PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Insurance - Snapshot

Mudderoy
01-11-2012, 08:55 AM
http://epautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/prog-snap-300x167.jpg

I've been seeing Progressive Insurance commercials promoting a little device that you plug into your vehicle. It monitors your driving and they say you can get up to 30% off your insurance.

I find this really disturbing. From what I can tell this is a recording device that connects to your ODBD II diagnostic port. This allows your INSURANCE company to know when, how fast, acceleration, and if they want to mine the data enough just how well you maintain your vehicle!

:wow: Talk about big brother. Personally I believe it can be use, and I would almost be certain it would be, NOT to pay a claim. Citing the evidence YOU provided to the insurance company of either reckless driving, or poor mechanical upkeep.

http://epautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/prog-snap-2-300x220.jpg

All the information I have on this subject I have received from the brief 30 second commercials, so they're may be guarantees, or even regulations that restrict what information that can legally collect and use. So get the full information prior to deciding for or against this product/service.

I primarily wanted to warn everyone to at least be concerned enough to find out more information that the SALES person tells you. Remember often the sales person is just as oblivious to the facts are you are.

XJ Wheeler
01-11-2012, 09:06 AM
When it comes to insurance companies READ the fine print.

LizardRunner
01-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I have progressive insurance on my bike. but I would never use that little device if I were to have cars, etc. with them Just lets them have to much information about your dirving habits. Just because they might have laws against them collecting all your data, doesn't mean they will always follow them.

Mudderoy
01-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I have progressive insurance on my bike. but I would never use that little device if I were to have cars, etc. with them Just lets them have to much information about your dirving habits. Just because they might have laws against them collecting all your data, doesn't mean they will always follow them.

Exactly. Again it guess it depends on the laws in your state, but I bet they could and would use it to drop you.

AND this is a big and. If there was an accident, or even a criminal investigation this device's information would be considered to be factual and not as impeachable as eye witness testimony. I think it's just a really really bad idea for consumers.

With that said, I do foursquare, facebook, twitter, run a few websites.... :rotfl2:

702XJCruiser
01-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I agree with your statements, but it probably would save me a bit on my Honda. The snap shot would reveal that things only gets about 7000 miles a year or less.

I still wouldn't do it though and have been refusing it since they started offering it 2 years ago or thereabouts.

Mudderoy
01-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I agree with your statements, but it probably would save me a bit on my Honda. The snap shot would reveal that things only gets about 7000 miles a year or less.

I still wouldn't do it though and have been refusing it since they started offering it 2 years ago or thereabouts.

Two years! Wow I just noticed it. Interesting, love the discussion guys, thanks.

702XJCruiser
01-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah the public ads are recent, but they've been offering it to customers for a while. I've been with them since 2006. Happy with their service overall.

N8N
01-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I would never sign up for this... My driving would probably reveal lots of swerving and braking... Because drivers in northern VA are idiots! I'd be able to drive more "safely" if I got to "share" the road with people who understood signals, mirrors, and right of way. I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy a winch bumper...

Mudderoy
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
I would never sign up for this... My driving would probably reveal lots of swerving and braking... Because drivers in northern VA are idiots! I'd be able to drive more "safely" if I got to "share" the road with people who understood signals, mirrors, and right of way. I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy a winch bumper...

I bought a set of IPF headlights. Now people talking on the cell in the fast lane (at night) first slow down, then break, then move the hell out of the way! :D

I make sure NOT to ride their a$$, I believe in the 2 second rule.

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I like to leave plenty of room too. But in CA, that just means someone just fills the space.

Mudderoy
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I like to leave plenty of room too. But in CA, that just means someone just fills the space.

Oh it's just as bad here, but 2 seconds isn't that far back, also I can usually tell when someone is going for the gap and I speed up. Love the 4.56 gears. When they do make it in they see a big a$$ bumper and winch in their rear view about 6 inches from their car. :rotfl2:

XJ Rat
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
My middle daughter used the snapshot on her car. Progressive stated it tracked the distance she drove to see what rate she qualifies for. She did not qualify for the cheaper rate.

She also believes Facebook is secure and no one can access her site......kids, they'll learn.

xj4life2
01-11-2012, 12:49 PM
We actually have a similar device to use on veh. that have intermitant problems so we can get a snapshot of what the entire veh is doing when the offence occures. Kinda cool for us but as for big brother useing it ........ I don't like that at all. I know ours was pretty pricey , so I'm guessing they have alot of somebodys money to throw around.

Mudderoy
01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eLpQt33Y_Vo/S2wyCp9MNEI/AAAAAAAAAhw/jaQnXJq8U3s/s400/progressive.jpg

Check out this blog post... :link: (http://www.foundersrevolution.net/2011/12/that-word-progressive.html)

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
On the flip side, if you drive a pre OBDII vehicle, it won't work on it. That data is not available.

Indiana Jeep
01-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I have seen the commercials but never really thought that much about it. I have Geico insurance and while I have never had a problem with them I wouldn't be surprised if they have this soon if not already.

prerunner1982
01-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Hartford already has something similar as well, but have not seen it advertised.

DETOURS
01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
I never found Flo attractive........and I doubt they can give me better rates than a local,state agency offers.........cost me "9" DOLLARS to add a Honda Civic to our policy last month.

Stick that in your on board air & smoke it!;)

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Hartford already has something similar as well, but have not seen it advertised.

We have Hartford and haven't heard about it.

Firemanray
01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Snapshot would RAISE my premiums I'm sure!! However when I was in the marine business progressive paid boat claims fast and generously. I'm not a big fan of anyone "keeping tabs" on me.

bigjim350
01-12-2012, 01:58 AM
I have the snapshot device in two of my cars and it did lower my premium. It measures speed and other stuff but the only thing that it measures that lowers your rate is hard braking. They consider hard braking dropping 7mph in less than 1 sec. That's all they base the discount on. On my monthly reports it shows my driving 2500 miles with a top speed of 108 and like I said my premium still dropped cause I had no hard braking

Sent from my VM670

default83
01-12-2012, 07:22 AM
could you imagine having this thing in your car and going offroad? they would freak the hell out.

most of where i drive if its not work, is really bumpy dirt roads or through fields being my family lives in the country so im there alot, brake/gas/brake/gas they would think you were drunk or racing from stop light to stop light.

N8N
01-12-2012, 07:46 AM
I have the snapshot device in two of my cars and it did lower my premium. It measures speed and other stuff but the only thing that it measures that lowers your rate is hard braking. They consider hard braking dropping 7mph in less than 1 sec. That's all they base the discount on. On my monthly reports it shows my driving 2500 miles with a top speed of 108 and like I said my premium still dropped cause I had no hard braking

Sent from my VM670

Well like I said hard braking is a regular occurrance for me because people around here don't think the laws of physics apply to them... So I won't be getting one of these.

saar
01-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Amazing.
Here we still do not see it, but it will probably be used to avoid payment by the companies.
Someone mentioned, fine print...
Saar

Brasscatz
01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Well, the good thing is that it is still optional..... for now! Our freedoms are slowly being thrown in the trash any time you want to do anything. When you buy a house, the bank has to have official bank statements for the last 6 months or so, just so they can see exactly how and where you spend your money... then they ask you questions about it like "where did that deposit of $3,000 come from?" I sold a car, jackhole. You want to talk to the new owner and check his prostate too? Then they want to see official college transcripts proving that your wife has the certification to do her job... I'm sorry, but that's too far.

Now that my little rant is done! I suppose if you are a person that wants to give up some freedoms so you can save 15% by switching to snapshot, that's fine and good luck to you. Let's just pray that it doesn't become mandatory.

Mudderoy
01-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Well, the good thing is that it is still optional..... for now! Our freedoms are slowly being thrown in the trash any time you want to do anything. When you buy a house, the bank has to have official bank statements for the last 6 months or so, just so they can see exactly how and where you spend your money... then they ask you questions about it like "where did that deposit of $3,000 come from?" I sold a car, jackhole. You want to talk to the new owner and check his prostate too? Then they want to see official college transcripts proving that your wife has the certification to do her job... I'm sorry, but that's too far.

Now that my little rant is done! I suppose if you are a person that wants to give up some freedoms so you can save 15% by switching to snapshot, that's fine and good luck to you. Let's just pray that it doesn't become mandatory.

That was my concern and I wanted to make people aware of it and the possible issues that it could bring in the future. Companies and governments are slow to do things when people start getting upset about it.

Universal health care being a glaring exception.

Brasscatz
01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
That was my concern and I wanted to make people aware of it and the possible issues that it could bring in the future. Companies and governments are slow to do things when people start getting upset about it.

Universal health care being a glaring exception.

Bingo... I was thinking the same thing about health care. Glad you said it. And pretty soon, we won't be insurable, thus not allowed to drive, if we have "pre-existing accidents".

bigjim350
01-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Uhhh could somebody please tell me how I lost some freedom by opting in to an optional program??

Sent from my VM670

XJ Wheeler
01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
If it does become mandatory i'm glad all my vehicles are too old to have obd2. Of course for those vehicles they may just automatically make you pay the max since they can't tell.

Brasscatz
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Uhhh could somebody please tell me how I lost some freedom by opting in to an optional program??

Sent from my VM670

I do want to apologize, I should have added a "possibly" in that statement:
"I suppose if you are a person that wants to possibly give up some freedoms".

A very strong argument is that because, like I did say before, it IS optional, and if you choose to participate, it shouldn't be considered giving up freedoms. However, privacy is a freedom and you may choose to lose some of your privacy, thus losing some freedom. Just like if your boss at work says he'll/she'll pay you 5% more if you agree to never leave a designated 10X10 area of workspace... You may choose to accept the offer, but you lose the freedom of moving about where you desire if you wish to continue the agreed terms. One can also argue what is considered "privacy". It means different things to different people.

I completely agree that either side has a valid and strong argument. I assure you that I meant no offense by any of what I said. I hope you didn't take offense to it, and please accept my apology if I did offend you. I was simply offering my point of view. :sign0181::thumbsup:

Firemanray
01-12-2012, 08:15 PM
The problem with anything that starts small is as soon as the door is cracked open somebody (guvment, big business etc) will soon kick it wide open. Kind of like my Xj, I was just going to drive it and do some mild offroading then give it to my son when he got his license, now look at that sucker!!! I kicked the door right off the hinges!! It's Big Jim's fault!:D

Brasscatz
01-12-2012, 09:41 PM
The problem with anything that starts small is as soon as the door is cracked open somebody (guvment, big business etc) will soon kick it wide open. Kind of like my Xj, I was just going to drive it and do some mild offroading then give it to my son when he got his license, now look at that sucker!!! I kicked the door right off the hinges!! It's Big Jim's fault!:D

Lol, good point.

@Big Jim- plus, I live on the beltway... you never know when I might need roadside assistance, lol!

DETOURS
01-13-2012, 06:50 PM
See if "Farm Bureau" insurance is offered in your area's......they make Flo look like a pimple faced prostitute...........;)

Oh and "FLO".....is that ditzy chick in those Progressive commercials if you have'nt worked that out yet......:thumbsup:

oderdene
01-14-2012, 08:57 AM
nobody invest for not useful things. it may invented for them for saving payback insurance. we all know about tracing capability of iPhone, android phones etc. it is so so ...

4.3LXJ
01-14-2012, 03:15 PM
The good news is, if you don't have OBDII engine management systems, it won't work.:sign0181:

DETOURS
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
If you're Amish, they have a anal insert adapter for the horse..........:rolleye0012:

It's refered to as the road apple discount.

4.3LXJ
01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Does it come with a special "Tail Bone" bracket to hold the tail up and out of the way?

Niac
01-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I believe all 2012 and later cars will have a federally mandated black box in them that will collect all the pertinent data. I'm thinking Chevy has had the capabilities for years. There was even talk of county tax on the miles you drive by reading the recorded data.

HPI_Savage25
01-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Start taxing me on the miles I drive each year and it will be parked. I'll ride my bike. If they ever try to do it to new cars I don't see them trying to tax them unless they can make sure that ALL cars on the road no matter what year the car is, has it installed.

Firemanray
01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Start taxing me on the miles I drive each year and it will be parked. I'll ride my bike. If they ever try to do it to new cars I don't see them trying to tax them unless they can make sure that ALL cars on the road no matter what year the car is, has it installed.

Ergo the cash for clunkers program (that was a misrable failure). The goal was to rid the roadways of the "older" less "economical" vehicals,forcing people to buy newer vehicals due to lack of supply in older ones. Caused the untimely death of many Xj's and other nice stuff.

Mudderoy
01-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Ergo the cash for clunkers program (that was a misrable failure). The goal was to rid the roadways of the "older" less "economical" vehicals,forcing people to buy newer vehicals due to lack of supply in older ones. Caused the untimely death of many Xj's and other nice stuff.

Also hurt auto parts companies, and auto repair services.

4.3LXJ
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM

The original proposal for that was for electric cars and hybrids. Since an electric car uses no fuel, it would not pay any road tax through the use of gasoline.

Mudderoy
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
The original proposal for that was for electric cars and hybrids. Since an electric car uses no fuel, it would not pay any road tax through the use of gasoline.

I'm okay with this if they make it legal for me to drive my Jeep off road, I don't needs their roads! :D

4.3LXJ
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I could only apply to 97 and up vehicles anyway. You cannot get that data off an OBDI or earlier vehicle. So to make it universal would be a tough retrofit unless it was GPS related. That would take a lot of airwaves and computer power to track a million or two vehicles. But I think it will come for electrics shortly if they catch on. Or a tax on charging stations that are being installed at malls here now.

Mudderoy
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I could only apply to 97 and up vehicles anyway. You cannot get that data off an OBDI or earlier vehicle. So to make it universal would be a tough retrofit unless it was GPS related. That would take a lot of airwaves and computer power to track a million or two vehicles. But I think it will come for electrics shortly if they catch on. Or a tax on charging stations that are being installed at malls here now.

How hard would it be to create a pass through so that you were able to control what data the OBDII plugin recorded? I bet it would be pretty simple and cheap. :rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
01-17-2012, 12:08 PM
That is not one I have thought about. The device would probably plug into the port under the CEL I would think that a switch on a couple of the wires to the ECM would do it. Then turn it back on for inspections etc.

Mudderoy
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
That is not one I have thought about. The device would probably plug into the port under the CEL I would think that a switch on a couple of the wires to the ECM would do it. Then turn it back on for inspections etc.

You could just put it in between the OBDII port and the Progressive snapshot.

If you mean the black box, well it would have to be tied in somewhere. From what I can tell the OBDII works a lot like the old HAYES "AT" command set. I bet only one wire for reception of data is used like it was on the RS-232 connectors. Lots of pins, only used 3 of the 25. Transmit, receive and ground. :D

4.3LXJ
01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I am not sure about that. There are other wires on the OBDI also, and I think if I remember rightly those can be used to access the chip. I think also on OBDII that some of those wires can be used for custom tuning, such as speedo calibration.

olds-cool
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
I think it's kinda funny that while I'm reading this, there is an ad for progressive just above the chatbox :mel:

Niac
01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
How hard would it be to create a pass through so that you were able to control what data the OBDII plugin recorded? I bet it would be pretty simple and cheap. :rotfl2:

OBDII uses all the data to run the engine and shift the transmission. It would have to be a rechip.

Mudderoy
05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Progressive is taking another run at big brother type of information gathering.

They are using the "Rate Sucker" ad campaign. Showing people stuck to your vehicle. But you can get rid of these eye sores by simply plugging in Progressive's data gathering device.

Holy shit! This is creepy as hell. I'm going to volunteer information to my insurance company and they can use it ANY way they see fit? Look Bubba issuing insurance is a risk, you know like being in business?

Do you people really think that an insurance company won't skew the data in their favor when necessary?

I'm interested in your opinion.

Brasscatz
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm interested to see what their idea of safe driving is. Do we have to drive 10 under the speed limit? Do we have to avoid certain parts of town? If we slam on our brakes, or mash the gas pedal to avoid an accident, does that count against us since it'll show dramatic speed changes? How about seeing the routes we take in more heavily populated and high traffic situations on a daily basis... Will that hurt us because our risk is higher? I'm genuinely curious to see what qualifies and what doesn't.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

XJ Wheeler
05-21-2013, 01:45 PM
All of the above, most likely.

Mudderoy
05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Progressive Insurance named in class action lawsuit over its Snapshot® usage-based insurance program

http://gotaclassaction.com/progressive-insurance-named-in-class-action-lawsuit-over-its-snapshot-usage-based-insurance-program/

Mudderoy
05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-how-it-works/

Drive.

Drive like you usually do for 30 days and go online to see your projected savings, as well as:
•how often you slam on the brakes;
•how many miles you drive;
•and how often you drive between midnight and 4 a.m.

Mudderoy
05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
The Snapshot device records the time of day and distance traveled, along with the vehicle’s speed, second by second. But Progressive deliberately left GPS out of the device so the car’s exact location is not known; otherwise, more drivers might be nervous about using it.

Typically, Progressive collects data for only six months (that’s the “snapshot”), after which the customer removes and returns the device. The discount can then continue indefinitely. The company reserves the right to take another snapshot later, such as after an accident.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/business/seeking-cheaper-insurance-drivers-accept-monitoring-devices.html?_r=0

Paddletrucker
05-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Be careful with these kinds of devices. THey started that with semis many years ago with a much less technological solution. Now, we pay a per mile fuel tax in each state we drive in. Ex.-TX is .22 cents/gallon for each gallon used in TX, whether you purchased fuel there or not. So....if I got 6mpg for 200 miles in the state of TX, and bought fuel in OK, I used a little over 33 gallons in TX, therefore I owe TX $7.33. KS is .26 cents and I drive about 400 miles every night in that God forsaken hole. Oh, and yes...there's a nice complicated government tax form you get to file for each state every quarter for every mile you drive in each state.

With today's more fuel efficient cars, many law makers have suggested, and tried to get legislation passed, to make us pay a per mile tax on our personal vehicles, citing a reduction in fuel taxes due to more fuel efficient vehicles.

This will also let our benevolent overseers see how much we are traveling and if it's really necessary to use that much fuel and contribute to global warming, or cooling, or climate change, or whatever they're calling that hoax this week. Think it's out of the realm of possibility? Do a little research on lawmakers who want a per mile tax on vehicles. Read the reasons why they say this is a great idea and the information they want to glean from the program.

The way these things creep into law is first through voluntary programs. People will talk about how much they like it and how advantageous it is and how much they like it. "Why don't you want the government to know where you're driving? What do you have to hide?"

George Orwell's 1984 was NOT supposed to be an instruction manual!!
ONE NATION, UNDER SURVEILLANCE

4.3LXJ
05-21-2013, 04:42 PM
One nice thing about Renix and pre Renix XJs is that they couldn't do it. The computers in them are not capable of giving that information. OBDI is doubtful also. This can only be done on OBDII vehicles

bigjim350
05-21-2013, 04:52 PM
I still get the discount on my insurance from when I used the snapshot thing a while back. Think yall are just too paranoid. Companies get way more info on you through smart phones and the internet than they ever would through that snapshot. Plus its only used for bout 6 months. Once you send it back your no longer "tracked" by the boogie man.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Mudderoy
05-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Watch Jim will wake up one day with a missing kidney, lung or something!

bigjim350
05-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Nope I've assured nobody will ever want any of my organs by abusing them heavily. :D

XJ Wheeler
05-21-2013, 10:04 PM
They gotta get those damaged organs for comparison from somewhere. :D

bigjim350
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Well if they knock another 20% off my insurance, they can have em.

XJ Wheeler
05-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Its insurance, most likely we would all still pay dearly for it.

dagod16
05-24-2013, 02:01 AM
FYI in two years every new vehicle will have a little black box which records all your driving data.

grapeape
05-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Also hurt auto parts companies, and auto repair services.

It nearly killed the shop I used to work for. I started out as an apprentice at a small 3 man shop in rural Idaho. A huge portion of our business was repairing old farm trucks, and classic cars. (the shop manager was a master upholsterer so we had quite a few restorations come in)

The clunkers had to be crushed, and they could not sell any parts off of them. Liquid glass was poured into the engines of the running ones to seize the engines. This hit us in 2 ways. It killed our parts source- cheap aftermarket parts are nowhere near the quality of classic American parts. This drove up the cost of repairing the classics as well as the the farm trucks, which fed into the 2nd cause- Farmers and working people didn't want to spend the extra money to fix their vehicles with (expensive) quality aftermarket or NOS parts, so instead they sold them to people who were going to trade them in.

XJ Wheeler
05-24-2013, 04:17 AM
It nearly killed the shop I used to work for. I started out as an apprentice at a small 3 man shop in rural Idaho. A huge portion of our business was repairing old farm trucks, and classic cars. (the shop manager was a master upholsterer so we had quite a few restorations come in)

The clunkers had to be crushed, and they could not sell any parts off of them. Liquid glass was poured into the engines of the running ones to seize the engines. This hit us in 2 ways. It killed our parts source- cheap aftermarket parts are nowhere near the quality of classic American parts. This drove up the cost of repairing the classics as well as the the farm trucks, which fed into the 2nd cause- Farmers and working people didn't want to spend the extra money to fix their vehicles with (expensive) quality aftermarket or NOS parts, so instead they sold them to people who were going to trade them in.

It still boggles my mind as to who would think this was a good idea. I guess the idea was to get the older, less economical cars off the road but the parts they destroyed could have been used to maintain the ones that ARE still on the road. So that would be better for the environment too, one would think. But its politics, so nothing makes sense.

Mudderoy
05-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Snapshot this!

http://youtu.be/ELzh2PwGv6I

Paddletrucker
05-27-2013, 01:46 PM
That last one was worthy of the air horn!!!