PDA

View Full Version : Ring n pinion which gear is right and the one thats reverse cut?

JEEPSTER4EVER
12-17-2011, 04:48 PM
As in my last post on (laws on (as is)) I stated some problems I've had with a new to me 2000 jeep xj, my next thing is, I just pulled the ring n pinion out of a spare 89 jeep xj front end, and I pulled the ring n pinion out of the 2000 jeep xj that stripped n came apart 5 days after buying it. In the pics you can see the gears from the 2000 on the left and the gears from the 89 spare are on the right side. The gears don't match as different directions. I think the gears that were in the 2000 xj were pulled from a rearend and installed in the front end for why they didn't last. Can anyone tell me if i'm right, and the spare gears from the 89 are the right way.? befor I install them.
i can't show the pics on here but the gears from the 2000 xj are going clock wise, and the gears from the 89 are counter clockwise
Thank you,

bigjim350
12-17-2011, 05:52 PM
The 84-99 xj uses a high pinion d30 in the front which is a reverse rotation. In 2000 they started using a low pinion d30 which has a standard rotation. So the gears from the 89 wont work in your housing. You will either need 00+ gears or swap in a high pinion d30, which is what I would do

Sent from my VM670

XJ4IV
12-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Yup... what jim said!

LizardRunner
12-17-2011, 10:17 PM
jim said it all

Firemanray
12-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Yup^^^^^^^^^^

JEEPSTER4EVER
12-18-2011, 01:43 AM
SH-T, SH-T Thanks for that, I was just gonna install the other gears first thing in the morning. Then what could have caused the front end to go out like that, the only thing I was able to see was the brakes on the driverside went out, and the t-case fill plug was missing and atleast a quart was missing but it ran good with no problems til the brake pads worn off and it was digging into the disc a little. The 4x4 light was off telling me it was in 2wheel drive. what am I missing??? I live in 4x4 country, when the snow melts or when it rains, our driveway alone is too much for most 2wheeldrive.

Mudderoy
12-18-2011, 07:49 AM
SH-T, SH-T Thanks for that, I was just gonna install the other gears first thing in the morning. Then what could have caused the front end to go out like that, the only thing I was able to see was the brakes on the driverside went out, and the t-case fill plug was missing and atleast a quart was missing but it ran good with no problems til the brake pads worn off and it was digging into the disc a little. The 4x4 light was off telling me it was in 2wheel drive. what am I missing??? I live in 4x4 country, when the snow melts or when it rains, our driveway alone is too much for most 2wheeldrive.

Personally, I would just go find me a HP D30 and swap it. You wind up with front axle that will give you less issues in the long run and you don't have to setup the gears. I guess it depends on the part of the country you are in but I'd say you could get a HP D30 for $130 to $200, about the cost of a new set of gears (1 set only). A used NP231 is under $200 as well, I believe.

bluedragon436
12-18-2011, 07:59 AM
I would think out your way you should be able to find a HP30, and another 231J to pick up either on CL or a PNP for a pretty cheap price.. I know even here where everything is way too expensive... it isn't too much to pick up a HP30 and a 231J from the PNP.. I would def. do that over rebuilding what you already have... plus it will be a better axle to start with if you do need to replace seals and all..

4.3LXJ
12-18-2011, 09:55 AM
SH-T, SH-T Thanks for that, I was just gonna install the other gears first thing in the morning. Then what could have caused the front end to go out like that, the only thing I was able to see was the brakes on the driverside went out,

I would like to make a suggestion about what happened here, at least some of it. You had both front and rear differential problems. So here is a question: Did someone who did not know how to install gears make a gear swap? It is looking that way to me from the evidence provided. And if you have never installed gears before and don't have the tools and knowledge to do it, the same would happen to you. It is more difficult to swap in used gears correctly than new ones. I think the idea of swapping in used differentials would make more sense time wise and cost in the end would be less for you.