PDA

View Full Version : Engine stalls sudently, voltmeter drops like crazy, RPM drops and rise like crazy too

Majka
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm having some issues with my Jeepy. It started few months ago but I'm not sure if all issues are related to one thing or are separate things going on.
Starting from most recent - Yesterday I was driving the car when engine suddenly stopped running without any warning. It didn't want to start up right away but after few attempts it finally did. I've drove it home and now I'm afraid to ride it again :-( Same thing happened few years ago when my husband drove it just after the car wash. Hence, yesterday it also was after I took the car to wash it.
The other thing - Last week I've noticed that voltmeter drops to zero and "check gauges" lights up while driving. When I turned off the car and start it up again, everything goes back to normal. It happened about three times in last week.
And the last thing - It started few months ago. After driving the car for longer than 4 hours nonstop RPM drops very low and engine dies if I won't put some gas. Also, it happened once when I was slowing down to stop on red light it went up above 2500 RPM. IT DID FREAK ME OUT!
If any one had same issues and figure it out how to fix it, or have an idea what it might be - please help me!

Mudderoy
01-09-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm having some issues with my Jeepy. It started few months ago but I'm not sure if all issues are related to one thing or are separate things going on.
Starting from most recent - Yesterday I was driving the car when engine suddenly stopped running without any warning. It didn't want to start up right away but after few attempts it finally did. I've drove it home and now I'm afraid to ride it again :-( Same thing happened few years ago when my husband drove it just after the car wash. Hence, yesterday it also was after I took the car to wash it.
The other thing - Last week I've noticed that voltmeter drops to zero and "check gauges" lights up while driving. When I turned off the car and start it up again, everything goes back to normal. It happened about three times in last week.
And the last thing - It started few months ago. After driving the car for longer than 4 hours nonstop RPM drops very low and engine dies if I won't put some gas. Also, it happened once when I was slowing down to stop on red light it went up above 2500 RPM. IT DID FREAK ME OUT!
If any one had same issues and figure it out how to fix it, or have an idea what it might be - please help me!

Hmmm, how many miles on the odometer? Has the CPS ever been changed?

The CPS tells the computer WHERE the engine is in it's rotation, so it can tell what spark plug to fire and when. A failing CPS is a very common problem for Jeep Cherokees. They fail, or the connection becomes bad. You can see the cable running down behind the engine on the driver's side. It connects to the harness about 4 inches from the firewall and on top of the intake.

Occasionally my 1998 (usually when it is cold out) gauges RPM and speedometer will drop to zero, and the AIR BANG light will come on. I hit the top of the dash above the cluster and they start working. This is a grounding issue that is very common on the 98's and perhaps on the 99's as well.

4.3LXJ
01-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm wondering if it would be time to disconnect the battery cables and touch them together for a few seconds and put them back. This will clear the ECM of memory. It is worth a shot and doesn't cost anything.

BlueXJ
01-09-2012, 05:03 PM
X2 the ecm has the control of each symptom you listed. While you are doing that with the cables check them (especially the positive one) for cracks in the insulation. Car wash raises the possibility of a short when wet.

LizardRunner
01-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Try 4.3's suggestion is about all I can add. The only time I've had those symptoms was when I used a car wash so now I don't use high pressure any where around the hood area.

uberxj92
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Hmmm, how many miles on the odometer? Has the CPS ever been changed?

The CPS tells the computer WHERE the engine is in it's rotation, so it can tell what spark plug to fire and when. A failing CPS is a very common problem for Jeep Cherokees. They fail, or the connection becomes bad. You can see the cable running down behind the engine on the driver's side. It connects to the harness about 4 inches from the firewall and on top of the intake.

Occasionally my 1998 (usually when it is cold out) gauges RPM and speedometer will drop to zero, and the AIR BANG light will come on. I hit the top of the dash above the cluster and they start working. This is a grounding issue that is very common on the 98's and perhaps on the 99's as well.

you will probably hate me but.... 1997 up xj's are elctrical nightmares. they started getting too hi-tech & each year changed something different the previous years.
we have a 99 in our xj club & about once every year we have to chase down electrical issues.
it does sound like the pcs.

bigjim350
01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I've had those exact same symptoms with a bad cps on a 97 4.0

Sent from my VM670

default83
01-11-2012, 07:20 AM
clean your terminals, check the connections.

Mudderoy
01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
clean your terminals, check the connections.

Battery terminals, right?

Majka
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Thank you all for all the tips!
The engine has 217K and CPS haven't been changed since I own the car (3 years).
So far it didn't stall (yet) since the last Sunday "I'm going to rest a little now" episode. However, it happened about 10 times that voltmeter dropped to zero and "check gauges" lighted up, but when I turn off and on the engine, it goes back to normal. I'll try the cables reset today and let you know if there are any improvements.

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Majka, what part of the world are you from? Just interested since we have a number of members outside the U.S. It is a treat to know about other places in the world

Majka
01-11-2012, 11:57 AM
The far away I'm form is Chicago :-) However, I've grow up in Poland.

4.3LXJ
01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
The far away I'm form is Chicago :-) However, I've grow up in Poland.

Ah that explains it. That is OK. Welcome to the States. We have had several Euro members on here. It is always interesting to experience Jeep through their eyes, and the ways they use them there. I have a German ancestry, just three generations born here now. Most of them from the Berlin area.

cantab27
01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I've had those exact same symptoms with a bad cps on a 97 4.0

Sent from my VM670

thats what my moneys on.........;)

default83
01-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Battery terminals, right?

correct, my old wrangler was doing some crazy stuff when the terminals were bad, all kinds of gauges going crazy, cutting off not starting, idling all messed up.

dragordie
01-30-2012, 04:42 AM
My wifes 2000 XJ has some of the same issues. The oil pres gage reads high when running some of the times all the gages except the oil stops working abd the the dash reads NO BUS but there is no drivabuilty issues. than the other morning the only way it would start and keep running was give it some throttle. out of 12 jeeps we have owned this being the 5th XJ its a electrical turd. :cry: anybody else have the same issues? any resaloution?

Mudderoy
01-30-2012, 09:15 AM
My wifes 2000 XJ has some of the same issues. The oil pres gage reads high when running some of the times all the gages except the oil stops working abd the the dash reads NO BUS but there is no drivabuilty issues. than the other morning the only way it would start and keep running was give it some throttle. out of 12 jeeps we have owned this being the 5th XJ its a electrical turd. :cry: anybody else have the same issues? any resaloution?

My 98 has a grounding problem behind the cluster. I hit on the dash, but recently I found I can push in the middle/bottom of the cluster and everything starts working again. Mine only happens when it starts getting cold out.

LizardRunner
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Ground straping will probably fix that problem. I looked under my dash cluster and didn't see anything for a true ground, this makes me think the factory probably uses some rinky dink method to ground the cluster like perhaps a bolt or a screw that holds it to the mounting points. I had an old yota that had the same problem and that was the way they had decided to ground the dash gauges. I put in a real ground strap and viola, fixed for good!