PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with these? Ideas?

Brasscatz
01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Today, my buddy who owns a restaurant was throwing out 2 heavy duty shelves from his storage room at his store. I snagged them with the thought that I could do some ghetto fabrication on my XJ with them. I've had the thoughts of making a roof rack, cutting it up and make a shelf in the cargo area, racks for the window, maybe even cut them more and make tail light guards... or should I just use them for shelves in my garage? lol

My wife lost my tape measure (and by wife, I mean I really don't know who lost it) so these size specs are estimates ;) I would say they are about 5.5 feet long, and roughly 2 feet wide. They are really strong and heavy, probably about 40 lbs. each at least. What ever I do with them, I will probably be painting them black :)

Thanks in advance for all the ideas!

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/thestalliontruck/Fab/IMAG0489.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/thestalliontruck/Fab/IMAG0490.jpg

Firemanray
01-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I've been looking for something exactly like that. I want to build a partition between the rear of my back seat and the cargo area. I keep so much heavy "junk" back there it could be deadly in an accident. That's my "idea" fwiw.

bluedragon436
01-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I was going to say racks for the windows, a split between the cargo area and the seating area.. or like you said build yourself a little rack in the cargo rack in the cargo area.. have been eyeing a set of similar but not nearly as long shelves at a local restraunt.. waiting for the manager to get back to me on what the plans are for them..

Brasscatz
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Nice! I never would have thought of the partition idea! They are coated too... I've never even tried anything like this, so I don't know if that fact would change anything.

Ray, You're not too far from me, if I end up not using one I'll let you know.

James, Delaware is a bit far or I'd offer the same to you!

Carves
01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Bunk bases on the roof racks for the kids ??

Sand/Mud traction ramps ??

Spare parts shelves in your shed ??

:D:D

Trimmed to length and slotted into some "c" section/profile, alloy runners mounted under the side windows or something ..... would make great parcel shelving.

Who cares what they get used for ... they were free .... ;) .. :D

Brasscatz
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
lol, I like your bunk base idea! I would have never thought of that either! Too bad the wife and I don't have kiddos yet. The parcel shelf was one of my thoughts too. Though, I have another idea for the cargo area I've been kicking around: Retractable window shade modified to be a cargo cover. Just wouldn't be able to put stuff on a window shade!