PDA

View Full Version : Need electrical help

OrangeXJ
11-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Drove it yesterday went to start it today nothing electrieal works at all. Battery is compleatly dead. Put my jump box on the battery and still nothing not even the dome light. Any ideas?

4.3LXJ
11-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Greg, it is a pain in the neck, but pull a battery out of something else and hook it up. Batteries can get shorts inside and kill themselves. That is unless you have a volt meter so you can test the battery voltage.

OrangeXJ
11-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I think I found the problem the rear hatch was left cracked open so the dome light was on all night. Checked voltage in the jeep 0 volts took it out to put on the charger it had 7 volts. Maybe the battery was to low for my jump box not to work. So I will charge it up real good and try again.

Thanks Steve

BlueXJ
11-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Greg don't forget to let us know what you find., I hate electrical problems.

4.3LXJ
11-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I think I found the problem the rear hatch was left cracked open so the dome light was on all night. Checked voltage in the jeep 0 volts took it out to put on the charger it had 7 volts. Maybe the battery was to low for my jump box not to work. So I will charge it up real good and try again.

Thanks Steve

No problem. I have found that when jump starting a vehicle it needs to have some charge in it or it just didn't do well. I used to jump cars at a gas station where I worked fresh out of high school and found that I had to let them charge off my system for about ten minutes or they wouldn't crank fast enough. It might have been my cheap jumpers, but that was what was available then. If you have a gel battery like an Optima, 7 volts is almost nothing.

OrangeXJ
11-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I checked all the fuses and they were all good. I have never had any electrical problems so hopefully a hot battery will fix the problem.

cantab27
11-25-2011, 12:52 AM
paint it green fella......................

bluedragon436
11-25-2011, 04:25 AM
I hope that your issues all came from the hatch being left cracked open, and it just having too dead of a battery!!

OrangeXJ
11-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Me too, I'll know in a couple of hours

Mudderoy
11-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Replace those dome lights with LEDs, cheap and easy. Sounds like you may have a bad battery so wouldn't make a big diff here but it will help in the future.

OrangeXJ
11-25-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I checked all the fuses and they were all good. I have never had any electrical problems so hopefully a hot battery will fix the problem.

That was the problem the battery was too low to boost. I also found an other cause as to why it went dead with just a dome light on. It has a alarm system on it and when the voltage gets low (like your stealing the battrey the head lights flash on and off) Got lucky on this one. I hate tracing wireing problems.

4.3LXJ
11-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I see, the plot thickens. I hate security systems.

OrangeXJ
11-25-2011, 01:26 PM
paint it green fella......................

I want it to run :poke:

cpttuna
11-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Point of information: when I purchase a new battery,I record the date of purchase and installation. I have a personal preference to replace batteries every 5 years if they last that long. I hate having a battery go dead on me at the wrong time. I have been doing this since the battery in our van went dead on vacation. I had jumper cables but spent 2 hrs in a parking lot with the wife and 3 kids waiting for a jump.