PDA

View Full Version : My not so happy or merry Christmas Holiday..ugh

Jamie Lynn
12-26-2011, 11:22 PM
So on December 23..my ex boyfriend (boyfriend at the time) his mother hit the jeep..I just had the insurance guy out here this morning and it's $1200. worth of damages..which I'm thankful for that I don't have to pay for a penny of it.

I'm pretty sure the dents can be pulled out..but the very nice insurance guy put it down for a new door..I'm just wondering what I should do?...I know a few buddies that do auto body for a living and have already offered to fix the Jeep for basically nothing...my moral issue at this point is..do I allow that and take the extra money and run (ie..I feel shopping therapy might be in order) or do I go and get an estimate and just take it to the garage?..Any suggestions at this point and time?

Mudderoy
12-26-2011, 11:34 PM
So on December 23..my ex boyfriend (boyfriend at the time) his mother hit the jeep..I just had the insurance guy out here this morning and it's $1200. worth of damages..which I'm thankful for that I don't have to pay for a penny of it.

I'm pretty sure the dents can be pulled out..but the very nice insurance guy put it down for a new door..I'm just wondering what I should do?...I know a few buddies that do auto body for a living and have already offered to fix the Jeep for basically nothing...my moral issue at this point is..do I allow that and take the extra money and run (ie..I feel shopping therapy might be in order) or do I go and get an estimate and just take it to the garage?..Any suggestions at this point and time?

There isn't anything immoral about being giving "x" dollars for repairs and getting it done cheaper. At least none I know of. Get the dents pulled and put a lift kit on it.

cantab27
12-26-2011, 11:35 PM
merry xmas jamie....... this is one reason premiums are high.....lot of that down here ..do the right thing.....plus probably not the best place to discuss on a public forum........my 2cents anyways

Jamie Lynn
12-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Lmao..funny part about that is..that is what one of the guys told me i should do..lol..guess great minds think alot alike..:rolleye0012:

Jamie Lynn
12-26-2011, 11:55 PM
merry xmas jamie....... this is one reason premiums are high.....lot of that down here ..do the right thing.....plus probably not the best place to discuss on a public forum........my 2cents anyways

Agreed this is why the premiums are so high. I asked their insurance company if I had to take it to the garage to get fixed..they told me that was my choice in the matter..but if the damages ended up going above what they wrote the check for I would have to pay out of pocket...the check was just their estimate of what they valued it out at.

BlueXJ
12-27-2011, 12:24 AM
The Ins co will only give you xx dollars and if you have connections to get it fixed for less then do it because that same Ins co is going to pay xx to another person who needs more to get his fixed so it evens out. Be thankful that you have those connections and that they like you enough to fix your Jeep for their costs.

bluedragon436
12-27-2011, 12:47 AM
The Ins co will only give you xx dollars and if you have connections to get it fixed for less then do it because that same Ins co is going to pay xx to another person who needs more to get his fixed so it evens out. Be thankful that you have those connections and that they like you enough to fix your Jeep for their costs.

I agree with him.. We had someone rear end out car while I was stationed in Germany... and the insurance company said it appeared to be $2k worth of damage, the body shop told them it would be less, but the insurance company still wrote a check for $2k. It only took $1.5k to fix the damage that was done to the car, so I contacted the insurance company and told them how much it was and what to do with the remaining money... They told me to put it towards payment on the car, or whatever I wanted to do with it. So it went to purchasing more parts for the car that we had been wanting.

Joliet Johnny
12-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Use some of the extra money to buy the guys fixing your XJ lunch. It might not seem like much but it will be very appreciated.

Firemanray
12-27-2011, 08:59 AM
If the insurance pays fair market value to have it repaired you can "shop" the repairs around any where you want to. If you get it done cheaper the balance of the money is yours. Most of the time you end up in the red so feel good if you can bank a little money for your time and trouble.
In Texas you are allowed by law to choose who or where fixes your vehical. Insurance companies are not allowed to dictate where you get your vehical fixed.
I had a punk hit the front fender on my Dodge truck, put a crease down the fender, insurance paid, I pocketed the money since my truck was paid for and had no lien holder, it was up to me if I even wanted to fix it or not. If you have a lien holder you are obligated to keep the vehical in good sellable condition, in that case I would have it fixed correctly.

LizardRunner
12-27-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm of the Get the money, have your budds do the fixing and treat them right and pocket what's left school of thought. Insurance companies are going to remain the same no matter what you do so take the best for your pocket book point of view. The extra can be put towards other items for the jeep or just for you. Take the No remorse POV and you will come out better in the end.

XJ Rat
12-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Jamie;
Take the check and say 'thank you'. Insurance companies do not understand if you try to do the right thing. Case in point, a few years ago I was rear ended in my TJ. I told the other guys insurance company to buy me a new bumper, I will put it on and we will be even. NOOOOO, they sent out an adjuster, he looked at my TJ, used all factory parts for his adjustment, and cut me a check for $650.00. I only wanted a new bumper (I believe back then it was $175.). Even told them where to buy it and how much it was. Bottom line, I took their check and put it in the bank. Could not even tell the original bumper was hit.

Yes, I agree, we pay too high insurance rates. The insurance companies do not help the problem at all.

cherokeejim47
12-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Jamie: Seems to me that what you need to do is have the good friend that knows how fix it for you. Pay him what he asks and then take that shopping trip you feel coming on.
The Ex Boyfriend is a good idea man wrecks your ride you don't need him.

4.3LXJ
12-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Jamie

If they are paying you directly for the damage, then do what is best for you. Where I used to live, my wife bagged more deer with her car than hunters with guns. They paid the company directly so we always broke even.

But on another note, you say "ex" boyfriend. You finally get rid of that guy that was hitting you?

Jamie Lynn
12-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Use some of the extra money to buy the guys fixing your XJ lunch. It might not seem like much but it will be very appreciated.

Shoot..are you kidding me?..they don't want me to order them food..they want me to make them food..which is fine with me..I love having the guys around and cooking for them..plus my dad likes to catch up with them..lol.

Jamie Lynn
12-27-2011, 10:15 PM
If the insurance pays fair market value to have it repaired you can "shop" the repairs around any where you want to. If you get it done cheaper the balance of the money is yours. Most of the time you end up in the red so feel good if you can bank a little money for your time and trouble.
In Texas you are allowed by law to choose who or where fixes your vehical. Insurance companies are not allowed to dictate where you get your vehical fixed.
I had a punk hit the front fender on my Dodge truck, put a crease down the fender, insurance paid, I pocketed the money since my truck was paid for and had no lien holder, it was up to me if I even wanted to fix it or not. If you have a lien holder you are obligated to keep the vehical in good sellable condition, in that case I would have it fixed correctly.

Lucky for me..the Jeep is mine and I have no lien or anything..I'm just thankful I have such good friends..so what if it "cost" me to make them dinner and to go out on a date or two?...big whoop..I have to say..I love my guy friends..they are always there for me when I need them the most.

Jamie Lynn
12-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm of the Get the money, have your budds do the fixing and treat them right and pocket what's left school of thought. Insurance companies are going to remain the same no matter what you do so take the best for your pocket book point of view. The extra can be put towards other items for the jeep or just for you. Take the No remorse POV and you will come out better in the end.

I know..but honestly..I feel like a horrible person for even asking her to call the insurance company but when her son did what he did..I mean seriously..if he can't keep his word to be faithful..how in the world is he gonna keep his word to fix the Jeep?...I maybe blonde, have a heart of gold, wear my heart on my sleeve and I'm a good person..but I also know when to cover my :ass: and make it so that I'm not getting screwed in the end of it.

Jamie Lynn
12-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Jamie: Seems to me that what you need to do is have the good friend that knows how fix it for you. Pay him what he asks and then take that shopping trip you feel coming on.
The Ex Boyfriend is a good idea man wrecks your ride you don't need him.

I agree..the best part that put my happy butt on a war path is when he told me about it several hours after and I asked if he looked at it..his response "I'm not worried about it, its the Jeep"...It took everything I had not to punch him in the mouth..I swear I was praying so hard when he said that to have the strength to not knock him into next week. I went out, looked at it...and when I came back into the house..he was hiding from me like a puppy...grr...and as everyone who has seen the Jeep says by the way it looks "his mother did it accidently on purpose."

Jamie Lynn
12-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Jamie

If they are paying you directly for the damage, then do what is best for you. Where I used to live, my wife bagged more deer with her car than hunters with guns. They paid the company directly so we always broke even.

But on another note, you say "ex" boyfriend. You finally get rid of that guy that was hitting you?

Yes hun..it was a vicious cycle for the past 4 years..but after this incident..I just couldn't do it anymore..something inside me broke. I think it took this to understand that despite the fact that I still have feelings for him..I'm better off without. ( what can I say, I'm an optimist) Things got pretty bad with him cheating and doing his dirt...that is what topped the cake the day the Jeep got hit by his mother..I caught him..asked him why? his response was " Idk" asked him if he was gonna at least apologize his response " I'm not going to tell you sorry for something I'm not sorry for." ..So after I picked myself up off the floor and took what little bit of dignity, self respect, courage and heart I had..I left. At least I can honestly say..that for once in 4 years he didn't lie to me..hurt like hell but at least he told me the truth and I can respect someone for that..no matter how painful it is.

4.3LXJ
12-28-2011, 02:01 AM
You will be better off without him. Find someone who will respect you. It will be a refreshing change.