PDA

View Full Version : Looking at an XJ with 4" lift

denverd1
12-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Hey guys, I'm new around here so go easy on me and my stupid questions...

Got a local XJ thats got a 4" rubicon express lift on it. Drove it yesterday and it vibes pretty bad on acceleration. I doubt the lift was done correctly.. so I could lower the t-case or reposition some things that would likely correct it.

OR is this a transmission thats on its last leg? 207K miles on it. supposedly rebuilt at 150K (both engine and trans). engine fires right up on cold start.

Am I just buying a headache?

'98 XJ. 4" lift. 207K miles. $2500. any thoughts on price are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!!
denverd1

bluedragon436
12-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Try and throw up some pics of the XJ, that will help some as far as making decision on price wise.. but either way I would say pick it up if you got the money too... I would say try and drop the TC with a TC drop which can be had fairly cheap.. also maybe check and make sure the tires are balanced... but I am honestly thinking try the TC drop, or check the rear axle pinion angle.... the TC drop will help with that angle some.. I would say jump on the deal, and pick up a TC drop.. and see what that does for your vibes.. cause that is what it seems like it most likely would be..

cantab27
12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
vibe could be many things, front drive shaft ???? where in tx are ya...heaps of members on here from there....if ya lucky one may be close and have a lookee for ya....like james said pics be cool

Firemanray
12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
My 98 had an acceleration vibe when I bought it. Front drive shaft slip joint was shot. Used it as a tool to lower the purchase price.:D

denverd1
12-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Yea, i'm thinking price will come down a bit. Ive got a few more I'll post when they hit my inbox.
http://flic.kr/p/aRxuAx

denverd1
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm in East Texas. Tyler to be specific.
Few more pics.

IMAG0278 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0277 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0276 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0275 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

denverd1
12-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks Fireman. Anything I should look for when I crawl under it? front side of t-case loose?

may pop
12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Nice looking rig. The lack of rear bumper and flares might attract the cops. It would around here. 2500 is a GOOD price if the front end,bjs hubs ujoints tracbar tierod ends are in good condition. These are expensive fast. Just a dad talking. Have a shop check it out for you. A few bucks well spent. The vibration cuold just be ujoints so dont ignore it.
Good Luck
Ron {a dad}

Firemanray
12-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Ok, before the greenies get here and trash talk the RED Xj :D , let me say, coolies,:thumbsup: Red Xj, and it looks like it has quality upgrades to build off of. It has a cool front bumper w/ good lights, nice wheels, decent tires, the lift looks like it has LCA drop brackets as well as upgraded LCA's. Now the pictures don't say what the rest of the mechanicals are so I'm afraid I can't help you there. Here is a thread that may have some good information in it:
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9114
Just ignore all the negative stuff about red Xj's :D:rotfl2:

I just realized I haven't addressed you question. Grab the front drive shaft and try to move it up and down, if the slip joint is bad it will "flex" at the slip joint. Also look for up and down movement in the yoke at the front axle. Another thing that has caused vibes for me is bad u-joints at the axle ends as well as in the drive shafts.

Firemanray
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Nice looking rig. The lack of rear bumper and flares might attract the cops. It would around here. 2500 is a GOOD price if the front end,bjs hubs ujoints tracbar tierod ends are in good condition. These are expensive fast. Just a dad talking. Have a shop check it out for you. A few bucks well spent. The vibration cuold just be ujoints so dont ignore it.
Good Luck
Ron {a dad}

True all that. However in Texas we don't have any tire coverage laws. Let'em hang out!!

cantab27
12-06-2011, 06:58 PM
not leaving a calling mark on the ground in this pic.....

IMAG0278 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

shame about the colour ......

XJ4IV
12-06-2011, 07:24 PM
a vibration is a very simple and usually cheap repair... usually just an alignment issue
I say go for it, it looks great and 207k is reasonable... and you can come wheel it with me!!! YAY

xj4life2
12-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Probably a driveline issue , I say go for it , fix it and enjoy it . I don't think tranny is an issue here.

XJ4IV
12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
WAIT A MINUTE... I think I know one of the previous owners of that jeep... TEXJ had one that looks like this however last I saw it it was on 3 inches of lift and factory front bumper
but same color and same fender damage same black grill... lol Check with Texj on here it may be one of his!
if it is Id buy it up real fast!

BlueXJ
12-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Unless I missed it in your description it may need a SYE to cure the vibes. Any year past 91 will usually need one over 3" of lift. The Renix years were much more forgiving.

denverd1
12-07-2011, 01:18 PM
hey guys, thanks for the updates. Headed to pick it up today!

denverd1
12-07-2011, 03:29 PM
it's mine! more pics later... gotta get some work done!

bluedragon436
12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Congrats on the new purchase!! And welcome to the addiction that is Jeep!!

denverd1
12-08-2011, 06:43 PM
got her home yesterday and crawled under it to check things out today. the front shaft coming out of the transfer case is REALLY loose. Like I'm not putting it in 4wheel until I get it fixed kinda loose. LOTS of play in it, in addition to the front u-joints at the hubs being loose.

just curious if that could be the culprit of my vibes.

Also, he had an SYE laying around that he threw in it so I'll look at putting that on next.

just want to identify all I need to do while im under there.

got a few pics of the pinion angle and a few other things that I'll put up in a few.

Firemanray
12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
SYE, thrown in , wow that's like extra icing. Yes, your front shaft and joints can cause vibes. Pop the front shaft out and go for a spin, should tell you a few things.

denverd1
12-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Well I popped the front shaft off and it doesn't chatter my teeth out now!! Still got slight vibes at 20 - 30 mph but nowhere near as bad as it was. I did notice that when I put it 4x4 low a lot of the play was gone when I crawled back under there. Had good bit of rust in yoke bearings so I'll get that fixed. Just curious if the front shaft is typically loose when its in 2H?

Also noticed a few more things while I was under there. Seal in front diff is bad and needs to be replaced. RMS is bad too but that job doesn't look to be very bad at all. I'll pick up pan gasket, RMS and some fresh oil this week. I'll look around for the newby articles on those jobs. snapped a few pics while I was under there. I'll post em up in a few.

bluedragon436
12-11-2011, 10:35 AM
When you are in 2H the front DS will be somewhat loose, as it isn't engaged like it is in any 4WD position.

As far as the RMS.. check this for a DIY (http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearMain.htm) writeup that I know quite a few folks on here have used.

denverd1
12-11-2011, 12:50 PM
So what does that tell me about vibes? Was planning on SYE to help with things but I dont think that will help a lot if the front shaft causing it.... what else should I look for?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

denverd1
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Here are a few pics of the rear shaft and pinion angle.
http://flic.kr/p/aV4fJV
http://flic.kr/p/aV4fkK
http://flic.kr/p/aV4eRc - not clear, but shows t-case and shaft
http://flic.kr/p/aV4gdz

Found some new tires and picking them up tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it dirty!