want to call it that flexes and is weak. A heavier box may not be the answer. Something that helps is to use a plate like one for a winch bumper on the side that incorporates the steering box bolts. There is also a plate you can get for the inside. Also, are you using a dropped pitman arm? Those put extra stress on the bottom of the box.

JENSSEN
01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
First thing ; reinforce the unibody on the outside where the bolts go through, regardless of steering box, this is a must. I have done the Durango box swap and it is a great upgrade!

For your over heat issues; does your jeep run rough when I heats up, low on power, bad idle by chance?

OhJeepers
01-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Ok answers for every one. A over heating problem, No it does not run rough. I guess you could say it doesnt over heat per say, but once i shut the jeep off my cap pops off the bladder an it flashes over. an 4.3 lxj no they are 37.5 Pitbull rockers bias ply on pro comp steel rims. Love'em i'll never run another tire unless I go to like creepy crawlers or like red labels, I swear by the tires. Expensive as can be but deff worth ever dime. An thanks every one for the steering help.

Krew
06-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Jenssen- you said you did the Durango steering box upgrade, I was wondering if you had to upgrade the power steering pump as well and if so which one did you use. Also you said you should use a frame stabilizer, which would you prefer the, C-Rok Frame Reinforcing or Rusty's Steering Box Frame Plates, or are they the same thing?

JENSSEN
06-22-2012, 09:41 AM
To be honest I made mine, and tied it into the front bumper which is welded on lol , I tend to over build. The big thing is just make sure you look at material thickness and span of the brace. You may need longer bolts. Withe the Durango box I may have lost some turning radius which we are looking into the weekend. As for the pump it's the original OEM pump

xj4life2
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Jenssen- you said you did the Durango steering box upgrade, I was wondering if you had to upgrade the power steering pump as well and if so which one did you use. Also you said you should use a frame stabilizer, which would you prefer the, C-Rok Frame Reinforcing or Rusty's Steering Box Frame Plates, or are they the same thing?

If you have the tools you can make your own , there very simple and doesn't take much time at all. I have the plans for it somewhere around here. I'm not sure what Jenssen did but most people who go to the durango box use the XJ pump, The only other thing I would add is a smaller PS pump Pully so it spins faster and give more fluid. I found one at the JY and used it, but I believe that Gen Rite makes one for about $90.00. Its billited and has fins to act as a cooler for the pump.

Krew
06-23-2012, 07:33 AM
You said you found yours at the Junk Yard i was wondering what Vec. did you pull it from, that sounds like a cheaper upgrade.

07Negative
06-24-2012, 02:17 PM
C-Rok and TNT Customs makes plates for the steering box. A Durango box isn't going to do you any good. Even with only 3 mounting points, the stock XJ box does well with those plates put on.