PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 axle mount bent...

Metlic53
11-29-2011, 09:42 AM
i was off roading with my 90 XJ, 32" swampers and 4.5" RC lift, and hit a hole under some water and it stopped the jeep in its tracks ( i was doing about 10mph), rear tires came off the ground for a minute, all on the passenger front side. i got out to see if anything had bent cuz i hit pretty hard and the lower axle mount on the passenger side is bent just slightly, you cant really tell much by looking but i can tell when driving that something is is off slightly, only slightly! should i unbolt the control arm and hammer it back to its original position and put some tac welds on it? its knocked over maybe an inch or two out of position. it still drives great, just pulls to the right barely. Thanks!

Mudderoy
11-29-2011, 09:53 AM
i was off roading with my 90 XJ, 32" swampers and 4.5" RC lift, and hit a hole under some water and it stopped the jeep in its tracks ( i was doing about 10mph), rear tires came off the ground for a minute, all on the passenger front side. i got out to see if anything had bent cuz i hit pretty hard and the lower axle mount on the passenger side is bent just slightly, you cant really tell much by looking but i can tell when driving that something is is off slightly, only slightly! should i unbolt the control arm and hammer it back to its original position and put some tac welds on it? its knocked over maybe an inch or two out of position. it still drives great, just pulls to the right barely. Thanks!

I thought my axle mount was bent after a trip to creekside because my steering wheel was 90 or 180 degrees off after trying to climb a river bank. Three months later I figured out it was a bent track bar.

Metlic53
11-29-2011, 09:58 AM
they both could be bent then, cuz the rubber bushing in the control arm is squeezing out one side lol

Mudderoy
11-29-2011, 10:06 AM
they both could be bent then, cuz the rubber bushing in the control arm is squeezing out one side lol

Get you some MOOG bushings, they are like $25 and replace them. Do the sway bar at the same time, another $12

Metlic53
11-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Get you some MOOG bushings, they are like $25 and replace them. Do the sway bar at the same time, another $12

only problem is how do i get the bushings out of the RC arms? Someone said they have to be pressed out i believe...

4.3LXJ
11-29-2011, 04:23 PM
The RC bushings are not rubber. If they look OK, then they are. First I would straighten the bracket. Then use a level against the side of the fender or flair and see where it hits on the tire on both sides. That will tell you if there is a significant bend in the track bar.

XJ Wheeler
11-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Personally i would weld on a brace to connect both sides of the mount like those "skids" they sell. That is once you've beaten it back in place, of course.

bluedragon436
11-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Yeah I would def. recommend adding a brace of some sorts to that mount once you straighten it out... otherwise it will now be weaker, and will tweak again even easier than it did the first time around..

msmoorenburg
11-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Add skids, after Rene bent his that's what we did and no more issues