PDA

View Full Version : Weird brake problems

Johnxdoe
12-01-2011, 11:06 AM
So about 6 months ago I replaced everything in my rear brakes, minus the actual drums. New shoes, wheel cylinders and all new hardware. Well we shipped the jeep from Japan to Germany, and now the left rear brake will randomly sound like it's "dragging". Makes kind of a I guess scrapping squeal noise. Today i pulled the rear wheels off to look at it and the left rear brake was very very hot! But the right one wasn't. Now I probably drove it like 20 miles to get to the shop. I readjusted and cleaned both rear brakes, the RR was pretty far out of adjustment. Well on the way home the LR was still making the noise. It's very random, will do while turning left, right, driving straight so there's no really pattern to it?? Could this maybe be from the bearing on that side? Also the front seal on my rear diff looks to be leaking pretty bad, but the diff is full? :crazy:

Also I'm losing brake fluid from some where. I've tried to find the leak but can't seem to track it down. I'm strongly thinking of just redoing the whole brake system, New calipers, hoses, master cylinder, pads and rotors. I can't think of anywhere else it could be leaking from. :confused:

XJ Wheeler
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Did you have the drums "turned" when you replaced the shoes?

Sounds kinda like a leaking wheel cylinder, sometimes you can get a defective part. When you get brake fluid on the shoes they like to lock up.

Johnxdoe
12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I didn't have the drums turned. Never really turned drums since their on the rear and I've never really seen them warped. Guess that could be it though since they sound kinda like it. And no brake fluid in the drum or on the shoes. Their not really locking up, I've had that before and it doesn't feel like that, more just making noise. My brakes still work fine but could just be the fronts over working!

Mudderoy
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
It's just one brake line from the master cylinder to the rear brakes right? I was thinking it could be a master cylinder issue.

Also have you completely replaced all the fluid? I didn't check to see what year you Jeep is but I've recently heard that replacing the brake fluid in the system is a good idea as it can break down. Of course they could just be pushing their sponsor's $50 product that allows you to do that. :D

Johnxdoe
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah just one line that goes to a dist block. Maybe the block is bad? And i go through a master cylinder full of brake fluid about once a month with the mysterious leak. So the fluid is pretty new

Mudderoy
12-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Yeah just one line that goes to a dist block. Maybe the block is bad? And i go through a master cylinder full of brake fluid about once a month with the mysterious leak. So the fluid is pretty new

I was just trying to think of why one brake would act differently than the other, hmmm, I don't have a lot of experience with the drum brakes... yet. :D

Did you have this issue before you replaced the brake parts?

Hmmm just re-reading your post. After my wife spun her Mustang and hit a concrete wall with the rear quarter panel and driver's side wheel, she started going through rear disk pads very quickly on that side. I had to add a couple of washers to the bracket to move the outside pads further away from the rotor (rear disc brakes).

I wonder if maybe your Jeep took a hard shot during shipping.

xj4life2
12-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Check the alignment of the shoes into the wheel cylinder. You may not have it seated in there correctly , this would cause a leak at the cyl and cause the brakes to go out of adj and drag. I would specifically tear down the offending side and re do it from the ground up , use the same parts just pay close attention to alignment and fitment.

olliewagon
12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
check parking cable and the back of master cylinder where the push rod goes from brake pedel, for the leak

cantab27
12-10-2011, 02:30 AM
updates mate...you get it figured out

LizardRunner
12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
The hot brake is a signal to check the wheel bearings. Shoe alignment can cause the squeek like mentioned above. The dissapearing brake fluid is most likely at the Booster/Mastercylinder connection. check the bottom of the booster can for any rust or oily residue. Drums need to be turned mostly so you don't have a ridge on the shoe surface, plus it makes the shoes seat better.

jdougn
12-16-2011, 09:36 AM
My first XJ did this when the parking brake was out of adjustment. Some of your symptoms might also be caused by trapped air. Does the brake pedal feel right or is it soft? But with fluid leaking you may have other issues.