PDA

View Full Version : Courtesy lights not working with hatch open.

countreeboy_23
12-17-2011, 12:00 PM
I have an 01 cherokee and my courtesy lights lights will not come with just the hatch open, but they both work with one of the doors opened. I have pushed up on the rear light by the hatch trying to get it to work, and it clicks every time but it will not come on with the only the hatch open. I was just wondering if I should start looking for a wiring problem, and if so what wire/s to start with?!

BlueXJ
12-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Check the switch first.

dagr8tim
12-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Check the switch first.

I think the switch is an internal hall switch. This is fairly common on XJ's. Also another issue is the wires where it goes from the hatch to the body break. Lastly on older XJ's, the switch on the dome light melts/breaks and is either stuck on all the time or stuck off.

Firemanray
12-17-2011, 03:24 PM
OH...... the light is supposed to come on when the back hatch is open!?!, go figure.:D
Mine never has and I havn't given much thought to it 'till now. I'll have to follow this and check into that.

dagr8tim
12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
OH...... the light is supposed to come on when the back hatch is open!?!, go figure.:D
Mine never has and I havn't given much thought to it 'till now. I'll have to follow this and check into that.

Don't get in a hurry. Mine's not worked in nearly 3 years and I'm still tinkering with it off and on.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
12-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I had the same problem.
All I did was splice the two wires at the switch together and it worked

XJ4IV
12-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Or you could do what I did... LOL
forget the one thats lit up but look at the ones on either side attached to the headliner trim... 2 55 watt lights bought from tractor supply for 12 bucks then I wired a switch down to the lower rear quarter for easy on and off access
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/2010-10-06015903.jpg
I just searched all three of my photobucket accounts and cannot find the ones I took when I installed em but Ive since removed to replace a pair that took a hit from a tree on my bumper but the brackets and wiring are still there for me!

dagr8tim
12-17-2011, 09:15 PM
I know on my 97, the light is always hot. I've considered just adding a toggle switch to the light.

countreeboy_23
12-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Or you could do what I did... LOL
forget the one thats lit up but look at the ones on either side attached to the headliner trim... 2 55 watt lights bought from tractor supply for 12 bucks then I wired a switch down to the lower rear quarter for easy on and off access

That is a really great idea! Thanks to everyone who has replied back so far. You have been helpful in trying to figure out the problem.

xj98
12-22-2011, 08:19 AM
I dont have a dome light in the cargo area.:confused: and I only have switches in the front doors for the doom light. so I picked up a nice big bright aftermarket dome light for the cargo area just got to install it and wire it up. but that is going to be a spring project when it is warmer out.

countreeboy_23
12-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I dont have a dome light in the cargo area.:confused: and I only have switches in the front doors for the doom light. so I picked up a nice big bright aftermarket dome light for the cargo area just got to install it and wire it up. but that is going to be a spring project when it is warmer out.
I wonder why your jeep didn't come with a cargo light? I thought all cherokees had a cargo light, but only the 97-01 models could you control it being on and off. Hmmm weird!:hmmmm2:

dagr8tim
12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
I wonder why your jeep didn't come with a cargo light? I thought all cherokees had a cargo light, but only the 97-01 models could you control it being on and off. Hmmm weird!:hmmmm2:

My 97 has the same style as 96's. I don't know if they changed it in 98, or if the SE's got the cheaper setup. My 98 Sport had a really nifty setup that I almost considered grafting on to the 97.

countreeboy_23
12-22-2011, 09:40 PM
My 97 has the same style as 96's. I don't know if they changed it in 98, or if the SE's got the cheaper setup. My 98 Sport had a really nifty setup that I almost considered grafting on to the 97.
Learn something new everyday.

jeepkid03
12-23-2011, 11:22 AM

I'm pretty sure some '97s came with the '96 style light. I've seen a few different '97 models that had them. It was probably done to "use up" the old style lights. Kind of like the Freedom edition cherokee used up a lot of left over parts.

dagr8tim
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure some '97s came with the '96 style light. I've seen a few different '97 models that had them. It was probably done to "use up" the old style lights. Kind of like the Freedom edition cherokee used up a lot of left over parts.

That's what I'm wondering. Was it early 97's, all 97's, or the low end models like the SE.

4.3LXJ
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM

I have an 86 Laredo. I can control the rear light.

xj98
12-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Mine cherokee is a pretty basic setup no power windows or locks. speakes only in the front doors. stereo is am/fm only no tape deck or cd player. so maybe it need a extra package to get a rear dome light and the other bells and whistles? Idk but ill make it work.

jeepxj95
12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
i need a cargo light assembally for my 95. its been awhile since i looked at the one on my 90. that and i stole the light bulb out of it for the front light for the 95