PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise in 4x4

willpoot
12-27-2011, 06:37 AM
New Jeep owner here. I purchased a 1995 Jeep Country.
I am not very familiar with Jeep,s but was told you should not put it in 4x4 on dry roads, ( I know, why the heck would I want to do that?) I don't, but just testing 4x4 in the jeep. I want to know what normal is, or if there is a problem.
When I put it in 4x4 on the road, it makes a lot of noise, clucking and grinding.
When I put it in 4x4 off road, it is quieter, no clunking or grinding. But it still has some moaning sound. Sometime a low pop under strain. I had a 2000 Silverado that made no noise on road or off road. just would like to know if this is normal characteristics of the Jeep or do I have a problem. It seems to work great, other than the noise. Thanks for the help. :pray:

LizardRunner
12-27-2011, 10:38 AM
First thing I would check, the U-Joints in the front drive shaft.

4.3LXJ
12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Yup, that is the first place to start. You might want to remove it to check it. There is a CV joint in it that can get dry and go south on you. You can rebuild it or get a cheap drive shaft from the wrecking yard to replace it.

willpoot
12-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for your help both of you. I postponed my repairs until today so I will be sure and check these parts.

jeepxj95
12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
also make sure the t-case has fluid in it