PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Dana 30 ??

bentandtwisted
01-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I just picked up a '92 XJ as a little family project. Over the weekend my son and I were under the front trying to fix some of the "mickey mouse" stuff going on and I noticed that I have a standard U-joint on the pass. side axle and a CV on the driver side axle. I am guessing that the CV was just thrown in as a trail fix.

I guess my question is can I just put a standard u-joint axle back in or was something else changed to use the CV set up?

I have tried to do some searching but have not found anything that really related to my particular set up.

Any kind of help would be much appreciated!

4.3LXJ
01-03-2012, 06:26 PM
The CV joint was used in full time tcases, like the NP249. If you have this transfer case, then you are supposed to have it. If not, then the standard joint is what you should have. The tag is on the center of the back of the case.

Mudderoy
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
The CV joint was used in full time tcases, like the NP249. If you have this transfer case, then you are supposed to have it. If not, then the standard joint is what you should have. The tag is on the center of the back of the case.

When you say "full time" transfer cases, you mean transfer cases that ONLY have full time?

4.3LXJ
01-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Whatever options the NP249 had, that is the one. I had those joints on my 85 which had another case, but full time was the standard position, but could be locked and had low range.

bentandtwisted
01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
The transfer case is a NP231. So it is just a matter of swapping out the cv for a standard axle?

4.3LXJ
01-03-2012, 07:30 PM
The transfer case is a NP231. So it is just a matter of swapping out the cv for a standard axle?

In that case, I would recommend changing it out for the u joint type. The CV type looks as strong, but if you take it apart it is necked down considerably inside the CV joint and is not nearly as strong. Since this is a father son project, I am assuming said son is going to put it through its paces at some point and thank you for a stronger shaft.

XJ4IV
01-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I dont think Ive ever seen this setup... you gt any pics

bentandtwisted
01-03-2012, 08:28 PM

I will try and take some tomorrow and post them up.

In that case, I would recommend changing it out for the u joint type. The CV type looks as strong, but if you take it apart it is necked down considerably inside the CV joint and is not nearly as strong. Since this is a father son project, I am assuming said son is going to put it through its paces at some point and thank you for a stronger shaft.

That is what I was thinking too. I will definitely put the other axle and hopefully save both of us the headache later down the road.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

4.3LXJ
01-03-2012, 08:43 PM

I don't. That Jeep was crushed long ago

uberxj92
01-03-2012, 09:16 PM

wouldnt now be the right time to upgrade the axle shaft with the one out of the grand cherokee with anti lock brakes that has the larger u joint?

4.3LXJ
01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Might as well

bentandtwisted
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
wouldnt now be the right time to upgrade the axle shaft with the one out of the grand cherokee with anti lock brakes that has the larger u joint?

Any Grand Cherokee as long as it was equipped with anti-lock brakes or is there a particular year I should be asking for?

bigjim350
01-05-2012, 03:57 AM
When you say "full time" transfer cases, you mean transfer cases that ONLY have full time?

Yeah the NP249 has no 2wd option. And to the OP I agree that I would just swap in a regular u-joint axle. It is a good time to upgrade to the bigger u-joint axle, which is available in any 97+ XJ axle. However I wheel mine pretty hard on 33's with the stock smaller u-joints without breaking one....yet

bentandtwisted
01-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Yeah the NP249 has no 2wd option. And to the OP I agree that I would just swap in a regular u-joint axle. It is a good time to upgrade to the bigger u-joint axle, which is available in any 97+ XJ axle. However I wheel mine pretty hard on 33's with the stock smaller u-joints without breaking one....yet

As long as I am in there I guess I will go ahead and put the beefier axles just to be on the safe side.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Can't go wrong there

xj4life2
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I just picked up a '92 XJ as a little family project. Over the weekend my son and I were under the front trying to fix some of the "mickey mouse" stuff going on and I noticed that I have a standard U-joint on the pass. side axle and a CV on the driver side axle. I am guessing that the CV was just thrown in as a trail fix.

I guess my question is can I just put a standard u-joint axle back in or was something else changed to use the CV set up?

I have tried to do some searching but have not found anything that really related to my particular set up.

Any kind of help would be much appreciated!

Sorry but I have been reading this thread and mabey its just me but I find it hard to believe that no one else has put the Mickey Mouse referance and the fact he's from Anaheim together. If you live that close to the mouse house its gotta rub off somewhere :D
Anyway I agree , go to the bigger beefier axles and U joints as long as your in there, you'll be happier in the long run

bentandtwisted
01-06-2012, 09:57 PM
^^^^^^^^^ That never crossed my mind but is funny now that you bring it up!

XJ4IV
01-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Annnnndddd cue the jinx... Sorry