PDA

View Full Version : 50 mph shimmy

JeepinMT
12-24-2011, 01:05 AM
So I recently purchased a 2001 Sport, have had it about 3 months. When I hit about 52 I get mad steering wheel vibration, it stops when I hit 55. I have had the alignment and balance checked and was told both were perfect. It happens during acceleration and deceleration and only in that speed interval. What is going on!!! Any advice/suggestions of what to look for would be much appreciated. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

bigjim350
12-24-2011, 01:10 AM
id check all the tie rod ends and track bar for any play. although mine has a 45mph shimmy and everything on mine has been replaced.

JeepinMT
12-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Will do, thanks for the advice

4.3LXJ
12-24-2011, 10:49 AM
The mad shimmy is probably what we call "Death Wobble". It is a common problem with the type of suspension and steering design we have. I don't see your rig info listed (hint, hint, you can take care of that in the User CP). It happens particularly with lifted rigs. The most common reason is a worn track bar bushing on the axel housing.

JeepinMT
12-24-2011, 10:57 AM
I'll put as much info about the Jeep as I can. It is bone stock, not sure what the front and rear ends are. I haven't gone under to see and really don't know much about it....yet

cantab27
12-24-2011, 11:02 AM
front wheel bearing going bad will give a shimming at certain speeds ...well did on mine....can check by jacking your jeep up ,,grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 and see if there is any movement..is it more a shimming or a vibration....

JeepinMT
12-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I guess vibration would better describe it, is steering wheel is where I feel it the most.

cantab27
12-24-2011, 11:11 AM
get under Aaron while someone turns the steering wheel,, only have to move the wheel side to side abit....see if you can see anything loose or moving that shouldn't be....also check front drive shaft for any play...

jeepkid03
12-25-2011, 09:22 PM
My buddy's 2000 XJ had the exact same issue. We checked all the suspension parts 10 times and everything was tight. Went to several shops and all said it checked out good. One shop told us it was the steering box, and we almost bought one, since like you described the vibration was most noticeable in the steering wheel. Just for kicks I threw my 30" BFG A/Ts which had just been balanced a month before on the front of his XJ. Vibrations were gone and it rode perfectly smooth. Sounds like you either have a tire balance issue or cupped tires. 99% of the time a shimmy that is speed dependent is a tire balance problem. If it was death wobble, the issue wouldn't go away when you increase the speed.

JeepinMT
12-25-2011, 10:47 PM
I'll have them balanced again. I thought when I had the alignment checked they also checked the balance but I'll give it a go. It's also time to put my studs on. We'll see if it still happens, then I'll know if it is the wheels or something else. Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated as I am so new to the XJ world.

jeepkid03
12-26-2011, 01:09 AM
I'll have them balanced again. I thought when I had the alignment checked they also checked the balance but I'll give it a go. It's also time to put my studs on. We'll see if it still happens, then I'll know if it is the wheels or something else. Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated as I am so new to the XJ world.

What condition are your tires in? Sometimes if the tires are cupped, then balancing them won't fix the issue.

seu83
12-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like a broken belt or a defect in one of the fronts. I know you said you had the tires checked but maybe switch your front and backs just to be sure.

dagr8tim
12-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Looks like everything has been covered. Let me just say if you have to start replacing steering components. It's roughly the same price to go with a V8 ZJ steering setup.

hookedonxjs
12-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Check this out: http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-fix-your-own-death-wobble/

OrangeXJ
12-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Check your u joints too

uberxj92
12-28-2011, 10:39 PM

maybe i am mistaken but i believe that the dana 30 we use cant be aligned. well i guess you could shim it & make it unsafe.
i agree with the trac bar issue. i go thru 2 trac bar bushings a year the way i wheel my DD.
the tires also will cause vibrashimmies too even if they are balanced. you may not notice tread issues.
LOL you arent driving on the jeep suspension test track at 52mph are you? LOL just kiddin.

Cornstalks
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
My wobble was around 42 MPH. New tie rod ends and steering stabilizer yesterday. Seems much better, but speed limit between work and house is only 35 MPH, gonna get her up to speed today and see what happens, but I'm pretty sure that fixed it.

dagr8tim
02-08-2012, 03:49 PM
My wobble was around 42 MPH. New tie rod ends and steering stabilizer yesterday. Seems much better, but speed limit between work and house is only 35 MPH, gonna get her up to speed today and see what happens, but I'm pretty sure that fixed it.

I'm assuming you've checked your air pressure and balanced/rotated your tires?

cpttuna
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I had the same type problem. Had the rotors turned. the problem went away.