PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a 3.55 gear ratio?

xj9
01-02-2012, 12:22 PM
so now that i have some cash im going d35 to 8.25. My question is my current gear ratio. Marked tire to ground, and marked driveshaft. One full tire rotation equals 3.5 which would be 3.55 correct? I have 31 inch tires, does that throw my conclusion off from, say stock size tires, or would it be the same either way.
also both wheels turned forward and backward together, isnt one supposed to go the opposite... my driver side bearing is bad, not sure if that would matter.

bluedragon436
01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I would say that yes that means you have a 3.55 gear ration.. Try having someone hold the passenger side tire while you try spinning the drivers side.. if it won't really turn, then I would say you have a LSD equiped 8.25

XJ Rat
01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Another way to check for LSD...jack both wheels up. Rotate one. If the other rotates in the same direction you have a limited slip. If the other rotates in the opposite direction, it is open.

Also, get a 97+ rear end, it will have a higher spline count. More splines = stronger axles.

LizardRunner
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
there should be a tag on the differential that tells you the ratio. Check both front and rear if only one has a tag, they should be the same. The other reliable method is to count the teeth on the ring and the pinion. If you have an LSD the differental will be marked with a tag that says use additive gear oil only.

xj9
01-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah, found the tag and it wasnt rusted through... 3.55 it is. So heres the 3 8.25's they have...

'98 non-locking 119k miles..$300

'99 non-locking 98k miles, "shock mount note" $250 i assume shock mounts bad

01 non-locking 66k miles, "one stud broke" $400.. which is same yr as mine 01 with 115k.

which one? i dont weld, so i would have to pay for the shock mount to be fixed, and im not sure how hard or what not it is for a broken stud to be taken out and replaced. And most importantly would i be able to slide by with no new bearings and seals, or would i have to replace them as they've probably been sitting awhile. Brakes for sure though? Help a mechanicly inclined Newbie out. Thanks

4.3LXJ
01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
If you can weld, get the 99 If it is just the stud, you can substitute the front shock stud off any C or K series Chevy pickup

uberxj92
01-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I am sure glad we have you pull it yards here. $300 for an axle? we pay $160 to $200 with discs.
have you considered the 8.8 for an option? most have lsd factory & disc brakes. i got one from the local LKQ u pull it yard for $92 on sale & had it installed at a local 4x4 shop for $150. just a thought.
to tell you the truth , God help me , but i never thought i would ever admit this...that 8.8 swap was one of the best $250 i have spent on the xj yet

xj9
01-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Cant weld myself, and with the 8.8 i would have to have it welded up to fit the xj, and thats just more money... im sure that the 8.8 wouldnt be much cheaper, and in the end would probably run me more with my lack of tools and know how. Im just going the bolt it in route, 97+ 8.25 will be plenty strong for me and its either that, or fix the 35.. so i thought i'd just upgrade.

LizardRunner
01-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Sounds like the best idea Travis. Now you just need to make friends with a welder then when you have opportunities like this in the future, you will have help available.

Mudderoy
01-04-2012, 03:10 PM
If you can weld, get the 99 If it is just the stud, you can substitute the front shock stud off any C or K series Chevy pickup

What is a stud? I thought he was talking about the bolts that hold the wheel on...

bluedragon436
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Cant weld myself, and with the 8.8 i would have to have it welded up to fit the xj, and thats just more money... im sure that the 8.8 wouldnt be much cheaper, and in the end would probably run me more with my lack of tools and know how. Im just going the bolt it in route, 97+ 8.25 will be plenty strong for me and its either that, or fix the 35.. so i thought i'd just upgrade.

In all honesty I think the 8.25 is just as fine of a choice as the bolt in 8.25.. I am going to go and grab the rear disc stuff needed off of a ZJ in the JY, so that way I can upgrade my rear to discs.. other than that, the only other thing I would like to pick up is an LSD or a locker for the rear of my XJ.. so basically you can upgrade the 8.25 to discs for next to nothing from JY parts, and then pick up an LSD.. now you basically have the same setup the 8.8 would have afforded you, and it is completely bolt in..

4.3LXJ
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
What is a stud? I thought he was talking about the bolts that hold the wheel on...

I won't go thee with that question. Might get myself in trouble

There is an front upper shock stud on the C and K series pickups, two and four wheel drive that is removeable. If you break the shock stud mount, grind it off flush, drill a half inch hole and use this shock stud. The part can also be purchased new from Monroe or Gabriel, but I have forgotten the part number. Could figure it out though.

xj9
01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
well i picked it up this past weekend.. the 01 with 66k miles. Couple questions:
1. how much and what type oil do i put in this thing.
2. I have a sye and cv driveshaft with shims. how would i go about filling it to proper level? back it up on some ramps? and just fill till it comes out that plug in the back?
I'll be putting it in this friday any tips or words of advise are appreciated.

4.3LXJ
01-10-2012, 10:41 AM
A ramp would work