PDA

View Full Version : Jeep doesnt move after 45mph, throttle position sensor? HELP

W00GYB00GY
01-11-2012, 07:44 AM
So I have a 1996 jeep XJ 6 cyl, 4.0, this problem has been happening for the past couple days and idk what it is...when I'm in drive, and get up to 45mph my jeep doesn't go anymore, it accelerates and the rpms go up past 3,000 but it doesn't actually move, I'm just coasting, but if I put it in 2 then I can drive past 45mph but my rpms goes past 3,000...so I basically can't drive on the hwy do you have any ideas?

It happens at like 35mph-45mph in drive, but If I turn my jeep on, put it in 2 it will never happen. Or if I'm in drive, and the problem happens I can throw it into 2 right away and I can drive faster the 45mph without stalling...

Can anyone help me or tell me what this is, its extremely frustrating, and I need to get this problem solved as quickly as possible...

LizardRunner
01-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Have you checked for codes? it sounds like it may be an ecu problem or TPS. It might also be something with the tranny but I rather doubt it.

W00GYB00GY
01-11-2012, 08:27 AM
I haven't thrown any lights to check codes for...what should I do?

LizardRunner
01-11-2012, 08:41 AM
turn the key on-off 3 times then on and count the flashing lights I think is the proceedure. It's listed on the site somewhere. They come in 2 digits. I tried this on my 95 but never got any flashing, I asked a jeep techie I met about my no codes thing and apparently something about lizard is fried so it won't give any codes. Some one else will probably chime in when they come online. You can also do a reset by touching the two battery terminals together for a few seconds then reconnect, that just might do the trick.

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
You have a 96, so it should be an OBDII. You can get those codes scanned free at places like Autozone. I don't care for them as a parts house, but they offer this free service. But I agree with the concept that your transmission solenoid is not functioning. This could be that the one for the 3/4 gear is not functioning. So keeping it in 2 allows it to stay in gear. If you get it scanned and nothing shows up for codes, I would look into replacing the solenoids affected. A transmission shop can also plug into it and determine if the solenoids are good. But they will charge for that service.

cantab27
01-11-2012, 10:50 AM
check ya oil ..she still fill....

W00GYB00GY
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
check ya oil ..she still fill....

Just checked for oil and transmission fluid and they are both good.

W00GYB00GY
01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
You have a 96, so it should be an OBDII. You can get those codes scanned free at places like Autozone. I don't care for them as a parts house, but they offer this free service. But I agree with the concept that your transmission solenoid is not functioning. This could be that the one for the 3/4 gear is not functioning. So keeping it in 2 allows it to stay in gear. If you get it scanned and nothing shows up for codes, I would look into replacing the solenoids affected. A transmission shop can also plug into it and determine if the solenoids are good. But they will charge for that service.

Where exactly would I buy a transmission solenoid, and where is the tps on a 96 and where is the transmission solenoid? I want to get this fixed as soon as possible, thanks for your help!!!

xj4life2
01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
You can find the TPS on the front of the throttle body as for the Trans solinoid , Jeep or a tranny shop might sell ya one its located in the transmission ,but can be accessed by dropping the trans pan. Do a search on this form I think Muddy had a write on replaceing them as he just did his. I would also tell you to check your catalytic converter to see if its plugged this will also cause this type of issue.

W00GYB00GY
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
My cat is straight piped, did it about a month ago and never had any problems since now, but its straight piped to the muffler.

I found the tps sensor I might just go ahead and buy a new one and replace it to see if that fixes it cause the transmission solenoid doesn't sound like it would be much fun...

xj4life2
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I would tell you to clean it first before you buy a new one, Take it out and clean it with carb cleaner then clean the TB and use a q-tip and get inside the pintel hole for the tb. Check to be sure its adjusted corectly after reinstall.

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Where exactly would I buy a transmission solenoid, and where is the tps on a 96 and where is the transmission solenoid? I want to get this fixed as soon as possible, thanks for your help!!!

Mudderoy bought some, PM him

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Woah, wait a minute here. You should be showing a check engine light on that 96 just for that alone. Better get that engine checked for codes before you go any further. You might end up having to put that exhaust system back to factory specs to cure this.

W00GYB00GY
01-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Woah, wait a minute here. You should be showing a check engine light on that 96 just for that alone. Better get that engine checked for codes before you go any further. You might end up having to put that exhaust system back to factory specs to cure this.

Why would straight piping my exhaust to my muffler cause this? I know plenty of people that have their jeep straight piped and don't have this problem.

It only happens when I'm in "DRIVE", when I'm in "2" or "1" it doesn't do this at all...

HPI_Savage25
01-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a transmission issue to me personally. When driving with it in "drive" see how many gear changes you have. I'm thinking it may be trying to change gears but something is causing it not to?

W00GYB00GY
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
It happens in 3rd gear I believe.

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Why would straight piping my exhaust to my muffler cause this? I know plenty of people that have their jeep straight piped and don't have this problem.

It only happens when I'm in "DRIVE", when I'm in "2" or "1" it doesn't do this at all...

OK, here is the thing a lot of people don't know about straight piping. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. And other times you can do it for awhile, then you can't. It varies by vehicle. But the computer and emissions system all work together and is designed to have all its parts functional. If for instance, it senses an O2 sensor not there, it can shut down the system completely as in a Renix, or OBDI and II throw into limp mode. Limp mode will not let you go very fast. It is exactly what it says it is, limping. So, again I encourage you to get the codes scanned for free and report back with what they say. Since you obviously have a code for the after cat O2 sensor, you may also have one now for the primary sensor, which would make it have a limp mode status.

When you select gears manually, you bypass the solenoids, at least in lower gears.

W00GYB00GY
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
OK, here is the thing a lot of people don't know about straight piping. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. And other times you can do it for awhile, then you can't. It varies by vehicle. But the computer and emissions system all work together and is designed to have all its parts functional. If for instance, it senses an O2 sensor not there, it can shut down the system completely as in a Renix, or OBDI and II throw into limp mode. Limp mode will not let you go very fast. It is exactly what it says it is, limping. So, again I encourage you to get the codes scanned for free and report back with what they say. Since you obviously have a code for the after cat O2 sensor, you may also have one now for the primary sensor, which would make it have a limp mode status.

When you select gears manually, you bypass the solenoids, at least in lower gears.

I have both of my o2 sensors in and haven't had any check engine lights on...I guess I'll make a trip to auto zone and report back here tomorrow and see what the problem is...I'm hoping its just the tps needs to be replaced.

W00GYB00GY
01-12-2012, 06:02 PM
What are the chances that my transmission is actually fked?

Every single person I talk to tells me that my transmission is probably fked, and its getting me extremely stressed out...

When I get into 3rd gear in "D" my tranny basically slips like its in Neutral and my rpms go up, but I don't actually move, I'm just coasting. But when I'm in "3" I can move right threw 3rd gear like its nothing...I don't understand it.

I checked my transmission fluid and it was fine, I bought some Seafoam Trans Tune and put that into my tranny fluid to see if it would take out some moisture but it hasn't worked so far (I've only driven it for about 2-3 miles since I put it in.)

I'm just really hoping I wont have to replace the transmission because I hear that it's bulletproof, but then everyone tells me its probably screwed...

4.3LXJ
01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
What are the chances that my transmission is actually fked?

Every single person I talk to tells me that my transmission is probably fked, and its getting me extremely stressed out...

When I get into 3rd gear in "D" my tranny basically slips like its in Neutral and my rpms go up, but I don't actually move, I'm just coasting. But when I'm in "3" I can move right threw 3rd gear like its nothing...I don't understand it.

I checked my transmission fluid and it was fine, I bought some Seafoam Trans Tune and put that into my tranny fluid to see if it would take out some moisture but it hasn't worked so far (I've only driven it for about 2-3 miles since I put it in.)

I'm just really hoping I wont have to replace the transmission because I hear that it's bulletproof, but then everyone tells me its probably screwed...

That is why we need to know if you have any codes. Without a cat, I know you have at least one. Anything else is really speculation without some hard evidence. The scanning is free. Drive it in second gear someplace close and get the info and go from there.

W00GYB00GY
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
That is why we need to know if you have any codes. Without a cat, I know you have at least one. Anything else is really speculation without some hard evidence. The scanning is free. Drive it in second gear someplace close and get the info and go from there.

I had my jeep scanned and the only thing that came up was;

P0171 (M) 1/1 Fuel System Lean A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.

When I put my 2nd o2 sensor back on the straight pipe I used the anti-fowlers method so my check engine light doesn't come on.

No other codes were thrown, I got a TCU module and I'm going to replace my old one and see if that solves the problem.

uberxj92
01-12-2012, 07:58 PM
i'm with 4.3L on this one. you may have to fix that exhaust because those dual O2 sensor'd vehicles can be pretty tricky even with the fowler method.
even with the "tricked" O2 sensor turning off the check engine light , i would say ( from experiences with my 99 ) that you are gonna end up putting the exhaust back to factory or maybe a performance cat.

also, my 92 is a Laredo & when the electric speed sensor for the speedometer got wet & shorted it would put the jeep into scrwy mode until i unplugged it & havent had a problem ( except no cruise control) in 4 years now.

W00GYB00GY
01-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Well I just replaced my tcu and it still does the same thing...no change.

I'm not sure what I want to do about my exhaust, to get it back to stock will take a decent amount of money, and that's money I don't have.

cantab27
01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
try a trans flush...........

W00GYB00GY
01-12-2012, 09:34 PM
try a trans flush...........

Even if my trans looks good on the dip stick?

I'm going to replace the tps tomorrow.

cantab27
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Even if my trans looks good on the dip stick?

I'm going to replace the tps tomorrow.

when my tps was playing up , trans would shift all over the place ..almost like it was confused...plus it would stall when coming up to a slow corner or stop sign....would ideal for about 2mins slowly dieing to it stalled.....funny how a little piece of black plastic can cause all that...new one sorted it....is yours stallling???

W00GYB00GY
01-12-2012, 09:45 PM
when my tps was playing up , trans would shift all over the place ..almost like it was confused...plus it would stall when coming up to a slow corner or stop sign....would ideal for about 2mins slowly dieing to it stalled.....funny how a little piece of black plastic can cause all that...new one sorted it....is yours stallling???

It doesn't exactly stall, it just slips in 3rd gear, I'll be driving and then all the sudden it will slip, if I touch the gas my RPMs will go up, but I wont accelerate, i'll basically just coast.

cantab27
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
so belts are slipping in trans.....

W00GYB00GY
01-12-2012, 09:56 PM
so belts are slipping in trans.....

I guess, I'm not exactly sure. I'll just be driving and once I hit 35-45mph my tranny will slip and it will rev up like I'm neutral.

I've checked tranny fluid, oil, replaced tcu, and tomorrow I'm replacing the tps.

My other options I have yet to try are, drain tranny fluid, remove my straight pipe and put back on the catalytic converter, replace transmission solenoids, or replace the transmission (DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO DO BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS)

cantab27
01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
well see what tps does first....then do as Steve suggest of start on the google on how to service ya trans...2nd hand trans be cheap over there and is not a hard job..

W00GYB00GY
01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
well see what tps does first....then do as Steve suggest of start on the google on how to service ya trans...2nd hand trans be cheap over there and is not a hard job..

Hopefully I can fix it before I have to replace the transmission because I really don't want to have to do that.

cantab27
01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
dont think its ya trans cory..ive killed two....heaps of warning both times ....white smoke, from a trans oil leak onto exhurst thought i had fix ..went bang..2nd one was from swim x2 in 6 months....will be a simple fix , but finding it is the pita....tis the jeep thing .....

W00GYB00GY
01-12-2012, 10:22 PM
dont think its ya trans cory..ive killed two....heaps of warning both times ....white smoke, from a trans oil leak onto exhurst thought i had fix ..went bang..2nd one was from swim x2 in 6 months....will be a simple fix , but finding it is the pita....tis the jeep thing .....

Thanks for the support, I'm just really stressed out, I can't afford this type of problem right now, (assuming its the transmission replacement). I'm really hoping that the tps will fix it but I'm not going to get to excited until its fixed for good.

W00GYB00GY
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Just replaced my TPS and still no change...

I'm going to try to find the Fuse for the TCU and hopefully that will maybe solve this giant headache.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
If it is working properly in 1 and 2 then it is not the fuse, but checking it never hurts. I don't suppose you have an ohm meter do you?

W00GYB00GY
01-13-2012, 11:15 AM
If it is working properly in 1 and 2 then it is not the fuse, but checking it never hurts. I don't suppose you have an ohm meter do you?

No but I can go out and buy one...what do I do with it?

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 11:26 AM
It is a tool to check electrical resistance. I have been meaning to post a how to thread on diagnosing electrical systems. But in this instance, you need a wiring diagram available free at your local library from the reference section, well you have to pay the copy machine LOL But then you would use this tool to check the wire for the 3-4 solenoid. That way you don't have to pull the pan. You also would check the other stuff as well. The way it works is that if you have a short, it shows no resistance. I have had several. But the best one I think for your use is found at Sears. It measures voltage, DC amperage, important for diagnosing current draw and charging systems and ohms or in your case resistance. It has a tone in that function. If there is a short or continuity, then a tone sounds. You then look at the digital meter and see what the number is. If it is very low, like 1 - 3 ohms, it probably has a short. But if you check that solenoid wire and it says "OL" That means the solenoid is bad or a broken wire to it. At that point you would need to pull the pan and the solenoid and check it. OL means it is bad and needs to be replaced. Cost of this is about $35 and once you have it, is a valuable tool to have and use every time you deal with electrical issues. Make sure it is the one that will measure DC amps. Almost all of them are for AC which is what your house runs on.

W00GYB00GY
01-13-2012, 11:32 AM
It is a tool to check electrical resistance. I have been meaning to post a how to thread on diagnosing electrical systems. But in this instance, you need a wiring diagram available free at your local library from the reference section, well you have to pay the copy machine LOL But then you would use this tool to check the wire for the 3-4 solenoid. That way you don't have to pull the pan. You also would check the other stuff as well. The way it works is that if you have a short, it shows no resistance. I have had several. But the best one I think for your use is found at Sears. It measures voltage, DC amperage, important for diagnosing current draw and charging systems and ohms or in your case resistance. It has a tone in that function. If there is a short or continuity, then a tone sounds. You then look at the digital meter and see what the number is. If it is very low, like 1 - 3 ohms, it probably has a short. But if you check that solenoid wire and it says "OL" That means the solenoid is bad or a broken wire to it. At that point you would need to pull the pan and the solenoid and check it. OL means it is bad and needs to be replaced. Cost of this is about $35 and once you have it, is a valuable tool to have and use every time you deal with electrical issues. Make sure it is the one that will measure DC amps. Almost all of them are for AC which is what your house runs on.

Ok, well my friends father owns a transmission shop and I'm going to take my jeep there first and see what he thinks about it, and then I'm going to sears to buy the meter I'll keep you guys informed, thanks for the help 4.3LXJ

cantab27
01-13-2012, 11:40 AM
i have a pic in in one of my post with pan off and you can see the solenoids...
shit just post the pic be easier..

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image0576.jpg

W00GYB00GY
01-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Well I have my trans pan and filter both out, ready to be replaced. I drained all the fluid and am about to put the filter in and fill her back up and pray that this may be the solution...

W00GYB00GY
01-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Well draining and replacing trans fluid and replacing trans filter didn't fix the problem...FML...this is getting extremely annoying and more stressful...

cantab27
01-13-2012, 07:54 PM
sorry cory cant help any more ...hard to throw ideas out from the other side of the world...buddys dads trans shop mate.....keep at it...

W00GYB00GY
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
sorry cory cant help any more ...hard to throw ideas out from the other side of the world...buddys dads trans shop mate.....keep at it...

Thanks for the help Cantab, I appreciate it, I just hope I can get this problem figured out soon because its really annoying and stressful...

I just don't know what to do at this point...

W00GYB00GY
01-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Anyone else wana chime in and help out...I'm desperate...

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Cory, I understand your desperation. But it is down to the point that you have done everything that you can without getting into the tranny. It might be as simple as the solenoids, or the transmission control unit. But rather than throwing parts at it, it needs to be diagnosed by someone that knows how to do this. If yo lived near me, you could bring it to my shop and I could probably narrow it down for you. Changing the fluid certainly didn't hurt and should have been done anyway, but some testing needs to be done.

Mudderoy
01-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Anyone else wana chime in and help out...I'm desperate...

I know when I was working on my AW4 that 2 of the 3 solenoids were the same kind. If this is the case with yours, you could swap the position of the solenoids and see if the problem moves to different gears.

I replaced my solenoids and it didn't fix my problem, which was the torque converter not locking up. Ultimately I had to have the transmission rebuilt.

W00GYB00GY
01-14-2012, 08:42 AM
I know when I was working on my AW4 that 2 of the 3 solenoids were the same kind. If this is the case with yours, you could swap the position of the solenoids and see if the problem moves to different gears.

I replaced my solenoids and it didn't fix my problem, which was the torque converter not locking up. Ultimately I had to have the transmission rebuilt.

Wonderful....how much did it cost for the trans rebuilt?

Mudderoy
01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Wonderful....how much did it cost for the trans rebuilt?

$1300 before the upgrades.

W00GYB00GY
01-14-2012, 10:38 PM
$1300 before the upgrades.

Wow that's ridiculous...I don't have that kind of money...hopefully I can solve the problem before I have to resort to that...

cantab27
01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Wow that's ridiculous...I don't have that kind of money...hopefully I can solve the problem before I have to resort to that...

get a 2nd hand one................if you have to....

W00GYB00GY
01-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I just followed this procedure and my jeep shifts perfectly fine...NO
SLIPPING!!!

"Try pulling the TCU fuse (in the power center under the hood) this
will disable the electronics in the trans. Shifting manually you can
see if everything works. position 1-2=1st gear; 3= 3rd; D= overdrive."

What does this mean? Other then its something electronic wise...

4.3LXJ
01-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Glad to hear that. I thought it was electrical. This just confirmed it. All you did was reboot the computer controlling the tranny electronics.

Lukexj
02-19-2015, 06:14 AM
sorry to bump a very old thread but im having the same problem and had it at the work shop for 4 weeks and they cant fix it. what was your fix? or has anyone else had this problem? basically it just revs out like mentioned once i get to about 65kmph and today it actually wouldn't go above 20kmph.

4.3LXJ
02-19-2015, 10:13 AM
You might try what the OP did. Pull the battery cables and touch then together and reinstall.

But tell me how long it has been since you changed your O2 sensors, tune up, how is your fuel pressure etc.

Lukexj
02-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Just did both new 02 sensors, plugs, leads rotor pin, trans service. Only thing that's broken is catalytic converter, could it just be that blocking muffler? If I cut it from the cat back would that possibly fix the problem to drive it to the exhaust shop to get the new cat? Or will this cause problems with the 02 sensors And put me in limp More?
thanks for any help, it's impossible to get help in Australia!

4.3LXJ
02-19-2015, 11:55 AM
The cat being plugged sounds like it is the problem