PDA

View Full Version : OEM Keyless Entry install?

Sneedle Vision
01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
I found a place that is selling an OEM keyless entry kit for a 99-01 and they say that it's just a plug and play setup.

The kit just has the two fobs and a circuit board. I'm looking to do this because it is way cheaper than having my local Jeep reprogram fobs at $50 each.

Anybody have any experience with this? Any helpful advice with an install?

HPI_Savage25
01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
You should be able to program the fobs yourself....I use to work at Ford and we did them all the time on used cars that came in for resale. You just have to figure out the sequence to get it in training mode. I know on the fords you cycle the key on/off 8 times. Leave it on the 8th time and press the lock/unlock on your old remote then do it to the new remote. I believe you can do it straight to a new remote also. Can't remember exactly. We would know when they were in so called training when the locks would lock/unlock on the 8th cycle.

Sneedle Vision
01-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Well after doing some scrounging I found that the circuit board is located in the dome light housing.

So you only have to take out the dome light lens, unscrew 2 screws, slide off the dome light housing and plug in the new circuit board. It doesn't look to be as difficult as I imagined it to be.

I will post some pictures once I get the parts in.

seu83
01-17-2012, 08:54 AM
How much did you say you found the kit for, and from where? I'm in the same boat, no keyless. I'll definately be watching this. Thanks.

Sneedle Vision
01-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Okay, so the parts came in today! I got them from a place called Davey's Jeeps (www.daveysjeeps.com). This is the second time I've ordered from them. If there is something I can't find at the junkyard, they usually have it! And as a bonus, it's not just XJ parts but pretty much any Jeep you can think of.

The kit with 2 key fobs cost $75 plus shipping.

The install on my 2000 was very easy! I do Just had to remove the dome light and put in the circuit board. The board is held in with 2 small jeweler size screws and then the harness plug. As soon as this was in, both fobs worked without an issue!

countreeboy_23
01-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Okay, so the parts came in today! I got them from a place called Davey's Jeeps (www.daveysjeeps.com). This is the second time I've ordered from them. If there is something I can't find at the junkyard, they usually have it! And as a bonus, it's not just XJ parts but pretty much any Jeep you can think of.

The install on my 2000 was very easy! I do Just had to remove the dome light and put in the circuit board. The board is held in with 2 small jeweler size screws and then the harness plug. As soon as this was in, both fobs worked without an issue!
Wish I either lived closer to Ohio or had enough money to travel to davey's jeeps.

Mudderoy
01-25-2012, 02:01 AM

I've purchased from him before, off of ebay. I bought a OEM fog light to replace the cracked and broken one in my bumper. He sent me a stereo.

I contact him and he asked if I wouldn't mind shipping the stereo to the right guy, I waited until I had the fog light then I sent the stereo out (felt like a scam).

Then they credited me the cost of the light, about $40 at the time. I tried to get him to keep the money but he refused.

Customer satisfied! :D