PDA

View Full Version : Buying vehicle laws on (as is)

JEEPSTER4EVER
12-15-2011, 02:37 PM
On the 7th of Dec. I bought a 2000 jeep xj, with the (as is) about 5 days and 100 miles later the front brakes went out on my way to my doc. app. on driveing it home afterwords the pumpkin started smokeing really bad, I pulled over about 5 miles from home. The bearings in the pumpkin melted, brakes wear fryed, the next day while I was under the jeep I looked at the t-case. The fill plug on the t-case was missing, most the fluids drained out. The back hatch wont open anymore eather, all this happened on the same day. They sold me this jeep in this condition their so called mechanics seemed to have missed all this and forgot to put the plug back in the t-case. I did buy it (as is) but ain't their a law or something here that can help me on this. Please if any can or knows anyone thats dealed in this area that might know something. please let me know asap. I live in colorado and with there laws.
Thank you.

LizardRunner
12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
You will need to check your states Lemon Law, if they have one in place. Usually it is good for 3-5 days. Also see if the state has a buyer remorse law or statuete.

Firemanray
12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Did you buy from a dealer or individual? Either way "as is" doesn't give you much recourse. Honesty is not a common trait among used car salesmen, and, even if they were not trying to deceive you I've found that most "used car lot" mechanics around here barely know how to change oil and filter much less know what to look for on a pre-sale inspection. Check your local laws regarding the sellers responsibility and go from there. Good luck with it!

Joliet Johnny
12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I bought mine last year on December 29th and it was great for about 2 weeks then I had alot of problems too. In IL as-is means just that I was told. The dealership offered to fix my water pump/radiator but with a car rental and what they wanted to charge I did it myself. I had the same problem with the rear hatch too. The rod that operated the latch has most likely slipped a few teeth and I can post a pic if you need one. Almost 1 year later and the only bugs I have yet to fix are cruise control is inop, power lock lock but dont unlock, and all windows work but only from drivers switch. Ironically I went there to look at a 94 Wrangler with half the mileage as the XJ I bought and 2 weeks later they got one in that was already lifted and modified how I wanted to do mine.

xj4life2
12-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Sadly , AS IS is really that, there is no warranty or even an implied warranty.It simply means that you accept the vehicle as it sits and will handle all repairs that come up. Thus the old saying "buyer beware" I strongly suggest that anyone thinking of purchasing a veh of any type, take it to a shop and have a pre purchase inspection done . Yes it costs money but can also save you alot. As Ray said car salesmen are a unscrupulous group of people who use "as is" as an insurance for them to sell crap and get away with it.Your only real recourse is to contact the B.B.B. or a local TV news station and air your complaint. GOOD LUCK !!!

bigjim350
12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
As is pretty much means as is. However if ya bought it from a dealer they may be persueded to help ya out. If not, the online community here can make it quite difficult for them to sale another car.

Firemanray
12-15-2011, 10:54 PM
...... the online community here can make it quite difficult for them to sale another car.

I just love the internet!!:D

JEEPSTER4EVER
12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Thank you for all the info, I'm deffently gonna get em them to think twice befor they sell another junk to an innocent family, for sure. I just pulled the ring n pinion out of the new jeep, and the ring n pinion from an 89 xj front end to swap em out, the gears are the same except one problem, the ring n pinion on the new jeep were backwards gears, I think who ever had this jeep last put in a set of gears from a rearend.

bigjim350
12-17-2011, 04:43 PM
The gears from a 99 and older are different from yours. They are reverse cut

Sent from my VM670

Joliet Johnny
12-17-2011, 08:58 PM
The gears from a 99 and older are different from yours. They are reverse cut

Sent from my VM670

So how would one make this work? Would changing the whole axle work? I have a 99 so this seems like something I need to add to the notepad file I keep for quick reference.