PDA

View Full Version : Where to put your phone/mp3 player?

Joliet Johnny
12-12-2011, 08:08 AM
I know quite a few XJs left the assembly line without cupholders which is the obvious place to keep a cellphone/mp3 player. I have a 99 so I have 2, but last weekend I needed to use them for cups and had to rest my iphone on my knee. I eventually got tired of that and just listened to road noise and tried to come up with a better mounting place that wasnt a silly suction cup on my windshield. What does everyone do for this?

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Mine being an older xj i usually just stick my ipod in either the cubby below the ashtray or the e-brake area. But i have thought of molding in a dock for it in the change holder (seems the right size).

bluedragon436
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
My Ipod(s) stay in the glove box with the cord running out and to the headunit... my phone either stays in one of the 2 cup holders, or the E-brake cutout next to my wallet.. I have been considering pulling the ash tray and figuring out something there, since all it gets used for right now is a change holder..

4.3LXJ
12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
I have used ash trays for phones before since I don't smoke.

Firemanray
12-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I prefer to listen to my engine and not be bothered. Makes my solution easy. Doesn't help you much.
Really though i keep my phone in the pouch on my belt in case i have to call for help. I don't know where you could find one now but years ago i had a device on a flexible pole ( like microphone), with a tray you set your phone in and it clamped the sides to hold it. Gave you many mounting choices.

prerunner1982
12-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I typically put my phone on the right side of the gauge cluster. It covers up the oil pressure gauge and the voltmeter but it is easy to lift up and check. I don't use it for music, but it keeps more in my line of sight so in case anyone calls. I can't always hear it ring over the radio and engine, but I can see it light up.

saar
12-13-2011, 01:51 AM
I usually put my phone in the cup holder...
(mp is being connected to the lighter...)

Saar.

cantab27
12-13-2011, 02:04 AM
just dont use what the yota drivers use...

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/tumblr_l7dofrZh7H1qat6zzo1_500.jpg

LizardRunner
12-13-2011, 08:11 AM
mine goes in the console.