PDA

View Full Version : YJ Spare tire bracket in XJ?

prerunner1982
12-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Has anyone mounted a YJ Spare tire bracket in the stock spare location inside the XJ? I don't have the parts for the stock XJ spare mount, but I think the YJ bracket would be more sturdy. Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work?

http://images.craigslist.org/5V05W25S03mc3F73lcbcg9705fc694ad81e85.jpg

xj4life2
12-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Haven't done that but I think its a good idea, I did use that mount on my interior rack I made, but It should work in the stock location , might have to move it up some for larger tires. Give it a shot and you'll be the first !!!!!

4.3LXJ
12-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Get the right bolt holes in the bracket and it will work well I think

Carves
12-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Nope ... Coz Im going to use my two TJ ones on an external swing away carrier ...

Should work well inside ... once you sort out mount points. :cool:

bluedragon436
12-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I think something you might run into.. is having the metal backing to bolt that mount to under the plastic trim.. not sure that there is something to bolt it too.. might have to drill new holes in the mount to line up to available metal on the XJ..

dagr8tim
12-16-2011, 05:15 PM
YJ & TJ brackets are the same. I've got a TJ Bracket in the garage I'm going to use for the offroad trailer. I wouldn't trust the stock bracket with anything larger than a 31 or 32. Guys with 33's complain that the tire is too heavy and puts too much stress on their tailgates.

To the OP, I have a spare set of XJ spare mounting hardware (everything except the floor bracket) I would part with. I may even have the bracket if I look around.

prerunner1982
12-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I only have the mounting tab that sticks through the side panel. I could come up with something for the floor bracket and a J bolt and large washers to go from the tab through the wheel.

Also I have no problem drilling through the side panel into the metal if I could get behind the metal to bolt it up.

I just like the idea of bolting the tire to a sturdy bracket than 1 bolt trying to hold it against the side of the Jeep.

As far as tire side you can barely fit a 30" tire in the stock location, though I have seen people claim that a 31 will fit, so the problem with the bracket not being able to hold a 33 very well is out of the question as it wouldn't fit in that location anyways.

If I had a welder I would just make something, hopefully I can come across a YJ/TJ bracket for cheap.

dagr8tim
12-17-2011, 09:36 AM
I only have the mounting tab that sticks through the side panel. I could come up with something for the floor bracket and a J bolt and large washers to go from the tab through the wheel.

Also I have no problem drilling through the side panel into the metal if I could get behind the metal to bolt it up.

I just like the idea of bolting the tire to a sturdy bracket than 1 bolt trying to hold it against the side of the Jeep.

As far as tire side you can barely fit a 30" tire in the stock location, though I have seen people claim that a 31 will fit, so the problem with the bracket not being able to hold a 33 very well is out of the question as it wouldn't fit in that location anyways.

If I had a welder I would just make something, hopefully I can come across a YJ/TJ bracket for cheap.

Maybe I misunderstood you. Are you talking about mounting it inside or outside the Jeep? If it were me, and I actually considered this. I thought about mounting a plate inside the rear hatch and mounting my TJ bracket to the rear hatch sort of how the first gen liberties were.

4.3LXJ
12-17-2011, 10:33 AM
What you both need is a Detours Knucklebone

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Build%20Stuff/IMG_1495.jpg

dagr8tim
12-17-2011, 10:38 AM
What you both need is a Detours Knucklebone

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Build%20Stuff/IMG_1495.jpg

*drool*

prerunner1982
12-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Maybe I misunderstood you. Are you talking about mounting it inside or outside the Jeep? If it were me, and I actually considered this. I thought about mounting a plate inside the rear hatch and mounting my TJ bracket to the rear hatch sort of how the first gen liberties were.

I am talking about mounting it in the stock XJ location. Upright in the driver's rear corner of the cargo area. I don't want to mount it to the hatch... too much weight for the stock hatch struts.