PDA

View Full Version : ECU reset, how???

cantab27
12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
tis a dumb question , well on any other forum it would be...is just a matter of discounting the battery ??....wait 2 mins and reconnect ??....just read somewhere that once battery is discontent , grab the negative lead and touch the positive terminal.......???????????????

Mudderoy
12-22-2011, 10:29 AM
tis a dumb question , well on any other forum it would be...is just a matter of discounting the battery ??....wait 2 mins and reconnect ??....just read somewhere that once battery is discontent , grab the negative lead and touch the positive terminal.......???????????????

Remove the positive lead from the battery. Touch it and hold it to ground for 30 seconds. This discharges any capacitors that are holding a charge in the ECU.

Remember, disconnect the POSITIVE from the battery and then ground it on something metal, not the negative post of the battery.

cantab27
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
cheers tony.........

OrangeXJ
12-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I have also seen in posts to do the negitive side also. Don't know why. I think I saw this on CF

Mudderoy
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
When I read the negative battery cable, above, I got worried that I was remembering it incorrectly.... So I did a quick search.

:link: (http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-89.htm)

When installing new power or performance accessories how does the computer for the Jeep know that it has a new accessory? Most of the time the computer does not. The computer would need to be reset to take full potential of the performance accessories you have added.

The Electronic Control Module, or ECU as its commonly called, stores the information for your vehicle and your driving habits in its memory. The memory is maintaned by a series of capacitors that hold a charge and maintain power for the ECU when the vehicle is turned off. The following procedure will allow you to reset the memory and allow the computer to 're-learn' how to drive by adjusting to the drivers habits and the vehicles modifications.

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

The ECU has now been reset to its factory settings. For the next 50 warm-up periods the ECU will re-learn the engine and driving habits for your driving conditions and the newly installed parts.