PDA

View Full Version : New project ???

steph74
01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi everybody,

when driving my daughter to her friend's house, I couldn;t help to notice the red XJ in the yard that looked abandoned ;)

It is a stock 98, standard transmission, 4x4 (NP231), looks like chrysler rear axle (just had a quick look, it has a flat bottom)....

I am not sure they are selling, but I told them I would give it a look. it is not running as for now.

They suspect sabotage and think someone poured some paint in the gas tank. Looking at it, it seem that there are traces of paint down the gas trap.

My question is would it be salvageable by just changing the tank and/or would it need the whole fuel system to be changed ?

And if indeed it was run (she said no) with the paint in gasolin? what kind of damage can this do to the engine ?

Awaiting for your expert opinions (hey I might make her an offer to get some parts... and get rid of that ugly red body)

Cheers everybody

4.3LXJ
01-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Long time no hear Steph. Glad to hear from you again.

That is a god question. If it is truly a paint situation, the least that would be needed is pulling and inspecting the tank and likely changing the sock filter and cleaning the tank. Fuel filter too. Beyond that, you would be in a trial and error situation. Does it get fuel pressure? Will it start? And how well it runs.

The engine itself would not be affected.

steph74
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes I know, it is amazing how work can get in the way sometimes ;)

So i guess I will start looking at pulling stuff and look into it before attempting to run it... then the whole trial and errors will start again.

the annoying thing is that I do understand the Renix system better lol... guess I will have to learn more ;)

4.3LXJ
01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Don't let the learning process get to you :D You are a smart guy Steph. Personally, I think the OBDII system is easier to work with and has nice code features to help you out rather than the limited code features of the Renix

LizardRunner
01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Steph, while you have the tank off, you could shoot some air through the gas line with the rail valve depressed, If you get air or old fuel squirting out the valve, the lines are clear.

steph74
01-03-2012, 12:48 PM
cool, looks like it is something I should be able to tackle I guess ;)
Thanks