PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rubbing Issue

Dale
12-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Need help with respect to what needs adjusting on front suspension so tires don't rub. I have a 96 XJ with a 3 inch lift with 31 x 10 BF Goodrich All terrain tires. My question is do I need upper or lower adjustable control arms to stop the rubbing? Or is there something I am missing? It tracks straight and tires are centered and no wobble at 65 mph. Don't want to start cutting in to anything yet.

Mudderoy
12-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Need help with respect to what needs adjusting on front suspension so tires don't rub. I have a 96 XJ with a 3 inch lift with 31 x 10 BF Goodrich All terrain tires. My question is do I need upper or lower adjustable control arms to stop the rubbing? Or is there something I am missing? It tracks straight and tires are centered and no wobble at 65 mph. Don't want to start cutting in to anything yet.

Where is it rubbing? Only when turning the wheels or going straight over bumps/flexing?

cantab27
12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
be rubbing on arms at full lock..????? different rims with different offset...or spacers...

Dale
12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
It rubs on the lower rear part of fender next to the cab on the drivers side and passenger. When I turn the wheel about 2/3 the way to lock from center when turning on level ground. Have American chrome rims, where does it list the info on the rims so I can look up off set etc?
Thanks

bigjim350
12-03-2011, 07:20 PM
If your on stock control arms you can get either adj ones, or some set up for 3" lift which should move your axle further forward. Or you can adjust and modify your steering stops on your knuckles.

Dale
12-03-2011, 08:59 PM
How do you adjust steering stops on the knuckles??:confused:

bigjim350
12-03-2011, 11:27 PM
http://liftyourxj.com/tweaks#SteeringStops

Mudderoy
12-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Be careful moving the axle forward, you have a limited amount of drive shaft. With 4.5" lift and 32" tires I had to do minimal trimming forward and rearward of the wheel well. It was all plastic, no metal trimming.

bluedragon436
12-04-2011, 09:57 AM
It is sounding like you are doing the same thing I am doing on my XJ.. Granted I have more lift, and larger tires.. but it is rubbing at the rear of my fenders a bit due to my axle being back a bit because of having arms that are made for a lift three inches lower than I am sitting at.. so am wondering if you are running stock arms if it might not be the same thing.. take a look at your axle from the side, while the tires are straight and see if it looks like your axle isn't a little bit rearward of center.. If it looks like it is centered, then try turning a bit to where it normally would rub, and then get out and look and see what it is rubbing on.. if it is the flare a bit, then you can trim that some... all it is, is just a bit of plastic, no metal trimming..

LizardRunner
12-14-2011, 09:09 PM
adjustable Lower Control Arms. I would get Andy's. To stop the rub you need to move the axle back to its proper angular postion for correct steering geometry. Then you will know where to trim and how much. If you move the axle forward you might need a new, longer front axle.